Gaming What's better Windows tablet or laptop?

Abu_Senpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
So I have never owned a Px or laptop before
I do have a tablet which I received free its called the Adtab 7 its a android tablet.

So I'm currently doing my Gcses and soon IF I get into 6th form I willbe studying subjects that are mainly coursework so ill need a laptop or tablet.

So to sum it up I need a tablet or laptop which can run all the regular windows apps (office/word/PowerPoint)
But also I've never had a laptop or Windows tablet before ever.
So I also want to use it for online gaming
Mainly id like it to be able to run star wars battlefront 2 and GtaIV or some good games like that.

So all my friends are telling me to buy the windows tablet but I thought I'd ask you ysers at gbatemp your opinion.

If I get a Windows tablet
Can it do what I need it to do.
What is the best one to buy
I would like a good price tablet.

Abu_Senpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Well gaming ofc a laptop, however for the whole school thing, a windows tablet.
I would recommend the Surface Pro 2 it costs next to nothing but still got a i5 and 4gb or ram with 128gb ssd (400-500$) that would fit your needs somewhat :)

I need gaming and school it must work properly with both

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, tablet do not replace laptop at all. An laptop is much more powerful than tablet. However, if you prefer tablet for school then tablet is your best bet. If you want gaming and other things that tablet cannot do then laptop is the one you are looking for. I do not care about tablet, really. For schoo, I will still use laptop because it is more flexible and more features than tablet. Just saying. :)

lytro

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
gaming ->desktop PC, unless you spend a unreasonable amount of cash on your laptop...

school -> laptop

got money to burn? -> tablet

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My surface pro 1 can game (xcom, CivV, FF7, from what I've tried), so battlefront should run fine on a pro 2 or 3. GTA4... No idea, since it's a bad console port by all accounts (as in poorly optimised for PC so far more resource intensive than it should be).

Tablets and most low end laptops use the graphics built into the processor. If you want better gaming performance in a laptop at a cheap price (losing processor strength and speed), look for a laptop with an A8 or A10 APU. If you want to play big demanding games and that's your priority, then get a gaming laptop (£700 and up) with discreet mobile graphics, but you'll lose portability and battery life.
But if your main priority is work and gaming is just a bonus on the side... Intel's integrated graphics will still work fine in Surface Pro tablets and the Pro 3 has the bonus of a very long battery life.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Remember, tablet do not replace laptop at all. An laptop is much more powerful than tablet. However, if you prefer tablet for school then tablet is your best bet. If you want gaming and other things that tablet cannot do then laptop is the one you are looking for. I do not care about tablet, really. For schoo, I will still use laptop because it is more flexible and more features than tablet. Just saying. :)

not really true, A SP2 is more powerful than the laptops at the same price range, at least here in Sweden ;)

Abu_Senpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
[quote="Lacius, post: 5286547, member: 124912"You could get a tablet that accomplishes both, but your safest bet appears to be a laptop if it must work properly with both.[/quote]

Ok and what's the best and cheapest laptop
I need a model
Uk price

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaming desktop PC + Portable Cheap Laptop

Please don't go down the Gaming Laptop route. In theory, its amazing. In practice, its shit.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gaming PC + cheap tablet + attachable keyboard is probably your best bet, really. Gaming laptops are heavy, not that great compared to PCs, probably hard to upgrade and obscenely expensive.

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laptops under $1000 are not 'made' for gaming! At all! They can play old games released before 2010 at good graphics and frame rate. But for anything higher, you need alienware to reach such settings. And alienwares cost an arm. These under $1000 laptops will run modern games at minimumest of settings, if able to run at all. I say all this from a vision of a hardcore gamer. So for gaming, a desktop is optimum. Why you ask? I will explain all this if you like me to!
Now about a tablet. A tablet is basically a versatile mini lappy, which compromises even more power to portability! But it doesn't lag behind. Not at all after nvidia started poking its fingers even more into this line. The outcome, guys and gals, is the NVIDIA SHIELD TABLET. It is a gamers dream come true! It packs impressive hardware, controller support, exclusive nVidia grid, advanced streaming, and much more into a gorilla glass shell! Tablets have arms and legs into both lines, but maintain an impressive balance. They can be connected with monitors, keyboards, headsets and other accessories! And they support great titles like Galaxy on Fire 2 and Ravensword! But it is talking of android here... You can get Kingsoft office on it which makes it to Microsoft office too!
So its up to you to desire now....

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
nVidia Shield is an option if you want to stream your games from your gaming PC. Although being an Android based tablet does limit it to Android apps, compared to the Surface Pro which has a full version of Windows 8.1 installed and can run any PC application, game, etc. As mentioned, it's not made for gaming, but it can game. Just really depends what you want to play on it and where your priorities lie (work or play).

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nVidia Shield is an option if you want to stream your games from your gaming PC. Although being an Android based tablet does limit it to Android apps, compared to the Surface Pro which has a full version of Windows 8.1 installed and can run any PC application, game, etc. As mentioned, it's not made for gaming, but it can game. Just really depends what you want to play on it and where your priorities lie (work or play).

Its puny compared to nVidia!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Its puny compared to nVidia!

Different market. There's no one answer to everything. Sure the Shield is perfect for Android and Tegra optimised games, but that's limited to games found on the Android, Amazon and Shield app stores. Windows apps won't work, so you'll need to find android alternatives. And there are times when you don't need an android environment but a Windows environment for better productivity. That's where the Surface Pro comes into its own. That and if you compare the Intel Core i5 (for SP2, i3-i7 for SP3) and Intel HD 4400 against the ARM A15 SoC and Tegra K1.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Let the consumer decide which is better for their needs (or if they want to be like me and get one of everything).

Reactions: TheLoneWolfGamer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: