Homebrew Question What would be the ideal coding language to make homebrew apps when the Switch gets hacked?

MemeMachine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen a few people say the Switch's OS is similar to the 3ds, so C++ would work.
On the other hand people say you could just sideload Android OS and just run anything.
Thoughts?

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would pick C, and maybe C++ it depend of the libraries and the compiler the one who hack it make
But C is your safest bet
Then C++ could have some success but you will have less chance to use it in the begining, it will come but you will have support for C first
Anyway C can run on virtually anything using binary and if it don't you can just create a compiler for the new platform

Last edited by Alkéryn,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would pick C, and maybe C++ it depend of the libraries and the compiler the one who hack it make
But C is your safest bet
Then C++ could have some success but you will have less chance to use it in the begining, it will come but you will have support for C first
Anyway C can run on virtually anything using binary and if it don't you can just create a compiler for the new platform
This makes me wonder if it's possible to program in Assembler for it... the games would be supertiny but superhard to program.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes me wonder if it's possible to program in Assembler for it... the games would be supertiny but superhard to program.
Coming from a guy who has coded in assembly, Why would you want to?

I've seen a few people say the Switch's OS is similar to the 3ds, so C++ would work.
On the other hand people say you could just sideload Android OS and just run anything.
Thoughts?
Why would you want android os? chances are it would break compatibility with switch games.

I'd still say to stick with C++, but for those who like it, I think Unity has support, but that has too much overhead for me.

Reactions: Alkéryn

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Only answer I can think off... Because you can?
Well good luck with spending weeks to make something you could have done in hours xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well then i will make a brainfuck compiler for the switch and force you to use it for all your homebrews xD
actually it would be as practical as assembly xD

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well good luck with spending weeks to make something you could have done in hours xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well then i will make a brainfuck compiler for the switch and force you to use it for all your homebrews xD
actually it would be as practical as assembly xD
You could start by posting messages here using hexadecimals for the ASCII code instead of actual letters.
You know, if you want to be masochistic then do it all the way.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: jsa and lAkdaOpeKA

CrimsonMaple

Developer • She/Her
Trophies
Website
crimson.ninja
XP
Country
United States
C, C++, and Arm ASM if you want to get a bit more down to the metal. Usually on any console assume C and ASM as a safe bet for code execution like homebrew and sploits. This is due to the light weightness of C. While ASM can be easily run and is very light weight, but is a pain to code.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Plus number two you have to do it without a keyboard but with an arduino HID where you have to type the ASCII value for each character
do you accept the challenge ? xD
Dude I can hardly do C++. I think I have a better chance at winning a nobel prize xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night