Hacking What's cheapest way to get multirom backups working on NEW 3ds?

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to have all my games on one cartridge ideally, and I don't want to use wifi.

Is that possible with the new 3ds?

What do I need to carry around with me apart from the charger?

I want to be able to power off whenever I want.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I want to have all my games on one cartridge ideally, and I don't want to use wifi.

Is that possible with the new 3ds?

What do I need to carry around with me apart from the charger?

I want to be able to power off whenever I want.

what fw version are you on? sky3ds or gw are recommeneded

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're on 9.3 or higher, a Sky3DS is all you will need. It's rather limited in what it can do (multiple games on it, takes several seconds to cycle through each one by pressing a button on the cart). There's no region free or any other interesting features, it just 'acts' like an official cart.

If you're on 9.2 or lower definitely get a Gateway. The downside here is you'll need to carry around either Ocarina of Time 3DS or Cubic Ninja with you to load the Gateway menu, then you swap to the Gateway card.

Reactions: escherbach

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on 9.0
If you're on 9.3 or higher, a Sky3DS is all you will need. It's rather limited in what it can do (multiple games on it, takes several seconds to cycle through each one by pressing a button on the cart). There's no region free or any other interesting features, it just 'acts' like an official cart.

If you're on 9.2 or lower definitely get a Gateway. The downside here is you'll need to carry around either Ocarina of Time 3DS or Cubic Ninja with you to load the Gateway menu, then you swap to the Gateway card.

I'm on 9.0, cheers, so I'll try to get hold of Ocarina of Time 3DS (or Cubic Ninja if it's a LOT cheaper - but I'd rather have the OoT cart)

escherbach

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
what fw version are you on? sky3ds or gw are recommeneded

lol, yes I get that general idea, but want the cheapest solution and fewest #items to carry around with the new 3ds

Sorry to start a separate thread, but it's a little confusing to get such basic information from the mega threads.

Sky3DS is not preferred beacuse of clunky game choice method, but it's at least a one cart solution. Gateway is better if it'just one extra cartridge to carry around AND wifi is not needed (unless the extra cartridge is extremely expensive - need to get an ocarina of time 3ds cart quick methinks)

edit: fw 9.0 btw

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
qq3ds, if you don't have cubic ninja or ocarina of time already.

or can get one for a tenner.

xox ignore gw/sky fangirls this is cheapest option.

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your goal is to carry around as little as possible, you want a Sky3DS. Gateway requires an extra cartridge in order to work on the New 3DS.

Do note that, since it sounds like you're trying to do everything legitimately (high five!), you'll need a way to actually create backups of your game carts. This can be done with the Gateway menu, but while you can get to the Gateway Menu without actually owning a Gateway, you will need either a spare Old 3DS with firmware 9.2 or below, or—if your New 3DS has firmware 9.2 or below—a copy of Cubic Ninja*.

Also, while the Sky3DS is a good way to avoid carrying around game carts that you already have, I recommend also buying any future games on the eShop. Having too many games on the Sky3DS can be annoying, as it requires you to press the blue button multiple times to select the right title.

*I'm not mentioning the Ocarina of Time exploit, because you cannot transfer save data without the Gateway menu, and if he already has the Gateway menu, he wouldn't need Ocarina of Time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: