Gaming What we know about Netflix Wii

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
1. It requires an update from 4.2 (maybe sees missing/mismatched IOS?)

2. It does not install a channel for use on the Wii.

3. Scrubbed it takes up around 110MB

4. It DOES work just fine with CFG USB Loader.

5. It DOES require a paid netflix account (1 disc out plus streaming plan at the very least)

6. You need to request the disc in order to receive it.

7. Netflix has to have sent you the disc for you to enable it through the web portal. So just downloading the disc image, having a Netflix account, isn't enough.

How it works: (Thanks Arm73)

First , you run the software on your Wii.
Then it connect itself to the Netfix servers and gives you a code, telling you to go to netflix.com/wii , and insert that code on your PC.
Follow the instructions, and then netflix will activate your 'instant streaming device' as they call it, which is the Wii.
You are all set to go ! Since yoy already have an account it logs in into that and shows you your queue, personal favorites etc. ... It even keeps track of your viewing history so you can resume something that you were watching on your PC !

More facts to come as they roll in. Feel free to post/discuss/submit facts.

MacGnG

Trophies
Website
www.MacGnG.com
XP
Country
United States
you do have to request it! they wont just send you the disc
smile.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It works like this:

First , you run the software on your Wii.
Then it connect itself to the Netfix servers and gives you a code, telling you to go to netflix.com/wii , and insert that code on your PC.
Follow the instructions, and then netflix will activate your 'instant streaming device' as they call it, which is the Wii.
You are all set to go ! Since yoy already have an account it logs in into that and shows you your queue, personal favorites etc. ... It even keeps track of your viewing history so you can resume something that you were watching on your PC !
Nise and smooth interface, (it reminds me of the configurable usb loader! ), and fast and smooth performance.
I'm impressed.

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my disk in the mail today!
smile.gif

Playback is very nice. Not HD but i don't care about that.

It didn't ask me for an update but I do have updates blocked in preloader. The Disk ran perfectly.

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
pm_41 said:
How does it save the cache from the video? Surely the Wii's NAND is too small for that...

I assume there is no actual cache saved. Everything buffered is most likely saved temporarily on the RAM. Everything "saved" is saved server side. (Last play position, last video played, etc...)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ether2802 said:
better than to watch videos from youtube on your Wii...??

Infinitely better..........................

and

To all of you with doubts about the quality of the stream :

Using my Nintendo USB Wi-Fi connector, it takes just a few seconds more to launch a video compared to the PC, I would say it takes about 15-20 seconds.
All of this talk about HD vs 480p etc....it's just bullshit, and I repeat it, just bullshit made from fanboys.
In fact, I use to watch NFLIX on my HDTV already because my PC is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable, at 1080p.
Now I'm streaming the content from the Wii at 480p on the same TV ( and same content ) and you know what ? IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME!!
That's right.
The truth is, most of NFLIX content is SD anyway, then it gets upscaled by other systems that supports 1080p to that resolution, but the definition is exactly the same.
There is a neglectable amount of HD content of NFLIX anyway, therefore so far I didn't see any difference in performance.
All this talking down the Wii because of 480p and blah blah.......

So why watch NF on the Wii to begin with ? It's easy.....I sit on the couch and do all the navigation with the Wii remote instead of having to stand up and go to the PC......little gain, no loss of quality !

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm73 said:
ether2802 said:

and

Using my Nintendo USB Wi-Fi connector, it takes just a few seconds more to launch a video compared to the PC, I would say it takes about 15-20 seconds.
All of this talk about HD vs 480p etc....it's just bullshit, and I repeat it, just bullshit made from fanboys.
In fact, I use to watch NFLIX on my HDTV already because my PC is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable, at 1080p.
Now I'm streaming the content from the Wii at 480p on the same TV ( and same content ) and you know what ? IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME!!
That's right.
The truth is, most of NFLIX content is SD anyway, then it gets upscaled by other systems that supports 1080p to that resolution, but the definition is exactly the same.
There is a neglectable amount of HD content of NFLIX anyway, therefore so far I didn't see any difference in performance.

So why watch NF on the Wii to begin with ? It's easy.....I sit on the couch and do all the navigation with the Wii remote instead of having to stand up and go to the PC......little gain, no loss of quality !

Your fanboy tears, they are delicious. Fact is, the same content when it is available in HD, looks better in HD. I have netflix on the ps3 and 360. Works fine on both in HD and looks great. The only reason to use this on the Wii is if you are too poor to afford a real console. Which is basically 99.9% of GBATemp.

saison

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to share a Netflix acc? Cuz my friend uses Netflix on his Xbox, and I was planning on using it on my Wii :l

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
quepaso said:
Arm73 said:
ether2802 said:

and

That's right.

Your fanboy tears, they are delicious. Fact is, the same content when it is available in HD, looks better in HD. I have netflix on the ps3 and 360. Works fine on both in HD and looks great. The only reason to use this on the Wii is if you are too poor to afford a real console. Which is basically 99.9% of GBATemp.

Considering Netflix's streaming content consists of less than 10% HD, I will just throw your comment in the troll bin.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dudeonline said:
quepaso said:
Arm73 said:
ether2802 said:

and

That's right.

Considering Netflix's streaming content consists of less than 10% HD, I will just throw your comment in the troll bin.

Besides, this troll can't even read......................I wrote clearly that I also stream the content from my PC ( which by the way , being worth $2000 and being my hi end gaming PC is way more expensive then 4 PS3 and Xbox360 put together ) so I know what I'm talking about.
You on the other hand should get off your horse because you didn't try the Wii version of Netflix therefore YOU don't know what you are talking about.
I don't have to explain it to you,being a Netflix supscriber, I'm just enjoying my free Wii version of the service.
By the way, I don't want a PS3 or an Xbox360, not even for free, period.
I'm a grown up working man, and between my hi end PC, Wii and DS I cover all my gaming needs. If I only had more free time, I might pick up a 360 for a couple of exclusives that I keep an eye on, but really most of the games I can play on my PC with better graphic and faster loading times, AND cheaper......so much for your argument...
Goodbye.

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Oh and as far as I remember you can only view your "instant queue" on the 360 and the PS3. You cant add movies to your queue, or browse categories, or stream movies in those categories, so 1-up for the Wii version right there.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dudeonline said:
Oh and as far as I remember you can only view your "instant queue" on the 360 and the PS3. You cant add movies to your queue, or browse categories, or stream movies in those categories, so 1-up for the Wii version right there.

And what about the fact that you can do the navigation with the Wii Remote.......which is like a ...remote controller you know
wink.gif
Clearly the streamlined , easy to operate Wii version beats the shit out of everything else.

M

myspacee

i'm PAL user (italian)

run iso from usb loader gx
wii return a code and a www link to insert this code
connect to given address without luck (can't put code anywhere)

think i must register first, but to complete registratio
i need to give netflix full info (zip code, city, address)
but is impossible for me cause try to connect from
outside USA.

Anyone can confirm that service is avaible only from USA ?

Thank you

m.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not noted in this thread (from what I can see) Netflix has to have sent you the disc for you to enable it through the web portal. So just downloading the disc image, having a Netflix account, isn't enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night