What's a fair price to sell a pre-1.4 R4i-SDHC.com R4?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by YayMii, Apr 4, 2011.

1. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    So I've had a R4i-SDHC that I haven't used at all. I got it 2-3 years ago, so it doesn't support DSi version 1.4 (it doesn't update either). I have a few friends with DS lites that want it, and I want to sell it for a fair price. My dad bought it with a genuine SanDisk class 6 8GB card in Asia (people at the store lied about it working on 1.4), and he pretty much got ripped off (bought it for $60-70), so I'm probably going to lose money unless I overprice it.

So I want to know what it's capable of. Since it uses a different kernel than their 1.4-supporting card and their non-DSi card (both of which are officially updated more often than this card), I want to know what it's compatible with, so I know how much it's worth, so I don't make an unfair sale or put the price too low.

Is anyone able to help me put out a fair price? Thanks in advance.

2. drewmerc

Member drewmerc GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    the r4 is worth about $2 as you can get none updateable 1.4 r4's for $4

3. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Just about $2 I would say.
    You can get newer ones that support 1.4+ for $5 dollars.

All of them are clones, and not supported that well, except those that work with Wood [​IMG].

4. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

I would not be sold and used as a pendant

5. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    What the hell are you saying?

6. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Is this card compatible with the RetroGameFan updates?
    And what's a good price if I include the class-6 8GB card and preload it with the kernel+games?

@Sausage Head: I'm interpreting zizer's post as "I wouldn't sell it, I'd use it".
    @zizer: Why would I? I have an Acekard 2i AND a Supercard DStwo. And I'm using a 1.4.1U DSi XL, which the R4i doesn't work on.

7. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    If you are selling it to a friend, than $10 with the micro sd seems fair
    But if you want to make a little money, than throw retro's update on it, load it up with pokemon, and post it on craigslist as a ds/ds lite only cart, some noob will buy it for $40-$50 just like your dad.

8. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    You can use RGF updates which is good as the kernel for this card hasn't been updated since 24/07/10. The reality is you are selling a Genuine Class 6 8GB SD card with a r4i-sdhc not the other way round as the flashcard is basically worthless.

9. kineticUk

Member kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Seems a bit of a contradiction?

If you wanna sell it for a fair price you will get next to nothing for the card cause its worth nothing if we are honest. If you were gonna be fair to the buyer.

Then you are asking what can be loaded onto it beforehand to bump up the price? That's not really very fair either though tbh.

So.. you rip someone off (friends?), or throw in the cart for free (I don't think you would buy one would you?) and just charge them for the 8GB mSD.
    Get rid of it.

10. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    If it works with RGF, wouldn't that add value?
    And the microSD card hasn't been used, and 8GB cards where I live range from $25-45 CAD. Wouldn't $10 be too cheap?

@kineticUK: I meant "fair price" as in "a price that wouldn't be counted as ripping them off" or "a price that isn't too cheap". And I said I got ripped off on the card in the first place, so I'm losing money unless I sell the card for $80 or something. And a few of my friends who want it aren't completely experienced with these kinds of things, so they'd be willing to pay labor for me preloading the right stuff on it (they probably won't know what/who RGF is). And they're willing to pay money for it because they have no access to any other flashcarts anyways.

11. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Well, $5 is not so bad. I think it would be fair since it is a clone.

12. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Is that including the SDHC card? It wouldn't make sense to sell an unused SDHC card for 25% of the store price.

13. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    Sell the MicroSD and the flashcart for 20$ and be done with it.

14. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I'd say give it to me for free. It's really the best option there is because then I can add another couple of lame videos to go with the rest of them and help noobs that I know aren't going to watch them anyways.

15. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Do you think it would be fair to ask them to name their price, and sell it accordingly?

16. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    Not really as it can only run RGF as a Dual Boot which might be too complicated for a noob to understand and anyone else who is not a noob will find it's a ball ache and probably far easier and cheaper to get a new card with a slower SDHC card.

17. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Most of my friends have experience with technology. I was just saying that they have never owned a flashcart, so they wouldn't know how it works. A few of my friends even have multi-boots on their PCs (OSX, Windows 7, Windows XP, and various Linux distros to suit their needs) anyways, so they will at least know generally what they're doing.
    Besides, didn't I just say I was going to do it myself? [​IMG]

18. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    No you didn't.

However you asked for advice and I have given you mine. It is up to you whether you take it or not.

19. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    When I asked about RGF, you can tell that I was implying that I was going to use RGF as the kernel.