head of T3GZdev
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i remember a while back seeing something a bout a nitnendo nework adapter. whatever became of it tho?
nintendo-announces-wifi-network-adapter-20080908003932255-000.jpg
nintendo-announces-wifi-network-adapter-20080908003926755-000.jpg

tmpphpypxuet.jpg

http://www.ign.com/a...network-adapter

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My god, did this plastic look cheap in comparison... I don't think it's the same shade either.

EDIT: Maybe it's just the photo though... but yeah - it was pretty pointless.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pointless, yes, but Nintendo has a long history of failed and cancelled products. There isn't anything new happening here. Now if you excuse me, I need to fit half of my fridge in my dish washer.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People realized just using a damn wireless router works?
but what of those that dont own a wireless router?
Then buy one?

This is the exact same issue with the Nintendo Wifi USB stick... Buy a wireless router for $40 and work with any wifi device, or buy a nintendo usb stick that works with nintendo stuff only...

Is a no brainer... just buy a wireless router. They're cheaper these days too.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then buy one?

This is the exact same issue with the Nintendo Wifi USB stick... Buy a wireless router for $40 and work with any wifi device, or buy a nintendo usb stick that works with nintendo stuff only...

Actually the USB stick were for those who didn't have wep or their router (mine's) wasn't compatible with the ds.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then buy one?

Actually the USB stick were for those who didn't have wep or their router (mine's) wasn't compatible with the ds.
All Wireless Routers that were 802.11b or better supported the Nintendo DS. Some needed tweaking more than others in advanced settings, but ultimately all those routers B, G, and N routers could support NintendoDS/Wifi...

The USB thing was just an extra thing to sell to people to provide people with a means to wifi. It wasn't meant to help people anymore than the network adapter listed above. Sales of the USB stick dropped as people favored buying wireless routers or wifi sticks at the same or cheaper price, so Nintendo dropped the product. The Nintendo USB thing only existed because thats just what a buisness does.

Edit: Oh yeah... You don't NEED WEP to play Wifi on Nintendo DS. You can play it on any open network. So the "WEP" excuse doesn't work.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then buy one?

All Wireless Routers that were 802.11b or better supported the Nintendo DS. Some needed tweaking more than others in advanced settings, but ultimately all those routers B, G, and N routers could support NintendoDS/Wifi...

The USB thing was just an extra thing to sell to people to provide people with a means to wifi. It wasn't meant to help people anymore than the network adapter listed above. Sales of the USB stick dropped as people favored buying wireless routers or wifi sticks at the same or cheaper price, so Nintendo dropped the product. The Nintendo USB thing only existed because thats just what a buisness does.

Edit: Oh yeah... You don't NEED WEP to play Wifi on Nintendo DS. You can play it on any open network. So the "WEP" excuse doesn't work.

Well my ds was rejected by my router and I wasn't able to play on wifi with my ds till I got the usb stick.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then buy one?

Since when before the 3ds? Every time I tried to connect my ds to the router, the ds rejected the router because it wasn't on the right security.
Yeah... since always... since before the USB stick even released in North America... Since the very 1st game that allowed us to go into our DS Wifi settings and change them.

The Nintendo DS would connect to and save any 802.11b network signal that had the compatible security encryption, and not just WEP, but open networks too. The Nintendo DSi and 3DS introduced more security encryption options, but every model of Nintendo DS from the 1st units, up to the last DSi units, and even the 3DS function on an unsecure wifi signal.

Now a router's settings played more parts to blocking a Nintendo DS from other than encryption keys... Ports, firewalls, and signal/channel settings also played a factor. A 802.11 g or n router have settings to only broadcast in B, G, or N mode. The Nintendo DS Wifi only connects to wireless b, but it is able to view wreless G networks SSID as incompatible networks. My memory isn't perfect as its been 6+ years since then, but the Nintendo DS' Wifi settings gave so-and-so indicators to what-what meant.

