What we know about Netflix Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by TwinRetro, Mar 26, 2010.

Mar 26, 2010
  1. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    1. It requires an update from 4.2 (maybe sees missing/mismatched IOS?)

2. It does not install a channel for use on the Wii.

3. Scrubbed it takes up around 110MB

4. It DOES work just fine with CFG USB Loader.

5. It DOES require a paid netflix account (1 disc out plus streaming plan at the very least)

6. You need to request the disc in order to receive it.

7. Netflix has to have sent you the disc for you to enable it through the web portal. So just downloading the disc image, having a Netflix account, isn't enough.

How it works: (Thanks Arm73)

First , you run the software on your Wii.
    Then it connect itself to the Netfix servers and gives you a code, telling you to go to netflix.com/wii , and insert that code on your PC.
    Follow the instructions, and then netflix will activate your 'instant streaming device' as they call it, which is the Wii.
    You are all set to go ! Since yoy already have an account it logs in into that and shows you your queue, personal favorites etc. ... It even keeps track of your viewing history so you can resume something that you were watching on your PC !

More facts to come as they roll in. Feel free to post/discuss/submit facts.

2. MacGnG

Member MacGnG GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you do have to request it! they wont just send you the disc [​IMG]

3. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    It works like this:

First , you run the software on your Wii.
    Then it connect itself to the Netfix servers and gives you a code, telling you to go to netflix.com/wii , and insert that code on your PC.
    Follow the instructions, and then netflix will activate your 'instant streaming device' as they call it, which is the Wii.
    You are all set to go ! Since yoy already have an account it logs in into that and shows you your queue, personal favorites etc. ... It even keeps track of your viewing history so you can resume something that you were watching on your PC !
    Nise and smooth interface, (it reminds me of the configurable usb loader! ), and fast and smooth performance.
    I'm impressed.

4. Lothlorian

Member Lothlorian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got my disk in the mail today! [​IMG]

Playback is very nice. Not HD but i don't care about that.

It didn't ask me for an update but I do have updates blocked in preloader. The Disk ran perfectly.

5. TwinRetro
    OP

United States
    I have it installed on CFG USB Loader and its awesome.

6. pm_41

Member pm_41 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How does it save the cache from the video? Surely the Wii's NAND is too small for that...

7. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

RAM, I assume.

8. TwinRetro
    OP

United States
    I assume there is no actual cache saved. Everything buffered is most likely saved temporarily on the RAM. Everything "saved" is saved server side. (Last play position, last video played, etc...)

9. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    better than to watch videos from youtube on your Wii...??

10. Arm73

Italy
    Infinitely better..........................

and

To all of you with doubts about the quality of the stream :

Using my Nintendo USB Wi-Fi connector, it takes just a few seconds more to launch a video compared to the PC, I would say it takes about 15-20 seconds.
    All of this talk about HD vs 480p etc....it's just bullshit, and I repeat it, just bullshit made from fanboys.
    In fact, I use to watch NFLIX on my HDTV already because my PC is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable, at 1080p.
    Now I'm streaming the content from the Wii at 480p on the same TV ( and same content ) and you know what ? IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME!!
    That's right.
    The truth is, most of NFLIX content is SD anyway, then it gets upscaled by other systems that supports 1080p to that resolution, but the definition is exactly the same.
    There is a neglectable amount of HD content of NFLIX anyway, therefore so far I didn't see any difference in performance.
    All this talking down the Wii because of 480p and blah blah.......

So why watch NF on the Wii to begin with ? It's easy.....I sit on the couch and do all the navigation with the Wii remote instead of having to stand up and go to the PC......little gain, no loss of quality !

11. quepaso

Member quepaso GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Your fanboy tears, they are delicious. Fact is, the same content when it is available in HD, looks better in HD. I have netflix on the ps3 and 360. Works fine on both in HD and looks great. The only reason to use this on the Wii is if you are too poor to afford a real console. Which is basically 99.9% of GBATemp.

12. saison

Member saison GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is it possible to share a Netflix acc? Cuz my friend uses Netflix on his Xbox, and I was planning on using it on my Wii :l

13. MacGnG

United States
    who cares if the picture is good or just pretty good! its frikin cool! thats the point [​IMG]

14. TwinRetro
    OP

United States
    Considering Netflix's streaming content consists of less than 10% HD, I will just throw your comment in the troll bin.

15. Arm73

Italy
    Besides, this troll can't even read......................I wrote clearly that I also stream the content from my PC ( which by the way , being worth $2000 and being my hi end gaming PC is way more expensive then 4 PS3 and Xbox360 put together ) so I know what I'm talking about.
    You on the other hand should get off your horse because you didn't try the Wii version of Netflix therefore YOU don't know what you are talking about.
    I don't have to explain it to you,being a Netflix supscriber, I'm just enjoying my free Wii version of the service.
    By the way, I don't want a PS3 or an Xbox360, not even for free, period.
    I'm a grown up working man, and between my hi end PC, Wii and DS I cover all my gaming needs. If I only had more free time, I might pick up a 360 for a couple of exclusives that I keep an eye on, but really most of the games I can play on my PC with better graphic and faster loading times, AND cheaper......so much for your argument...
    Goodbye.

16. TwinRetro
    OP

United States
    Oh and as far as I remember you can only view your "instant queue" on the 360 and the PS3. You cant add movies to your queue, or browse categories, or stream movies in those categories, so 1-up for the Wii version right there.

17. Arm73

Italy

And what about the fact that you can do the navigation with the Wii Remote.......which is like a ...remote controller you know [​IMG].
    Clearly the streamlined , easy to operate Wii version beats the shit out of everything else.

18. myspacee

myspacee Newbie

i'm PAL user (italian)

run iso from usb loader gx
    wii return a code and a www link to insert this code
    connect to given address without luck (can't put code anywhere)

think i must register first, but to complete registratio
    i need to give netflix full info (zip code, city, address)
    but is impossible for me cause try to connect from
    outside USA.

Anyone can confirm that service is avaible only from USA ?

Thank you

m.

19. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Not noted in this thread (from what I can see) Netflix has to have sent you the disc for you to enable it through the web portal. So just downloading the disc image, having a Netflix account, isn't enough.

20. MacGnG

United States
    yes this is for USA only and you MUST be a netflix customer and the disk must have already been sent out to you.