1. KokoseiJ

KokoseiJ GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast

Korea, South
    Grand Theft Auto Online.

Game is full of bugs, modders everywhere, dull contents, userbase is toxic and rockstar is absolutely shit at managing their games. You eventually end up grinding something since the inflation is enormous. All of my friends hate that game.

But even so, I join the game time to time out of nowhere and drive cars around for some minutes. as every other games by them do, GTAO also has something that keeps making me go back to that game.

BigOnYa and OldBoi like this.
  2. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
    Developer

United States
    I'm going to go ahead and state a controversial opinion here, since I played a game lately that gave me this exact feeling: Persona 5 Royal.

Persona 5 was long enough as-is. They made it even longer.

Worse yet, at around Okumura it begins to get incredibly unbalanced gameplay-wise if you play on any of the middle difficulty settings: only Safety and Merciless are remotely tolerable starting at around there, because otherwise the game becomes a baton pass DPT check bullshit simulator. Safety is okay because enemies are wimps. Merciless is okay because the exploit multiplier is 3x instead of 2x. It's not "deep" or "strategic" like people in reviews seem to pretend, it's a pain in the fucking ass and worse than the original Persona 5 for it. Don't even get me started on the final final boss. That battle is just crap. They stacked too fucking many gimmicks in that battle, and there's a roughly 1/6 chance a given turn will go horribly awry (unavoidable boss recovery, near-dead party and unable to heal, etc.) People also seem to cite Palaces being shorter or something, but that's not really the case unless you deliberately ignore the will seeds (and the completionist in me won't allow that)

On top of all the mechanical problems: the original conclusion to Persona 5 was fine. I also feel like the plot changes actually detracted from the feeling of that last part. Kasumi adds approximately nothing to the plot. She's boring and I could see the uno reverse coming from a mile away. Akechi is still Akechi, which is to say a piece of shit. Maruki is uncompelling. It feels like they tried to shoehorn him in, but it doesn't really work and weakens the whole game. None of the characters are significantly improved by the extra content, they're still as shallow as ever.

All in all, the whole time I was playing I just wanted it to be over once I got past the 40hr mark. It should have been DLC.

Last edited by chaoskagami, May 8, 2021
  3. Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Fire Emblem three House

IDK why this Harry Potter spin off has such high ratings. I painfully finished the campaign with the blue guy. The more I progressed, the more I wanted to stop playing this crap.

Somehow I enjoyed the previous entries more. Even finished Awakening twice

OldBoi likes this.
  4. Ishzark

Ishzark GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I had a hard time finishing Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the first "young Tomb Raider" game was awesome af, the second one also got me playing for hours straight but the last one was so bad I even considered not finishing it in the first place(and even after I finished it I'm still asking myself why I hate myself this much)

also had a bad time with Octopath Traveler - don't know why but I just couldn't get into it

5. 1B51004

1B51004 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Paper Mario Sticker Star. I had it as a kid and I liked it a lot. Now that I'm older, I knew there were better games so I rejected it. But I somehow kept on coming back to it!
    Now I lost it behind my TV and I have no idea where it is. I feel as though a small, forgotten-about part of my heart is gone.

OldBoi likes this.
  6. notrea11y

notrea11y GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Finally someone says it like it is.

Yup. Yup and Yup.
    That, and many other reasons make me prefer Strikers.
    PS5 is just waaaaay to long.
    Even watching a friend play it made me die a lil inside.
    Oh and also: F##k Morgana.
    You'd be right to call that one a 'Racoon' by any way.

OldBoi likes this.
  7. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was going to be upset if nobody mentioned OSRS, lol. Hell, one of the subreddit's main running jokes is that the game is miserable to play but we're all too addicted to stop!

Ishzark and OldBoi like this.
  8. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

United States
    pokemon sword...god I hate this souless husk of what could have been amazing but at lest the online raid battles are fun

Last edited by Something whatever, May 8, 2021
    BlazeMasterBM, 1B51004 and OldBoi like this.
  9. DS1

DS1 伝説のサラリーマン

United States
    Yeah, as much as I loved and anticipated that game, the extra stuff just felt like a “side story” and didn’t add anything to the original. Same deal with Catherine Full Body, outside of general improvements (different modes, more songs in the jukebox), the shoehorned plot stuff was lazy.

chaoskagami and OldBoi like this.
  10. OldBoi

OldBoi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Freakin MGSPW! :glare: Going on 10 yrs now. :angry: :gun::yaypsp:

11. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No game
    If i hate a game i stop playing it. Games are made to entertain, they're not for torture

12. b3ats

b3ats Member
    Newcomer

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Team Fortress 2. But in all honesty, I think I hate the players more than the game itself.

14. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    That's not a game, that's an ordeal.

15. relauby

OP relauby Idiot Child
    Reporter

Canada
    Multiplayer might be great, I can definitely see the format working, but the single player just didn't click at all with me.

I was actually the same with Persona 5, but I was fed up with the story instead of the gameplay. I thought the combat was fun and that's really what kept me going.

16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Two come to mind.

The first is n't so much 'a' collectible card game. It's THE collectible card game that made ccg a thing. I'm talking about magic :the gathering.
    Oh, I've quit in the end. But I honestly don't even want to track just how much money I've spent on cardboard cards with fancy pictures on it.
    Thing is : I liked the deck building aspect. The creativity you can use. The hidden combos.
    ... That almost inevitable either do what you want after which you build something else, or someone just flat out countered it.

The other one I've played not to long after reading up on toxic gameplay design. That is : skinner boxes and the illusion of progress. And man... That game is one big red flag. And even though I knew it, I feel for it and played for hours. Assuming you can call it 'playing'.
    It's called ad-venture capitalist. The game is watching numbers go up. No, I'm not kidding. You start by picking apples to gain a bit of money, then you hire managers who do this for you. Then you hire directors who hire managers who pick apples. Then you make companies that... And so on. The game has just enough illusion of choice to make it seem like you actually earn the millions, billions, gaming's and... You get the picture. The game also continues counting when you choose the game, so even though I haven't played in years, I'm probably virtually richer than anyone else on earth combined.

17. SaulFabre

SaulFabre Wii scene/hacking & Wii VC well-known guy

Ecuador
    Super Smash Bros. Melee for GameCube

I don't like it very much (because it's too hard), but when I am bored, I can't stop playing at this just for fun :P

18. CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust E tier homebrew dev

United Kingdom
    Some people call life a game...

19. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

France
    For me : Assassin Creed Valhalla.
    For me that a good game but I so much hate it.
    First :Bug. Bugs every where. Like I was on a cliff, and all of sudden I was unable to move or open menu. I just had to alt +F4.
    Second difficulty, where it is?
    I continue to play it cause I was challenged to complete it and I kind of like the ambience, when it does not bug that a cool game.
    but damn I rage more on bug and crash than IA killing, most of my death are when I think I could land without issue but I was stupid to think it.

20. Cha0tic

Cha0tic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    got a love hate relationship with overwatch

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - playing, Whats,