Red lock meant meant the signal was 802.11b compatible , but locked.
Blue open lock meant the signal was 802.11b compatible, but open (Does not require key).
Gray-Anything meant you could see the SSID/Network, but was not 802.11b compatible regardless of security key or not, however, the router's settings could be changed to do so, UNLESS, you happened to own a really old router where it was B or G only... Having a G-only router was the one exception here that could not be used with the NDS. But now, all there are are either B+G routers, or N+A. It should be noted that N+A's include B+G, so any 802.11 b, bg, n, or na router is compatible with Nintendo DS regardless of security keys enabled or not.

I don't know what the 3DS's limits are, or if it employs the same B-only limits to the "DS" mode part of the firmware. But basically the point stands that the USB stick really offered nothing that a cheaper B/G router could provide. Hell, in some cases, on'es router would even interfere with the USB stick, preventing the USB to allow wifi gaming through a router's ports/firewalls. I know when I was "uneducated" about all this wifi crap, I had to unplug my router, and plug my internet directly into the pc for the usb to work, because my router would keep kicking me off mario kart even through the usb.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then buy one?

Since when before the 3ds? Every time I tried to connect my ds to the router, the ds rejected the router because it wasn't on the right security.
Yeah... since always... since before the USB stick even released in North America... Since the very 1st game that allowed us to go into our DS Wifi settings and change them.

The Nintendo DS would connect to and save any 802.11b network signal that had the compatible security encryption, and not just WEP, but open networks too. The Nintendo DSi and 3DS introduced more security encryption options, but every model of Nintendo DS from the 1st units, up to the last DSi units, and even the 3DS function on an unsecure wifi signal.

Now a router's settings played more parts to blocking a Nintendo DS from other than encryption keys... Ports, firewalls, and signal/channel settings also played a factor. A 802.11 g or n router have settings to only broadcast in B, G, or N mode. The Nintendo DS Wifi only connects to wireless b, but it is able to view wreless G networks SSID as incompatible networks. My memory isn't perfect as its been 6+ years since then, but the Nintendo DS' Wifi settings gave so-and-so indicators to what-what meant.

Red lock meant meant the signal was 802.11b compatible , but locked.
Blue open lock meant the signal was 802.11b compatible, but open (Does not require key).
Gray-Anything meant you could see the SSID/Network, but was not 802.11b compatible regardless of security key or not, however, the router's settings could be changed to do so, UNLESS, you happened to own a really old router where it was B or G only... Having a G-only router was the one exception here that could not be used with the NDS. But now, all there are are either B+G routers, or N+A. It should be noted that N+A's include B+G, so any 802.11 b, bg, n, or na router is compatible with Nintendo DS regardless of security keys enabled or not.

I don't know what the 3DS's limits are, or if it employs the same B-only limits to the "DS" mode part of the firmware. But basically the point stands that the USB stick really offered nothing that a cheaper B/G router could provide. Hell, in some cases, on'es router would even interfere with the USB stick, preventing the USB to allow wifi gaming through a router's ports/firewalls. I know when I was "uneducated" about all this wifi crap, I had to unplug my router, and plug my internet directly into the pc for the usb to work, because my router would keep kicking me off mario kart even through the usb.

Thanks for the explanation. Since it was my dad who got the router (knowing him probably the cheapest he can find), it was probably only b or g.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Actually, I believe that had more to do with issues concerning the technology used in those sticks, a patent infringement or something. I saw some in a local Zellers store just yesterday, $34.99 a pop, you can buy a used wireless router for $5 at most thrift stores.

I actually bought a Chinese knock-off of the Nintendo USB stick for about $10 on eBay, works justvthe same but you can use it with any wireless device, not just DS and Wii.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually, I believe that had more to do with issues concerning the technology used in those sticks, a patent infringement or something. I saw some in a local Zellers store just yesterday, $34.99 a pop, you can buy a used wireless router for $5 at most thrift stores.

I actually bought a Chinese knock-off of the Nintendo USB stick for about $10 on eBay, works justvthe same but you can use it with any wireless device, not just DS and Wii.

i'm suprised your computer has not got SARS!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it