Hacking What would you say is the best external hard drive for Wii?

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would you say is the best external hard drive for Wii? I carry my Wii in a bag to places soo yeah :3. I want to buy one now to use with a USB loader. :3!

coma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrainerAbu said:
What would you say is the best external hard drive for Wii? I carry my Wii in a bag to places soo yeah :3. I want to buy one now to use with a USB loader. :3!
any one that works!!!

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what size, warranty and reliability you want. Personally I went for a 500 gb seagate since it was cheap and on sale also because seagate hard drives are or was one of the best.

120 GB Heard bad things about WD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136606
250 GB Seagate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148407

I suppose you couldn't buy a cheap hard drive usb enclosure for 2.5 or 3.5 drives and use one of your own hard drives or better yet but both. The good thing about that is you can easily upgrade it by removing it.

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stick with Western Digital drives. Out of all my externals (I've got about 20, random brands,) they run quieter and cooler than any other. Plus they come with an out-of-the-box 1 year warranty. All my Seagate drives take forever to spin-up, and are a headache to properly disable spin-down/sleep issues.

FWIW, I've got a WDBAAU0020HBK and couldn't be happier.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
coma said:
TrainerAbu said:
any one that works!!!
If you want to be 75% happy w/ your purchase, do as directed above. Want a little bit more success, follow my tips.

I'd go either WD or Samsung. Every Seagate I've used has been a noisy POS. Due to your need for portability, I'd look into 2.5" externals. Make sure the drive you buy has AAM support, so you can silence it further from stock, if needed (but hopefully not.)
If I were buying a new drive, first thing I'd check is noisE! find reviews on seek noise and idle noise. Much easier to find reviews of noise for 3.5" internal drives, but maybe if you search on externals or look at buyer reviews. look at reviews of enclosures!! it is possible to take a perfectly quiet HD that performs great laying on an insulated table or book for example, put it in an enclosure and all of a sudden you hear it from across the room.
Speed is NOT an issue. Even slow 5900RPM "GreeN" drives are going to saturate the USB 2.0 interface, thus I'd probably go 5900 RPM or lower, due to the fact they will run quieter and cooler.

Repeat:::: A 7200 rpm or 10,000 rpm or what have you, will be wasted money. That extra 1100 odd rpm will be money wasted in exchange for increased noise and heat. You just traded your rickity clicking Dvd drive for a rickity clicking hard drive.
yay.gif
epic win. I know this because I did it.

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Craazy. Anyone have any other suggestions besides WDBAAU0020HBK?

Anyone know the cheapest place to get these things :3? I usually use newegg but I miss sales sometimes but ya :3

yurmy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rasas said:

Is what I have above, I also bought mine from newegg. working on sysmenu 4.1U. I can't say it's bad or good just yet. I have had a issue either with it or snes9x emulator. "Something" corrupted every file on my HDD. Oddly last thing that happened was snes "auto" saved, reloaded its dir and errored saying it couldn't find any files. Yea that's because you hosed em all! Anyways, the 250 seagate is ify IMO because I'm not 100% sure what caused the corruption. Last thing to note either it does or CFG does. Sometimes all the png's won't load for the covers. No biggy, reload CFG and they're back. Otherwise I'd agree, use whatever works w/out much hassle. Size,cost,brand are really up to you and compatibility.

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bump :3 I heard WDBAAU0020HBK review things on newegg saying it's slow and bright and stufff or something and yosh but I dunno :3 yosh :3 it still sounds good to me :3

and does anyone know of the best wii remote charging station too 8)? :3

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have used both a 500GB and a 1TB version of the Western Digital MyBook Essentials line and they're perfect. They wake back up if the Wii has been paused for a long time and the game will start up with no issues, they're cheap, reliable. They do need a power supply, as they're not powered off the USB plug, but that's probably why it works so well.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Newegg has a 120gb portable for $25 with code 24HRSALE1013B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136606

Staples has a Iomega 3.5 1tb drive for $59.99 right now as well as a western digital 750gb portable for $59.99 or a seagate 1tb portable for $99

Check out staples.com for the ad and don't forget its possible to use coupons such as $20 off $50 purchase or $25 off $75 purchase or even competitor coupons so you can bring your total down even more.I do it all the time with staples and get drives really cheap.

Check out ebay or ejunkie.com for the coupons.Any questions just ask.

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well thanks I ordered one but now I wanna know the best wii remote charging station brand or whatever that exists :3

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most if not all of them are crap your better off buying rechargeable batteries from radio shack or another store. Online they might be cheaper but buying used rechargeable batteries is the worst idea. They last longer and they can be cheaper then buying a charging station for 4 wii motes.

http://radioshack.lenmar.com/RS/ProductSum...eable%20Battery

Edit: Also some rechargeable batteries that come with charging stations make it difficult if not impossible to reach the sync button to re sync wii motes forcing you to use AA batteries. This approach removes that problem but before you say they are already synced people have problems when they stop sync and they have to reset it. So why take the chance.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I have good experience with Verbatim and Medion 2,5" drives. I prefer 2,5" because they are powered by the Wii's USB port. No need to turn it on and off manually.

skaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a WD MyBook 500G that died. Would powercycle off and on then eventually gave the click of death.

Bought a Seagate Freeagent Go 500G to use as a replacement. Works great. Small form factor (2.5") and works off USB power only.

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well does anyone know any really good wii remote charging stations or is that one guy right in that they all aren't worth it at all :X? =3

Phyreguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any suggestions for hard drive for wii, I set mine up with a 1tb wd(wdbaau0010hbk-01) formatted NTSC with no issues. Homebrewed brother's wii but none of my portable hdds work, they run but no games being recognized. I see people are suggesting Fat 32 but mine seems to work fine formatted NTSC. The WD has a separate 12v power supply and maybe the wii needs this. I've tried the wye cable with the 5v separate power supply on the 2.5 portable drives but that just shunts down the wii.

Any suggestions for portable drives now that its 2020
Thanks in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night