What'll happen if I did a nintendo update now...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CannonFoddr, Jun 28, 2010.

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    OK I am a TOTAL newbie to soft-modding a Wii

I had/have 4.2E & I've managed to softmod to allow me to play DVD's (although I DID have trouble trying to install IOS202 from a SDcard - had to 'download' via Nintenod USB WiFi adaptor to do it)

I've only got Homebrew Channel, WiiMC, DoomWii & everything 'seems' to be working - but when I stuck in my Mario Galaxy 2 (Shop Brought)- it stated I needed a system update before I could play it.

I was worried that IF I allowed it - all my hard work would be ruined....but I had to do it anyway & was suprized that it did some sort of update (BUT not to 4.3E) which allowed me to run the game, & the Homebrew still seems to be working (except I can't seem to 'delete' files through Homebrew Channel - it seems to 'crash')

I was wondering that IF I forget & accidentally update via Nintendo - what will happen ??

I know the Homebrew channel etc will be either 'blocked' or 'deleted' (or something will happen to it) - but would the update 'virginize' the Wii ?? or 'brick' it ???
    Would the HB channel still show up, but when you try to run it - will the system crash ???

Sorry for the questions but I have said I AM a total newbie

2. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    Answers to your question can be found here.

3. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    It would remove the HBC, DVDX, update your boot2 if it's not boot2v4, stub all of your piracy IOSes(except for 224(and others if they're version 65535) and maybe 250), block bannerbomb, and fix other exploits.

4. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    So if I understand right - it WILL 'virginize' the Wii (in some form or other)
    That's good to know if I pass the system onto anyone else

5. aml435

Member aml435 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Install priiloader and block disc & online updates. Then you don't have to worry as much about forgetting.

6. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    But if I block 'Disc updates' - surely that will prevent me from playing them - won't it ???
    (I don't play pirate Wii games)

7. lolorlofl

Newcomer lolorlofl Advanced Member

Canada
    Galaxy 2 doesn't have 4.3 on it. If you're feeling that worried about it, use Priiloader to block Disc updates.

8. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    If you're missing an IOS or an update to the IOS the game uses, then yes, but you can just run the game through Gecko OS to install that IOS while still keeping your updates blocked, or some other method like DOP-Mii/IOS.