What would you want to see in the eSports scene?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Black-Ice, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Black-Ice
    OP

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    [​IMG]
    Could the new Smash Bros hit big in the rising eSports scene?
    With eSports on the rise thanks to boom of games like DOTA, Starcraft and League of Legends, its almost inevitable that companies are going to begin investing in the new age revolution of sports entertainment.
    Gaming tournaments and professional gaming itself as a career is slowly becoming more respected and desired.
    Blizzard's new MOBA: Heroes of the storm, their very own "Smash bros" is a prime example of the expanding market.
    Even the mafia of the gaming world EA are looking to start cashing in on the eSports scene.

So my question is: What games would you all like to see go huge in the rising eSports scene, if any games at all?

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  2. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I want to see professional Animal Crossing players get payed for their mad fishing skills.

Psionic Roshambo and EZ-Megaman like this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    A name change.

tatripp likes this.
  4. tatripp

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Yeah. I don't think calling it eSports is accurate. Sure they give a lot of dedication and work hard to improve, but it isn't really a sport. ESports sound like Madden or something.

5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    How isn't it a sport?
    keeping in mind chess is considered a sport as well.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Proper tournament organisation, people that understand competition design/game theory, proper betting options, though probably falling under the previous things some proper codification (see things like aluminium bats in baseball) and summary execution of several people already involved in current versions of them (I find many of the fighting game tournament people truly deplorable).

7. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Not Super Smash Bros.

Really nothing actually, "esports" are kinda just cancer by another name.

Gahars likes this.
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    *Competitive Smash Bros.* OHOHOHO! :rofl2:

Seriously though, I don't see any need for changes. If people find eSports entertaining as they are, there's nothing wrong in that. I personally don't, but each to their own.

9. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    lol, eSports.

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    For me, I'd like an "easy to learn, hard to master" game that's enjoyable to watch.

The first one is mainly because if esports wants to grow, they sooner or later have to draw in people who don't play the game themselves. Heck...non-gamers, even. If it's not watchable and directly understandable who's winning and who isn't, something is wrong.
    The second part is a bit harder to explain. Watching someone play is a different experience than actually playing the game, so the fun is different. Add into that that it's a multiplayer game where different players duke it out. That makes it harder to keep an overview of how the general match is going. For this, most gametypes are immediately dropped (I have no doubt FPS'es are incredibly fun to play and hard as hell...but watching them is a chore).

Personally, I prefer RTS'es. There's something simple about "the first team to lose their base loses". And with a spectator seeing both sides and some good commentators, it's easy to follow the match even if you haven't played the game yourself (I got my girlfriend watching starcraft 2 with me at some point).

And for the love of god: no fighting games. Yes, I KNOW. It's ABSOFRICKIN' INSANE in kind of tactics, quick button presses and reacting to what your opponents do. Congratulations to you, but...it doesn't show. I mean...look at this. I really don't want to bash these players or the ones liking it...but it's not for me. It really isn't. All I see is some characters spasming back- and forward...and an audience that goes wild over it for some reason. :unsure:
    (honestly...I feel like uploading a youtube-video: me and my little brother - both equally unskilled in street fighter <insert number> - just button mashing away and not hitting each other...and an audience that goes wild when at the final seconds one of us DOES hit the other. I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and what these world class players pull off)

For the record...you DO know that blizzard and EA can't be pretty much further apart in terms of game development, right? Blizzard tweaks and supports their games sometimes years after release. On EA's end, they...don't. For this reason, I think a random indie developer has a better shot at creating a game that'll dominate esports one day.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  11. Dork

Dork Newbie

I only give a shit about Melee, SoulCalibur, Counter-Strike, and Team Fortress 2 competitive scenes. MOBAs are shit.

12. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Some fun would be nice, I guess.

Depravo and Tom Bombadildo like this.
  13. Black-Ice
    OP

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Never said they were close/similar
    I simply listed 2 companies looking to capitalize on eSports

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  14. tatripp

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I was going to use chess as an example of another game that isn't a sport. hahaha
    I guess it depends on the definition of "sport."
    I think i would consider cheerleading a sport before LoL or starcraft.

15. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I would like to see multiple event's set up like the Olympics.

Could be a Fighting gold, silver, lead medal. One for RTS, one for Platforming, one for Sports games ect.

Also would like to see some sort of Triathlon event, sort of like the Nintendo World Championship final even where the cart had more than one game and you had to be awesome at all of them to win.

Would be fun to have a complete set up like this encompassing a lot of different genre's of games with it being international too. Different countries might send teams and it just sounds like it would be a fantastic fun time.

The down side is testing for "performance enhancing drugs" would Red Bull count?

Edit: Also some funny physical events could be thrown in for kicks. I vote for the Atari 5200 Hammer Toss.

16. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Competitive Rock Paper Scissors. :angry:

Black-Ice likes this.
  17. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Competitive gaming is fun to play and watch and eSports is a terrible term.

SSBM is already "eSports", Team Liquid picked up Ken and KDJ and Team Curse picked up Chillin and HBox this month.