Gaming What would you have loved to see in the 3D All-stars Collection?

notmipha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
It's been a year and I can't stop thinking about it. Specially for Sunshine, poor guy was never given a chance. Personally I would've liked:

- Extreme bug patch
- Less slippery and more precise controls
- Added long jump and dive
- Reworked game levels. Instead of booting you out to Plaza Delfino when you get a star, the stage updates when you stray from each place (like in Bowser's Fury)
- Maybe add more stars that aren't collecting red coins or another recycled objective
- Being able to change Fludd's nozzles with the d pad after unlocking them
- Also this may be nitpicking but I found the game's menu very boring. The soundtrack playlists were nice but considering other Nintendo collections, maybe not enough. I would've loved to see some original art or unseen footage/storyboards for the game.

What would you have liked?

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it is, a collection of largely unchanged games, I don't know how much of that would be feasible or even necessary, to be honest, but there are definitely some more minor tweaks I would have enjoyed that wouldn't be entirely unfeasible.
- The addition of widescreen to Mario 64 would have been great, Sunshine got it, but 64 didn't, which was odd.
- I'd have really appreciated the presence of the backwards long jump bug, which would have severely increased its replay value for me. I do enjoy casual 16-star playthroughs, and being able to do that on Switch would have been nice.
- Some sort of blue coin tracking tool for Sunshine should have absolutely been included. As it is, the blue coins are a mechanic which is not very well rounded at all.
- Definitely in agreement on your point about behind-the-scenes features. These are pretty common in modern rerelease collections, and it makes 3D All-Stars feel barebones in comparison. Would have been really fun to have a bit more love and care packed into the collection.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the game 1st come out and I seen the name 3d All-Stars I was thinking it was the normal Super Mairo all-stars but remade in 3d and even though I found out real fast that was not the case I got it anyway since I really do like the games on it but it did feel like a let down since I did get my hopes up for a All-Stars 3d remake.

Galaxy 2
64 DS
Nintendo not doing a shitty market stunt and the game wasn't pulled from all shelves, including the eShop.
In the USA in stores like target and Walmart you can walk in the store and buy it so its on shelves for people to buy were I am at because they have a really big over stock of them and because of that they are selling them even today. Its not on the eShop 100%.

Last edited by leerpsp,

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always thought it would've been cool to see them create a bonus level for all three Mario games by the original developers or maybe even updating Super Mario 64 DS as an unlockable bonus that can be played with a controller.

Reactions: notmipha

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, I understand they released each game close to the original experience, but yeah, it needed more:

-Galaxy 2
-Mario 64 optional widescreen / HD
-Art gallery
-A video, like the one in "Zelda Collector´s Edition" for Gamecube
-A little better music gallery, it feels rushed and without soul
-64 DS
-Finally, some card or collectible in the case. Even a simple sheet with a image or something. But naw...

The 3 are great games, and I´m happy to play them on the Switch, but yes, it feels very weak and hollow the way they did it. Even my 11 year old son told me, that they spilled the milk not putting anything more than the pure games (and he loves those 3 games, too)

Reactions: notmipha and Wavy

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a year and I can't stop thinking about it. Specially for Sunshine, poor guy was never given a chance. Personally I would've liked:

- Extreme bug patch
- Less slippery and more precise controls
- Added long jump and dive
- Reworked game levels. Instead of booting you out to Plaza Delfino when you get a star, the stage updates when you stray from each place (like in Bowser's Fury)
- Maybe add more stars that aren't collecting red coins or another recycled objective
- Being able to change Fludd's nozzles with the d pad after unlocking them
- Also this may be nitpicking but I found the game's menu very boring. The soundtrack playlists were nice but considering other Nintendo collections, maybe not enough. I would've loved to see some original art or unseen footage/storyboards for the game.

What would you have liked?
My dream is to make us collecting the star bits by using right analog stick instead of touch. the same as Nvidia shield tv version. Please make it happen.

Bagel Le Stinky

the bagel bad smell
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Super Mario Galaxy 2, super Mario 3d land, super Mario 3d world, super Mario odyssey, super Mario 3d maker, surprise sequels to sunshine and odyssey

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't want them to change too much because it would change how the games play and they wouldn't be authentic to the original anymore. But I would've really liked some graphical improvements. I keep referring back to Wind Waker HD, that game had some nice graphical improvements, and that's what I'd like to see from all of Nintendo's ports, general shader improvements and maybe some higher resolution textures. In the case of Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy the textures already look good in HD, so only shader improvements would be needed to give it a modern look. 64 could've benefited from higher resolution re-created textures. Like what we've been seeing modders do with the PC port. The models could've also used an overhaul, increasing the polygon count. For most of the enemies and characters they could've used models from newer games, and increase the polygon count of everything else to match.

There's not too much else I'd like them to change, just some quality of life improvements. Leave the bugs in for speedrunners and the like. Changing nozzles with the D-pad would've been nice indeed. More shines/stars would be nice. Add in the extra stars from Super Mario 64 DS (why haven't they done this, gah. Super Mario 64 DS is absolutely the worst way to play the game due to the lack of an analog stick yet it's the most fully featured one, it makes no sense why they haven't brought the extra features into a modern port)
The controls and mechanics should largely stay the same to not affect how the games play.
A hard mode could've been nice. Replace enemies with harder ones/give bosses more health/maybe make the AI somewhat smarter?
Widescreen is a given, porting a game to a modern platform and not adding widescreen support instead leaving it pillarboxed is just unacceptable. It'd be fine for virtual console, not for a full-price port/re-release.

Honestly, given all its flaws, I probably wouldn't even have bought SM3DAS, but because it was only on sale for a limited time, I felt I had to since it's a piece of history, and might end up appreciating in value quite a bit.
I feel like making it limited time allowed them to be lazier with porting, since people rushed to buy it without really thinking about whether it's worth the purchase or not, or they felt they had to buy it while they still had the chance like me.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want them to change too much because it would change how the games play and they wouldn't be authentic to the original anymore.
More shines/stars would be nice. Add in the extra stars from Super Mario 64 DS

A hard mode could've been nice. Replace enemies with harder ones/give bosses more health/maybe make the AI somewhat smarter?
Wait I'm confused

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wait I'm confused
SM64DS mode could be an optional toggle and hard mode would obviously be an optional toggle. If you wanted the base experience you could still get it. Adding more shines/stars doesn't necessarily change how the games play though as you don't have to do the extra ones. But SM64DS' use of multiple playable characters certainly would so it would be best as an optional toggle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Tiger crust is great.