Not open for further replies.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
lately i started to think of a first world problem...
i have several devices that use sd cards, which bigger sizes are becoming cheaper and cheaper..
so cheaper i may as well i just throw a couple bucks and upgrade my devices with the maximum storage they allow (for example, 32gb card on my ds flashcart)

and then i realized, i own several 1-2-4-8 gb micro sd cards and when i upgrade i will have some more in that box where i keep them, which also make me realized i am also hoarding adapters for whatever reason...

of course i will keep the legacy ones MINI SD card, some NON HC cards (there could be one day one has a very old wii which i need a 2gb card to update, or a cool old nokia that accepts mini sd cards)

but starting to own more than 2 of each type just makes me think i am starting to earn some kind of compulsive hoarding disease lol..
i really hate to throw stuff away, stuff that works, that is in good condition, stuff that could have a purpose, but theese things you can get them for 1 or 2 bucks on ebay, or even cents... pratically free, selling them would be more problematic than the cents i can get from them (i am a lazy person ok?)...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just memory cards? They take up no space. If you have more than a shoe box full then you might have gone wrong somewhere.

Also you can get things for cheap "now", 10 years is a different matter. Or if you prefer see all the fun and games people had trying to find legit miniSD cards for the EZ4 before they moved on to microSD. If you do want to flog them then maybe bundle them -- people like me buy in bundles of old stuff all the time.

8 gig cards are still a useful size for a lot of things -- stick them in a phone which might lack storage and it is either a decent amount of music or enough for someone to take photos on*, and if you don't care about losing them then you can give them to people with videos on them. 4 gigs are not outside the realm of usability either.

*if you only need to take photos of serial numbers of general arrangements of things, or colours of wires then it helps. Many times I have set such things up for people working trades.

Also you can never have enough adapters, bonus is they also make nice things to solder to if SD adapters are hard to find.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Just memory cards? They take up no space. If you have more than a shoe box full then you might have gone wrong somewhere.
just memory cards, of any kind, either sd, CF, XD etc... there are loads of them...

Also you can get things for cheap "now", 10 years is a different matter. Or if you prefer see all the fun and games people had trying to find legit miniSD cards for the EZ4 before they moved on to microSD. If you do want to flog them then maybe bundle them -- people like me buy in bundles of old stuff all the time.
i was one of them, IIRC it was in 2013 or 2014, got a MINI sd card for 1 euro, my ez iv stop detecting it after the SDHC update, now i have a mini to micro sd adapter with a 2gb card

*if you only need to take photos of serial numbers of general arrangements of things, or colours of wires then it helps. Many times I have set such things up for people working trades.
this is actually a cool idea!. if you use a a dedicated device for this
i had been taking pictures of stuff like position of wires on old computer motherboards (where it's easier than trying to figure out where they belong to) with my phone..

actually this is the main reason i have too many memory cards that i can get use for. in the old days i had a mp3 player, a phone, a camera.. now i just do everything with my phone, have a big micro sd card on it, which i just use 20 percent of it anyway (rarely take pictures or videos, music via streaming cuz data subscription, only play about 3-4 games on it, gps only takes a small portion)

one idea i am thinking, is searching for some kind of adapter that lets me put several micro sd cards on it and use it as a single memory block..
kinda like thoose dual micro sd to memory stick for the PSP..
with luck i can even find such a device with card failing protection where if one of them starts to fail, i can easily swap another with no data being lost

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One day I might have to look into this music streaming lark, or not as I only tend to listen to anything in front of my computer or in range of my LAN.

Regarding failure detection then USB RAID has been done for years
http://cs.joensuu.fi/~mmeri/usbraid/
I know some have done little poor man's NAS servers with rasp pis as well so that might be an option.
All that said I imagine it is still loss/theft that is the bigger issue in all this so how useful it would be, other than being a fantastic learning opportunity, compared to a more convention backup USB and online folders somewhere.

Also while you were busy shrinking your device list I was upping mine, mainly as I do not have a phone and don't really want one. That said I still leave it all at home and don't even have a thing to tell the time with beyond the sun. Bonus for you though is while people still like big boy cameras they can't give away the little compact cameras and they take fine photos for a lot of purposes, and often have something resembling a real zoom on them. If it has a nice case with it then it should go just fine in the bag of screwdrivers.

