What's is the "bricking Wii" thing?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by clark2k, Jun 3, 2007.

Jun 3, 2007
  1. clark2k
    OP

Member clark2k GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I am new to Wii hacking scene, and a have read a lot of forums with people saying stuff about bricking your Wii if you play a patched Mario Strikers PAL on a NTSC console...

I tried to figure out reading a lot of posts but one doubt remains...

I have updated my Wii from WiFi Service before playing Super Paper Mario, and it played fine.
    I don't remember if it asked again an update after I put the backup disk of SPM, but, as I said, it worked without bricking anyhing.

The question: If I try to play patched Mario Srikers PAL on my NTSC, will it brick?

Thank a lot..!

2. Yessy2952

Newcomer Yessy2952 Advanced Member

United States
    Well brick basically means you're wii is as useless as a brick.
    It's fucked.
    Anyways I have no idea about the Mario game..I barely bought a Wii today
    [​IMG]

3. bell

Newcomer bell Member

Sweden
    Bricking a Wii by running a game from a different region happens because some games upgrades the Wii firmware with an update from the wrong region. From all reports I've seen it is never a problem if you make sure that your Wii is fully upgraded before running such a game.

As for the specific game you ask about the things I've read about it is that if it updates your Wii with the wrong file you can still play games but you cannot enter the Wii settings. It's not as bad as the Super Paper Mario on a PAL or JAP system brick that makes the whole Wii completely useless but it's still not good thing if it happens.

Always make sure your Wii is running the latest firmware and always search the web before running the lates games from a different region.

4. Goldcoastr

Newcomer Goldcoastr Advanced Member

Australia
    Basicly you dont want to know or find out

[​IMG]

5. RingKing97

Member RingKing97 Advanced Member

United States

sadly this has happened to me [​IMG] i can't setup my wireless not hopiong to god for soem sort of update soon and a way to patch it :'(

6. legoblocks

Newcomer legoblocks Member

Canada
    which game did you patch to do this? SPM? I patched using Mario Strikers PAL with no problems, but I ensured I had the most recent update before hand. [​IMG]

7. EarthBound

Member EarthBound a/s/l?

United States