What's a good, cheap webhost if I don't plan to get a lot of traffic?

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My needs:

2-5 GB storage space
1-3 GB per month bandwidth
PHP

I only need enough for personal storage space and to sync files between devices. I'll handle the syncing myself or through third-party software. The PHP requirement is so I can use it to test unrelated web design stuff, but it isn't that important.

I don't really need a domain name, but if it's cheap enough, maybe.

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Pi would be perfect but my internet has slow upload speeds, which would mean slow download speeds from other networks. Since I plan to do most of my downloading/syncing from mobile and hotspots it kind of rules it out for now.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Any particular reason you don't just use a filesharing service or something? Google Drive gives you 15GB of storage free, don't have to bother paying for a webhost at all if all you want to do is share some files between devices remotely. Can't do PHP that way, but ehhh at that point just do whatever locally unless you really want to share it with others.

Otherwise a lot of webhost will have like little $5 a month plans for small sites, I think DreamHost has one, and Ipower has one for $5 or so as well.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look into Oracle Cloud's free tier. It gives 45GB storage for free. You'll need to set up everything manually (wordpress, PHP, etc.) but it works really well in my opinion

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If you are interested in some DIY, that will get you cheaper prices and more control:
For around $3 a month you can rent a (virtual) server in Europe, install some linux on it, install nginx and php, and then you are basically done.
Not ridiculously simple, but not difficult.

You say you want to test some web development, and if you want to really pursue that, you should be able to set up stuff like this - so good practice!
https://hetzner.com
https://hetzner.com
Any questions let me know, I've used this company for a few years, I highly recommend them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night