Reactions: migles
D

Deleted User

Well, I keep them. But I only have very few memory cards. I have dedicated memory cards for each of my things. But flash drives on the other hand I have tons of. I have a metal jar full of them. They are mostly recovery disks or Distros of Linux whenever I need them.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Out of all the cards I have...
  • One 4GB mSD in my DS flashcard. (Another 4GB like that I used to use in my phone. It had 256MB RAM so I had to enable swap and that killed the card pretty much)
  • One 512MB mSD. I use it when I need to get a small boot image on it and ran out of cards.
  • One 1GB SD. Arch ISO for whenever I need to repair my installation.
  • One 4GB SD. Used to store the OS for my BPi.
  • One 32GB SD. In my 3DS.
  • One 32GB mSD. In my DAP.
I think I also have a 2GB that came with my 3DS but I can't remember where it is.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I keep my old memory cards and i like those blue SD cards.
I use a 1GB Compact Flash card (from my old digicamera) for my ZX Spectrum.
Using a DivIDE cartridge and that 1GB CF to store all the games/tools/demos ever made for the ZX Spectrum home computer.
For my Commodore Amiga 500 I use a blue 2GB SD card with one off those USB Floppy Emulators, with a 2GB I store all the games/demos for that computer.
And I use a blue 256MB SD card for my Commodore C64 with one off those SD2IEC devices, I only store the games/one file demo's/music I want to load.

For my 2 Rapberry Pi's (with Kodi) I use the best 8GB sd cards, becase those cards work best.
It's always smart to keep to those old sd card's, if you planning buying a GB everdrive, a 2GB can hold all the shit that is ever made for that handheld.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've got a small pouch which hold all me unused SD cards.
I just upgrade the devices that can't take more then 2GB to 2GB, ones that can't take XC I'll give 32 etc.

Edit:
Got SD cards of 512MB, 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32 GB and a shit load of 64GB

Last edited by DinohScene,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Let's see, I have a few unused 2GB cards from my original 3DS, my brothers old 3DS and my sisters 2DS, which I all replaced with 16GB cards (exception: My o3ds which got a 4GB). I also have 2 spare 4GB cards (one of whom is used in my o3ds) that were delivered with the n3DS.

I mostly leave the spares around and lose track of them occasionally.

I am covered in microSD card adapters though, which is annoying as fuck, since all of the microSD cards come with an adapter these days, and after you get the adapters for the o3ds and the 2ds, you only really need one after that.

tl;dr no memory card problem, but have an adapter problem.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see, I have a few unused 2GB cards from my original 3DS, my brothers old 3DS and my sisters 2DS, which I all replaced with 16GB cards (exception: My o3ds which got a 4GB). I also have 2 spare 4GB cards (one of whom is used in my o3ds) that were delivered with the n3DS)

I mostly leave the spares around and lose track of them occasionally.

I am covered in microSD card adapters though, which is annoying as fuck, since all of the microSD cards come with an adapter these days, and after you get the adapters for the o3ds and the 2ds, you only really need one after that.

tl;dr no memory card problem, but have an adapter problem.
Same here, except my adapters include USB cords, micro to USB cords, USB to Micro Cords, etc. I have a whole container full of cords and adapters...

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Same here, except my adapters include USB cords, micro to USB cords, USB to Micro Cords, etc. I have a whole container full of cords and adapters...
Ugh... me too! It's so annoying. Yes, there is supposed to be a universal port/cable (microusb to usb), but even the microUSB ports aren't always the same and have different plugability into certain devices. I have two boxes full of just cables, chargers, chargable batteries, chargers for battery chargers, earplugs and other tech junk I won't ever need, but can't throw away, because one product I own might just use it.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Ugh... me too! It's so annoying. Yes, there is supposed to be a universal port/cable (microusb to usb), but even the microUSB ports aren't always the same and have different plugability into certain devices. I have two boxes full of just cables, chargers, chargable batteries, chargers for battery chargers, earplugs and other tech junk I won't ever need, but can't throw away, because one product I own might just use it.
I actually enjoy collecting them cables/adapters.

D

Deleted User

i keep them. i have a 32MB and a 128MB SD card, 128MB one is in my wii, loader and small homebrew only

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually enjoy collecting them cables/adapters.
Same here. Plus, I no longer need to buy cables when I need them. Even though they get tangled often....

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Non-HC cards (and even 4, 8 GB HC) have started to climb again (if you can find them). I know this the hard way having ordered an original R4 last month...

...and to be honest I don't even have that many of them. A 2GB that has been going since 2008 firmly in my old Wii, a 2GB in my Windows CE 5 tablet, the mentioned 2GB for 8 € in my DS (with flashme, ez-v 3in1, replaced shell, ... :D ) and that's it, the other two ones I had burned out long ago

I do have plenty of low performance 4GB HC leftovers that were the factory original joke storage on many things from N3DS to ebook readers though!

also: about 3 summers ago, a large supermarket chain in my area was clearing out half and quarter-GB cards... at about 8 € each, I doubt they sold more than 5 out of the whole bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr