What Wii Clip do I need for a launch Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Foxle, Jul 8, 2008.

Jul 8, 2008
  1. Foxle
    OP

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm about to make a purchase at my friendly neighborhood spi- err, Deal Extreme, and am interested in getting a mod chip for my Wii. I've heard/seen that the Wii Clip makes it pretty easy to do, but almost everyone talks about it on the more recent Wiis so I'm at a bit of a loss at how I would implement a Wii Clip on my launch Wii. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, even a link to a knowledgeable site would be helpful. I'm pretty much going to just buy now and sort things out during the two week ship date.

So, are either of these clips any good? Do I need anything else to go with them, etc?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12714

Thanks for all the help!

2. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    why not buy a wiiclip with the modchip already on there, a launch wii should be able to use any modchip that is on a wiiclip, i beleave the wiiclip your buying doesnt have a modchip on it,one with a modchip should be about $50 i think, you would have to open your wii to find the IC chip ID(i think thats what it is) like if its a D2C or the other one i cnat remember, theres a chart that you use can use your serial to tell what chip you have, sorry i cnat relly help more, not got a modded wii

3. apcarr

Member apcarr GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You need to decide which chip your going to use,most chips support most drives nowadays (not all though ie WiiKey only supports drives upto D2B) then you can choose the correct WiiClip for the chip you require,take a look at the WiiClip site here http://www.wii-clip.com/

4. Foxle
    OP

United States
    Judging from the link on the site, it seems that the clip itself is programmed with Yaosm on it or something. Anyone here have experience with this particular product?

5. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    You absolutely can NOT use any d2c chip on a launch (DMS) wii! Only the latest 9-wire ones... and even then it is expensive, and a fair bit of screwing around.

Get either a Wiikey, or free-clip.

Free clip is not pre-programmed with YAOSM - but the idea is that you program it with YAOSM. I've not played with it myself, but it looks like a very good option.

Wiikey is pretty easy to install, really... if you don't have soldering skills maybe it's worth paying a pro to chip it with a wiikey - probably won't cost you much for such an easy job.

6. Foxle
    OP

United States

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that the Free-Clip will indeed work without anything extra (given you can get the instructions on there). While I generally would go with the proven option of the Wii-Key, I'm just throwing this Free-Clip into an order I've already got going on DealExtreme.