What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Jan 27, 2007.

Jan 27, 2007

What would you do? by jumpman17 at 3:24 AM (1,101 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Alright, so here's the story:

I'm currently in my second semester of my sophomore year of college. I attend an extension of the main college because it's a half hour drive instead of a 3 hour drive so I can commute for class and live at home. But they only offer a 2-year degree at the extension so I was planning to move up to the main campus this year for my 3rd and 4th year.

Now here's the problem. This whole time I've been told that I'm enrolled at the main campus but now that I try to transfer...they say I'm only a "statewide" student. I have to enroll at the main campus and I can't do that until I have my 2-year degree. And I will be 1 class short.

Here's my problem I'm contemplating:

A) I have a meeting setup with a bigwig from the main campus in 2 weeks to talk about my problem and see what can be arranged. But there is no guarantee that something can be arranged so I may be stuck here for a 3rd year for 1 class but I have to have 12 hours of classes so I'd have to take either some math that would count towards my 3rd year and some other bull-crap classes that count for nothing and just cost me $600 a class.

or

B) I enroll in an astronomy class now (3 weeks late for the class) and play frantic catch up to get my 2-year degree. But this would put me up to 23 hours of classes each week plus homework time. I would have to quit my job (which I'm only doing 15 hours a week at) to be able to catch up 3 weeks of classes that I missed.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

2. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Kinda depends on your personal situation, I think. Do you highly value education to the point that you can work your tail off that hard? Can you afford to still support yourself after dropping the job? I can't answer those questions, self-contemplation is the way to go. What I would do, however, is get in contact with that Astronomy teacher. Get to know him/her, what their personality is like, their coursework etc. As dumb as this sounds, this may give you a more detailed outlook at what you have to deal with in the future if you do decide to play catch-up. [​IMG]

3. Foie

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    I would go for the 2-year degree. It will be a challenge, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I wouldn't waste money on pointless classes.

However, I'm still in High School, so I don't have very much experience when it comes to college. So don't take my advice as if I know everything.

EDIT:

I agree with the above poster. It all depends on your situation. In the big picture though, B seems like a better choice to me.

4. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Well, I enrolled in the class and just got back from talking to my boss. I told him I needed the next 2 weeks off and told him my situation (only 4 days that I'm working in that period) and he said that wasn't acceptable.

He said it was my responsibility to be here for my shifts and gave me a book with all the employee phone numbers. Said he didn't have time to make the schedules in the first place let alone remake them. I made a couple calls to some people but no one was home.

He tried to bully me into working anyway saying how Staples pays me check each week so I can go to college in the first place. I told him it's gonna cost me a hella lot more if i don't take this class because I'll have to take an extra year of college and pay for 24 credit hours when i only need 3.

I told him that I can work again after I catch up and that I'm free all summer for whenever he needs me. He replied with "Until you change your schedule." He stuck by his answer of "that's unacceptable" so I said, "This is something I have to do. If you change your mind, you have my number" and walked out the door.

I honestly think he'll be calling me because otherwise he's left with the 2 slackers that don't do anything and I'm the one that has to work like a mad man to get everything done. But if he doesn't call me back, I don't really care. It's his loss and he knows it. I'll just jump over to OfficeMax for a summer job.

5. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    excellent.... join the rival company!! He'll be begging you to come back once he sees that you've been doing the work.
    Good luck

6. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Yeah, I'd jump over to OfficeMax too. Retail managers almost always react the way he did. Pressure the employee not to make waves is the status quo in retail. Basically, when you've been there long enough to be valuable, you've also been there long enough to be a threat to them. That's one reason, I think, that retail has such a high turnaround in employees. Managers love to clean house, and keep a stock of eager "anything you say sir" new employees. So for the same reason your current manager won't think twice about letting you go, the OffMax manager will be ready to snap you up.

7. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Guess who just got a call from his boss [​IMG]

8. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hey man, fuck that. It's called a Loan. everyone between 18-25 has them here in boston where i go to school. You quit your job, you grab a student loan, you work your fuckan ass off to get a 3.0 or above, and then when you make a good position after college you thank the democrats for lowering the interest rates on student loans almost in half by 2010. and there you go. Also, it would be smart to grab a job while your on the main campus. I know that the government offers university based jobs that only students who are o n financial aid like you are able to get. they are based around your class schedual to minimize conflicts between work and school.

also, try to quit your staples job on as good terms as possible, because in the college business world reccomendations are a student's best friend.

good luck my fellow student

9. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Do a Barrel Roll!

10. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    tell him that the "other" company pays u several $ more.. and lets you work hours that fit your schedule [​IMG]