(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
For the most part, you are all highly unimaginative
Problem is, there isn't much one can do if they were a mod/admin, other than adding new rules/changing existing rules, enforcing rules and trolling the forum.

Actually, if I put it like that, there isn't much reason for me to be a mod/admin. Maybe the trolling, but that can get a large backlash if one isn't careful. The rest of it just sounds like a lot of volunteer work, with very little reward.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I was an admin, I would tell everyone to be nice to noobs.

Seriously, I don't know if any other forms are the same but the 3DS forms are just cruel when a different noob ask the same question another noob just asked a week or two ago.

I feel sorry for new users who do this...

Reactions: Subtle Demise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Turn this website into a Commodore Amiga fansite.

Join the master race or GTFO n00bs
But then we would all be off playing cannon fodder and lemmings and Simulcra and James Pond rather than being on the forum. At least the 3ds having no games keeps the numbers up as there is nothing to do once you have hacked it.

♬War *pew*
War, never been so much fun♬

Edit.Also worth linking as it is now my new posting theme for when diving into the 3ds section.

Edit 2. Might as well have an acid techno mix as well

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
64>Amiga

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oops I lied, I thought the 64 came after the Amiga. The c64 sound chip is unbeatable though
The Atari POKEY chip is underrated.

If I was an admin, I would tell everyone to be nice to noobs.

Seriously, I don't know if any other forms are the same but the 3DS forms are just cruel when a different noob ask the same question another noob just asked a week or two ago.

I feel sorry for new users who do this...
That's a know phenomenon with sites filled with 12 years old kiddies.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Feeling it!

Pure Logical Feels.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am probably with Veho. I have played and continue to play server botherer for various things and the effort required to run a site this large would be very annoying. Equally not that I have ever wanted to but it would be something to consider should I decide to take my ball and go somewhere else.

I already ran the "does grammar and spelling correction work?" experiment. At one time me and a few others corrected the spelling and grammar of every post in the USN, unless we got there after someone with atrocious language use had been called out on it. Some on other sites reckoned it improved things. I liked it but it was not a massive improvement or anything.

Further to that experiment.
Remove post counts and join dates from immediate view. Click on profiles if you want to see that sort of thing. I don't know what it would do and I got some hostility when I floated it before but I want to try anyway.

Remove all trophies, medals, pips and the like. Mainly as I dislike such things at the concept level.

Implement a shadowban system. Some hate them, I like them.

Remove the ignore feature, or at the very least make it more hidden posts than missing. That is how I roll.

Maybe bump the attachment limit to 3 megs and possibly jig the image thing to scale better. Mainly as I am lazy bastard and don't want to either change my camera resolution down or continue to have to resize them before uploading, and the thing consistently takes 2.4 meg images otherwise. Granted I should just be less lazy still and use the filetrip account I already have to do it, I think it is more that I miss the old gallery plugin.

Have a little hardware fiddling session/run for a while on the portal. I mean I can do that already as I can post on the portal, have the tools, the time and theoretically at least the talent to do it all here already but hey.
Maybe have a science news/curious/discussion section as well. We kind of used to have it informally in the USN and it was fun but it tapered off for the most part.

I would probably resist it in the end but I would have to consider kicking ask and blogs in the head. The shitbox however would be gone in favour of some kind of IRC window.

Rename EOF back to testing area. Nuke the lot (might save funny pictures, strong womyn and pink joystick, or at least remake them and maybe immortalise them) and saturate it at first with the sorts of things I want to see (so probably lots of wordplay based humour). Maybe some iron fisted curating of it for a while. See what goes from there.

Anyway

- revamp the news section to feature homebrew/hacking news and homebrew/hacking news only
Once we saw news move from scene/releases to include homebrew (some point early in the DS lifetime *salutes @Squiffy*) we did have that as a focus. However there were loads of new things every day, rehosting, taking pictures, trying out for 5 minutes and such could easily kill a morning if you were flying solo. The rise of IOS (and now android which has taken over there) killed that stone dead very quickly. Today I am not seeing it for 3ds or wii u and frankly I don't expect to -- I have far better portable devices for writing my own code and having little guys with interesting ideas write code for it and considerably better things to stick under my TV, which itself probably takes a PC input by default anyway -- the scart input emulation and media player machine of the xbox at the price you could get one for was a genuine draw.
We could post every time a cfw farts and fixes a typo but that gets boring very fast, even flash cart updates (5 active carts, 10 games a week, a few semi active carts on top of that... very boring). If you then cut it back to updates of some note it is not going to happen.

- reviews are okay but I think reviews should focus less on games and more on homebrew, flashcarts, hardware, and the like
Originally they did, however there is not half the amount of flash carts and homebrew coming out that there once was, and most of what does happen would just be "why this when rxtools exists?" which is not an invalid point these days.

Short version is the site would have trouble sustaining itself without such things/solely with such things. If you have another way than gaming site which does not care if you say you know your way around an emulator and a usenet client then we are all ears.

- let news be removed from view on the "customize temp' section
Personally I only visit the front page if I have written something for it and http://gbatemp.net/new/ is my gbatemp link of choice, however I guess if you wanted it then it could be done.

- elect more mods who would do a better job at modding than most of the mods here
But the 3ds and wii u sections are scary, and the consoles have no games so it is really hard to work up the desire to keep up to date there. Also it rarely spills out into the useful parts of the forum. Alternatively if you are channelling funnystory then don't, I quite like the rough and ready workshop/down the pub model rather than place where every sensitive soul word removed to avoid triggering the non religious would never get their feelings hurt model.
I guess some more iron fisted and tactical/preemptive showings of the door could stand to happen though, I mean occasionally people come good after a little spell and said door showing is not a tiring activity so playing it less "strict" is not necessarily a bad thing.

- change limits in signature/avatar to be more reasonable
Is it unreasonable now then? You can make an almost pure noise image of the max dimensions and probably be under the limit (actually I just tried and it is a bit over for a few rounds of pure hsv noise for both png and 95% JPG, apologies to random noise fans I guess). 3 meg gifs and 1080p photos are fine when it is you and 400 of your closest guild members on a forum but this is an international forum where bandwidth limits are still in place and people regularly use lower powered devices.

- make the dark theme less crappy so I could stand to use it
Less crappy is not a useful description. "Make the alternating post box colours a different shade, perhaps #686868 and #989898 (note I don't actually suggest those, they were just random selections a bit apart in the colour shades chart)" is. Suggestions like that are plenty welcome.

"people over 21"
How American. Also I am baffled as to why people would want such things here. It is not like things are hard to find elsewhere on the internet and it is not like the userbase would do an amazing job that you also can't get elsewhere -- ROM hacking some modern Nintendo system, plenty of people do well there on other consoles so it would probably cross over, less sure how that applies to things implied or suggested by that, sure we can all right click and save as but there are a billion image boards already. Granted it was probably a silly suggestion but hey.
I agree with you entirely.

Don't you think that @Margen67 must be on another account lowkey watching us I bet he is.
what do you think?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But then we would all be off playing cannon fodder and lemmings and Simulcra and James Pond rather than being on the forum. At least the 3ds having no games keeps the numbers up as there is nothing to do once you have hacked it
Damn str8

I was thinking just yesterday that I need to play some Cannon Fodder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.