What's it like learning English as a second language?

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've always spoken English so I've never found it weird or that hard to grasp but I know that in some places you're required to learn English and I've heard from some people that English is really weird to learn.
For those of you with English as your second language, what was it like learning it? Was it by choice or did you learn it in school?

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know someone who is French and she started learning English 4 years ago and now is pretty fluent in it. She said she likes it better than French and it wasn't that difficult to learn.

Last edited by DarkFlare69,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Learnt it in school. The only weird thing is the pronounciation. Just see how even you (not you you, but native English-speaking people) confuse then/than, compatible/compatable, kernel/kernal, etc. That's because you could even write krnl and it would be pronounced the same way as kernel/kernal/whatever. Which is really annoying for people which native language has precise rules to tell how to pronounce stuff. Well ok, we have a lot of rules (like the fact that a "o" isn't pronounced the same if followed by a "n", or if followed by a "u"), but we still have rules. And the second hard thing in pronounciation is long vowels. Coming from a language with no long vowels, it's hard to pronounce "slip" and "sleep" differently without feeling like a retard.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Here in Portugal, it's learned by everyone in school from the age of 6, and for at least 9 years, with most people having 11 years of lessons. However, due to the general population's poor level of English, learning goals are kept quite low in the official public-school curriculum. Nonetheless, since we get most entertainment media (movies, TV shows, video games, etc) subbed, as opposed to Spain, France and Italy, where most of it is dubbed, the younger generation has a pretty good level of proficiency in informal American English, and thus tourists find it mostly easy to communicate around here, despite typical grammatical errors and mispronounciations. As for myself, it doesn't sound weird to me at all because of the aforementioned reasons (maybe even mostly due to the fact that I was a Pokémaniac - games were in English, I repeat - from the age of 5) and the Advanced English program in my school, which meant that we graduated high school with a C2 level certificate in English (it's the maximum level, if you're not familiar with the grading system). For me, what's actually weird is the (understandable) fact that English-speaking people may very well go through life without having to learn a second language to any significant level unless they live abroad or their line of work requires it. Whereas people from European countries are usually fairly proficient in 3-5 languages, as long as they come from a fairly high, or at least educated social background.

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
correct_on0eo6.jpg

Last edited by BORTZ, , Reason: let's avoid posting huge images like that ok

darkseekerliu

Advanced Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am from Brazil. Here, in regular public school, the english classes begin on 5th grade and goes until you finish the high school. Unfortunately the quality is not great, so if you really want to learn you have to go to a private english course. For me, it was not that hard because I always wanted to understand what was written on the games (specially megaman X2 in SNES). I can speak, write and understand very well, but always make some confusion/mistakes regarding the use of (IN, ON, AT) - there's some logic, but only native speakers use these prepositions 100% correctly. I also studied spanish (very close to portuguese) and italian, and I can say they are much harder to learn than english. But in a global world, to know how to speak english is mandatory just like to know math. The hardest part is always the listening, due to several different accents. But this is normal, every language has this problem. The northern brazilians use some words that only they use, so they sound weird for us in the southern part of Brazil. That's it.

Last edited by darkseekerliu,

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I had no problem learning English growing up, mostly because my grandma had a couple of books that were in english (textbooks from my mother I think) and I used to play with those as a kid (plus, she helped me out a lot in the early stages of learning ).
After I got over the textbook stuff I started playing ps1 and since no croatian option was available i preferred using English (my mom would sometimes force me to play games in Italian since I know that as well but I would always secretly reset the game and start it in english xD ).

All in all not hard, everyone always told us while we were kids that English is used worldwide and we might as well learn it so we went with it.

Reactions: Seliph
D

Deleted User

Meh, PC games did their thing.
As you can guess, we are forced here to learn English and then either Deutsch or Russian.
Ugh...

Overally, I don't have problems with Englando but grammar sometimes is just wanky.

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Meh, PC games did their thing.
As you can guess, we are forced here to learn English and then either Deutsch or Russian.
Ugh...

Overally, I don't have problems with Englando but grammar sometimes is just wanky.
Don't forget Japanese or Spanish, or french or Swahili

Reactions: Deleted User

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I had no problem learning English growing up, mostly because my grandma had a couple of books that were in english (textbooks from my mother I think) and I used to play with those as a kid (plus, she helped me out a lot in the early stages of learning ).
After I got over the textbook stuff I started playing ps1 and since no croatian option was available i preferred using English (my mom would sometimes force me to play games in Italian since I know that as well but I would always secretly reset the game and start it in english xD ).

All in all not hard, everyone always told us while we were kids that English is used worldwide and we might as well learn it so we went with it.
Oh hello my western neighbour :-)

Reactions: _v3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1