What were the names of those two strategy games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Fel, Apr 22, 2011.

Apr 22, 2011
  1. Fel
    OP

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I'd like to find out what were the two games for the PC about which I'd read reviews long time ago.

The first one is a fantasy strategy game which came out between 1999-2000 (it's possible it was 1998 as well) where you choose to play as a certain race - I'm pretty sure you had centaurs, then some kind of elves or fairies and maybe even wizads. There were many races to choose from, at least 7. It felt similar in gameplay to HOMAM or Age of Wonders and visually looked similar to AoW, though I think it had on the right-hand side a menu bar or something.

The second one is a modern strategy from around 1999-2003 (similar to Europa Universalis), where you chose a nation and tried to conquer the world. You had an overview of the whole world with nice modern-feel and menus, you controlled various aspects like religion, politics, army and these had loads of options. And it was set in the 20th century. It's Superpower, thanks Foxi4!

Do these games ring a bell to anyone? [​IMG]

EDIT: I've realized I should have perhaps put this in the PC section rather than the general consoles, feel free to move it. [​IMG] +changed the dates for the first game.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The second is probably one of the Total War series games or Civilization... or Superpower, or C&C Generals... There's a zillion games like this, I can't really pin-point unless you explain in detail how what looked like. The first one... hmm... I'll risk Warlors Battlecry I to III?

3. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Wow, you guessed the second one right, it's Superpower! Thanks! Though it does a pretty bad review on Gamespot, do you know by any chance a game which is similar but actually works and isn't as ridiculous (according to the review)?

Hmm, Warlords Battlecry II looks very similar, I recall one screenshot with green plain which felt really colourful and bright (not dull or desolate), but the things on it were more zoomed out than they are in WBII. It also doesn't have centaurs as a playable races although it's possible that I've just mis-remembered minotaurs, as the game does have some unusual races to pick from like the one in the review did. But overall I just feel it was a different game. //I've just remembered that either in that one or in another magazine I've read interview about FF VIII, where FF IX and X were mentioned, so it was probably released in 1999 or 2000.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  5. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    The game didn't have have that kind of menu window around it, and it looks different - you didn't have such huge long building there, just small ones like in Age of Empires, Age of Wonders, Majesty and so on.