GBAtemp Exclusive What were your favorite games from this past decade?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    For NEW games, I really enjoyed the Splatoon games.

For reboots and remasters, I really loved DOOM 2016 and Resident Evil 2. Bioshock remastered was great too!

For ROM hack games, I've been loving Pokemon Crystal Clear, Pokemon Prism, Pokemon Blaze Black 2, Metroid II: Return of Samus DX, Super Mario Land 2 DX, and Pokemon Red (in full color with Gen 2 sprites), and the most recent one, *NEW* Super Mario Land

usernamecharlie likes this.
  2. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
  3. ita54

ita54 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Bloodborne, Dark souls 1-3, Sekiro, Assassins creed Origins, Odessey, God of War ps4, Horizon zero Dawn, and Street Fighter 2, Final Fight in Arcade 1990-2 best time :)

4. NoNAND

NoNAND Spirit of the steppe

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    Scythia
    Hmm this is interesting.
    For me, that'll be:

Persona 4
    Persona 3
    Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga
    Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 2
    Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
    Pokémon Platinum
    Pokémon HeartGold
    Mega Man 9
    Mega Man 10
    The Legend of Zelda The Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks
    The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    And many more..

5. KlariNoX

KlariNoX Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2019
    Greece
    Not in any order

Uncharted 4
    Grand theft auto V
    God of War 2018
    The last of us
    Cuphead
    Super Mario Odyssey
    God of War 3
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Celeste
    Luigi's mansion 2
    Luigi's mansion 3
    Super Mario 3D land

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Catherine really stood out that much? A friend had it and I toyed with it briefly but it otherwise failed to make much of an impression with me.

As for FTL while it was and remains fantastic, even more so with various mods, I can't help but feel some of the games it spawned later did things better.

As for Resonance of Fate I am probably going to have to crowbar open the wallet later next month for the PS4 physical version (Asia only but should be region free and feature English)... exchange rates and as if December was not already killer enough on the wallet. https://www.play-asia.com/end-of-eternity-4khd-edition-multi-language/13/70d47t?tagid=578221

7. relauby

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    relauby is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    I love Catherine (it was my choice for 2011 too) but I can see it not appealing to people. It’s a great puzzle game and a great visual novel, and it blends those elements together well, but the difficulty curve is punishingly and stupidly steep, and since it is all about gender and sexual politics, which tend to be polarizing even when done well (and Catherine stumbles with it a bit), the story might turn people away too.

Xzi likes this.
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    That might have been it then. While I don't mind a good puzzle game (most reviews of the time and my time with it said basically qbert which is probably one of my least favourite "classic arcade puzzle" efforts) then visual novels have rarely done much for me, and if they go full bore into their own little subculture then I get even more turned off. Story wise then give me a good one and the perks and piss offs of being a given gender trying to navigate the world and doing the whole relationship bit have proven fertile ground for... millennia really but at the same time games usually fumble it and harlequin romances/boddice ripper novels are things that I only acknowledge to skip on past when I am looking at boxes/shelves of second hand books.
    If I see a copy going cheap I might give it a spin. Should I aim for a copy of Full Body edition or will the base game suffice here?

Xzi likes this.
  9. relauby

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    relauby is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    I’d say go for Full Body, even if it’s just for the fact that it lets you totally skip the puzzle sections if they’re really not doing anything for you. It also adds in a third love interest and expands on the existing ones with some flashbacks and new endings. It’s already 50% off on the PSN Black Friday sale so I’m thinking in a year or so it shouldn’t be too much more expensive than the base version.

10. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    2010: SMG2
    2011: Mario Kart 7
    2012: NSMB2
    2013: GTA V
    2014: Mario Kart 8
    2015: Agar.io
    2016: Pokémon Go
    2017: Pokémon UM
    2018: SSBU
    2019: Still have to decide :D

DANTENDO likes this.
  11. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Right here on good ol' planet Earth!
    Huh, I'm not entirely sure what my faves of each year are. Probably something like:
    2010 - Rock Band 3 (d'uh!)
    2011 - Portal 2
    2012 - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
    2013 - Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    2014 - The Room
    2015 - LEGO Dimensions
    2016 - Kirby Planet Robobot
    2017 - Miitopia
    2018 - Luigi's Mansion for 3DS
    2019 - I have yet to have one!

DANTENDO likes this.
  12. Kingy_

Kingy_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    2010: Fallout New Vegas
    2011: Portal 2
    2012: Far Cry 3
    2013: Tomb Raider
    2014: Mario Kart 8
    2015: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Best online multiplayer game imo.)
    2016: DOOM 2016
    2017: Cuphead
    2018: Red Dead Redemption 2
    2019: Tom Clancy's The Division 2
    2020: Cyberpunk 2077 EZ

Xzi and DANTENDO like this.
  13. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!

I would not put this into the same category as a visual novel or dating sim (while there may be games in those genres that are similar). The story is unique, and just when you think you know where it's going, it takes a dive into the absurd. It never takes itself too seriously, but does deal with some topics that people may find serious/relatable. I think the reason I ended up liking it so much is that I was so sure that I WOULDN'T like it based on all the promo materials and footage I'd seen.

The thing that puts it over the top is that the story doesn't bog down the gameplay and vice-versa. They work in tandem in a way that I've never seen in another game (take Uncharted for example, you can either watch a mediocre movie or play a mediocre action game, but why in god's name do they force you to do both?), with excellent sound and art direction by the Persona team. The Persona games are great, but Catherine plays like an easily digestible short story rather than something that consumes your life.

On top of all that, the gameplay (which is really as easy or hard as you want it to be - I suck at puzzle games but never found it too difficult or frustrating), which includes a competitive mode, caught traction with the fighting game community and tournaments are regularly held at the largest events of the year (Evo, Combo Breaker, etc.).

edit - and yes, the games that followed FTL are doing even more for the subgenre, but FTL was the first that I felt did it without faltering. It was the entire package, and its influences inform it rather than direct it.

Last edited by DS1, Nov 30, 2019 at 4:18 PM
  14. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    1. Hollow knight
    2. Deep Rock Galactic
    3. BotW and Odyssey
    4. Beat Saber
    5. Portal 2

And I am pretty sure that this won't be changing for a few years.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Nov 30, 2019 at 4:53 PM
  15. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    2010 - Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
    2011 - Dissidia 012
    2012 - Hotline Miami
    2013 - Shin Megami Tensei IV
    2014 - Destiny (PS4)
    2015 - Axiom Verge
    2016 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
    2017 - Persona 5
    2018 - Dragon Quest XI
    2019 - Division 2

Last edited by BORTZ, Nov 30, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    DANTENDO likes this.
  16. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    Oh come the fuck on, i know that gbatemp is the place for negativity but this is fucking ridiculous
    Why do you think New Horizons will instantly suck?

Last edited by 64bitmodels, Nov 30, 2019 at 6:51 PM
  17. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Plastic-looking trees and everything are known to be there (as of the last previews, and likely to stay) so....

18. 64bitmodels

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    The fuck would you perfer, hyper realistic PC graphics on an underpowered system? Like dude these were the established graphics for Animal Crossing ever since City Folk. If the only bad thing you can mention is plastic trees than you really aren't making a point

19. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    "hyper realistic" hell no - but they're a different style than the previous ones: and my commercially binding opinion* is that it sucks :)

* otherwise said, "voting with your wallet"

20. 64bitmodels

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    United States
    Okay then. Still just because the graphics aren't what you like doesn't nessesarily mean the game itself is bad.
    I thought you'd have more problems with the game besides the weird graphics (yea i don't like them that much either, I hated that weird rolling hill style in wild world)

Last edited by 64bitmodels, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:12 PM