Hacking What will the next DS revision be like?

ahzael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess the only thing that the DS lite is really in need is more POWWA, the ARM7 and 9 are a way to old and slow, since the Hand held market is going so damn well, i think that improving the overall power would be the best way.
But since the DS now has no competitors (lame sony MIB at my door knocking) , i don't think we'll see anything anytime soon, maybe in a couple of years.

5kuzgib

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dunno about an analog stick TBH, it wouldn't work with a clamshell design (that is of course if the succesor uses the clamshell design) unless it was really small and crappy like the PSP's.

Fazered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Most of the suggestions are out of the question for a DS revision and only the realm of a DS2. For the revision you can't go to small as touch screen usability will drop. You have to be able to hold it somehow! So they would be mainly adding features. The things I foresee are the obvious:

Better battery, more power/quicker charge
Even slicker looking design (customisation?)
Stronger design
Better stylus
Better screens (same resolution of course)
Improved touch sensitivity (maybe not as it could affect gameplay)
No GBA slot
Built in rumble
Built in memory extension
Built in motion sensor (Available as a GBA cart of the Phat and Lite)

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe they will make a DS lite that does note break or fall apart from regular use
tongue.gif

scrawl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Upgrade the wireless protocol to allow:

- speeds greater than 2mbit
- WPA security or whatever is current at the time
- G/I/N or whatever is current at the time

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe they will make a DS lite that does note break or fall apart from regular use
tongue.gif
I suppose they might revise the kind of spring or the kind of plastic to fix the hinge problem, but I don't think they'll revise the whole DS until it's successor comes out.

Multitouch sounds really cool; surely if the DS could do it already someone would've used it? (even if it's just homebrew enthusiasts?)

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think multitouch is a hardware thing, not a software thing.

Multitouch would be awesome.

Something else, turn the whole bottom half into a touchscreen. Turn the whole Top half into a widescreen. What does that mean? Multitouch with the whole bottom as a touchscreen means that games can have as many buttons that they need. And possibly have options through firmware that can make the buttons appear closer to the middle for us with long fingers who h8 the DSL.

Speakers on the bottom that can be loud enough so it sounds good at high volume. Integrated rumble... Eh. They should make stainless steel, or titanium shells so its impossible to FK it up. The only thing i'm against a control stick is because its flat. I like on home consoles they can make the control stick stick out so turning the control stick is like a curve. THAT'S more ergonomic. And let's please stick with cartridges! Loading screens piss me off. Faster media, faster wireless, better range, and a stylus that is soft like a memory foam mattress. That would ROCK! At that point the console will need to have like 500MHz CPU and 256MB RAM, and some kick ass video card. So for all that to work, wait like 3 years. But prices prolly won't go down that much unless they make silicon-germanium ICs so it'd prolly be 125% the price of the Wii.

Keep a DS Slot, keep a GBA Slot, but make it work with GB and GBC and one wierd hybrid battery.

Almost sounds unreal with all this state-of-the-art tech.

*END RANT*

omegatr0n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whoa...for the powers above that may read this....PLeaes dont make the NDLS any smaller, I can barely hold it now.

Also i would love to see better battery life on the brighter settings...
Furthermore I would wait untill a few more reviews on the slot 1 mods for nds before you start asking for no GBA cart slot LOL

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
What will the next DS revision be like?, DS Phat -> DS Lite -> ????
DS Phat -> DS Lite -> DS Wristwatch
laugh.gif
Gamerz... 007 style

tutukun: you have to by a piece of hardware... only if you dont have a wireless access point (AP) and want to play online.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually shocked that the second revision of the Dual Screen lacked GB/GBC support, and didn't come in see-through colors. It was also sooner than I expected.

QUOTE said:
Why would they do that if they know people will just buy the next one?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The revision (if they make one) would be smaller, without the GBA port, but with all the GBA port expansions built in: rumble pack, 32 MB additional RAM, tilt sensor...

But the next generation portable console should be cool indeed.

The next generation DS (or Gameboy) will have 8 GB of built-in flash memory. Games will be coded to the MAC address, so that they can be played only on your DS, and can't be copied. You will go to the store, pay for the game, plug the new DS into the game dispenser, and presto: new game. The true download play. This would remove the need for cartriges, thus greatly reducing game prices (for the developers; for us common folk, the prices will just drop slightly). This would also allow games to have more game save slots, (or, you would finally be able to have more than three custom maps in Advance Wars DS). Also, the device could be much thinner without the cartrige port. The GBA port will be abandoned.

Also, a tilt sensor, built-in rumble pack, Bluetooth, and a host of Bluetooth peripherals including, but not limited to, a Web camera, handsfree headset, GPS, external flash drive, etc. etc., sold separately for tons of $$$.

Both screens will be larger, of course, with better resolution.
There is also a possibility that the D-pad and other keys will be replaced entirely with parts of the touch screen (multitouch option, of course), making it look like something out of Star Trek.

...aaaand since I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

There. My suggestions. Discuss.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
The next generation DS (or Gameboy) will have 8 GB of built-in flash memory. Games will be coded to the MAC address, so that they can be played only on your DS, and can't be copied. You will go to the store, pay for the game, plug the new DS into the game dispenser, and presto: new game. The true download play.Â
That's an interesting idea, kind of boxes out of the same field as mobile gaming. There's just one catch; if your DS breaks and cannot be repaired you'd lose your whole software library as well. Ouch.

You're right though, games probably will move in the direction of being supplied as downloads rather than carts or cds. They've just got to iron out the copy-protection side of it, kind of like what Microsoft's DRM did for wma's which lets be honest is a rubbish solution that needs more work. I'd be willing to bet several R&D departments are probably working on something like that right now...

I know the point is to never run out of space but 8GB sounds a bit over the top. 8GB of Flash-memory would be very expensive (if they even make flash drives that big yet); maybe they could produce DS-2 units with different sized storage drives at different prices, kind of like the current generation of MP3 players. (although this would complicate things for non-technical parents buying toys for their kids) The alternative would be removeable media cards (think digital cameras), although that comes back to how much confidence they have in their copy-protection software.

Interesting...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: