MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I have a work laptop, but it's not very special for gaming.

Intel Dual-Core 2.0 GHz processor (32-Bit)
2GB RAM
Intel Express 945 Series graphic chipset (128MB)
Windows 7 32-Bit

Portal even runs slow at points, especially when there's a big map with a lot going on. Anyways, what's a good FPS for me? I'm tired of all of the war ones (like, real warfare ones like Call of Duty), I want something... over-the-top. Kinda like Quake 2 (which doesn't run very good on my machine... but it's acceptable). What's one I can run with good settings and a 1280x800 resolution and get good performance from?

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, if quake 2 isn't running great than there might not be hope.

Maybe try counterstrike 1.6 / condition zero
But that's not to over the top

Unreal Tournament might strike your interest.
Combat arms might work, kinds of a counter strike knock-off

left for dead is crazy, but you would need a better comp
frown.gif

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your problem is the Intel Express 945 Series. If you had a desktop you could install a graphics card and fix that issue but very few laptops allow you to upgrade your GPU.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, my roommate actually has a copy of C&C Renegade somewhere. I find it very WEIRD, because when I think C&C I think RTS, not FPS. But I hear it's really good. I also heard Unreal Tournament is good, so I might try that one out if my laptop can handle it. And I've got L4D and L4D2 on my 360.
tongue.gif

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory? It's hard for a Wolfenstein game to be as good as Wolfenstein 3D, but I'll look into it. I hope it's not that brand new Wolfenstein game, because that one sucked.

And yeah, I know my problem is my graphics chipset. If my summer business pulls in enough money, I'm gonna build myself a custom gaming rig. I can fit a decent one together for under $800, monitor, mouse, and keyboard included. But for now, I'll check those games out. Thanks guys.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
GreatCrippler said:
Side thought... You oughta be able to pick up a PCI Nvidia 8400 pretty cheap. It's crap, but much better than what you have.
Do you know the person has a laptop, and therefore, has (almost) no options to upgrade. Not to mention that it might ruin his warranty...

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
GreatCrippler said:
Side thought... You oughta be able to pick up a PCI Nvidia 8400 pretty cheap. It's crap, but much better than what you have.
Do you know the person has a laptop, and therefore, has (almost) no options to upgrade. Not to mention that it might ruin his warranty...

Laptop... right... 2:30am here... I think it's bedtime. ^^

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Skyline969 said:

Kinda like Quake 2 (which doesn't run very good on my machine... but it's acceptable). What's one I can run with good settings and a 1280x800 resolution and get good performance from?

Get the very latest graphic card drivers off the intel web site for your 945. Quake 2 uses opengl and not direct3d(directx), unless you have left it on software renderer. As bad as your card is, it should run smoothly on it. Windows default drivers for gpus usually have crap opengl support.

Overload180

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys:

my kids have laptops with intel 945G, 1gb ram and 1.6ghz gpu. ive tried many games on their laptops and a few that i can say work pretty darn good are .

Max Payne 1 and 2
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Deus X
Land of the Dead
Day Of The Dead
half-life 1 (NONE SOURCE)
Unreal Tournament
Unreal
GTA 3 and Vice City
Quake 3 LIve

all these games are very playable on their lowest settings with all extra filters turned off.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds like we have same laptops.
Intel 945 sucks alot

Sadly, Penumbra: overture does not work.
Portal works with lowest settings but lag persists.
Half-life 2 works great with few lag

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
YourHero said:
Counter strike source at best.
True, and I plan on getting it as soon as I get enough cash saved up to actually buy it from Steam so I can play it online.

Njrg said:
Unreal Tournament 2004 runs fine and doesn't look too ugly by today's standards.
I'm downloading Unreal Tournament 3... what's the difference between that and UT2k4?

Berthenk said:
GreatCrippler said:

Haha yeah, I couldn't install a PCI card if I wanted to. But like I said, if I can scrape up enough money over the summer from my business I'm starting, I'm gonna built myself a gaming rig.

Posts merged

Edhel said:
Skyline969 said:

Kinda like Quake 2 (which doesn't run very good on my machine... but it's acceptable). What's one I can run with good settings and a 1280x800 resolution and get good performance from?

Get the very latest graphic card drivers off the intel web site for your 945. Quake 2 uses opengl and not direct3d(directx), unless you have left it on software renderer. As bad as your card is, it should run smoothly on it. Windows default drivers for gpus usually have crap opengl support.
Unfortunately, my laptop is one of the only two that Dell does not have Windows 7 drivers for. They recommend installing the Vista drivers, so I might install them for my video card if I haven't done so already (I can't remember if I have or not).

QUOTE(GundamXXX @ May 15 2010, 09:05 AM)
most source games should work

advice is. go to gamespot and look for any games before 2005
Portal is a source game, and it still lags a little bit on the lowest settings for me. But I'll try one more source game just to be sure. I currently run Half-Life (not Source) on the max settings (with bloom, etc) and it works great for me.

QUOTE(beegee7730 @ May 15 2010, 11:29 AM)
You can emulate any console up to and including Dreamcast.
True, but FPS on consoles on PCs (if that makes sense) seems just so... counter-intuitive. I play FPS on a PC because I can a lot better precision from a mouse than from an analog stick.

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Unfortunately, my laptop is one of the only two that Dell does not have Windows 7 drivers for. They recommend installing the Vista drivers, so I might install them for my video card if I haven't done so already (I can't remember if I have or not).

No, don't go to Dell's website, go to Intel's Website.

Here's the direct link to what you need: Intel GMA 945 Driver for 32-Bit Windows 7

Hmm, not so direct I guess. Just choose your OS from the list.

Never get your drivers from anyone other than the manufacturer of the specific hardware, Intel in this case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol