What was your first brick?

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been soft-modding consoles since all the way back in the NDS days starting with FLASHME and I've never ever bricked a console to this very day.

Thats because when I am following tutorials, I read it once, and then I read it again, and then I read it a third time and if I cant remember all the steps without looking at the tutorial, I will read it a fourth time.

It's worked pretty good for me so far!
No matter how many times you read something or do something, things can go wrong at no fault of the user. A tool can error out, something can lock up, or an sd card could die while something is flashing. A good example is when the guide for otp was just starting out there was a script. It had an error in it that caused a few bricks, it was caught and fixed fairly fast, but some users still bricked. That was no fault of theirs.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricked a PSP when the first exploits where so unstable, that when executing the image on the Photo folder of the memory stick gave a RED screen, you psp was not able to be downgraded to 1.5 and it would brick it permanently.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I tried to fix it in recovery mode but it just wouldn't work so I gave up, wasn't a terrible loss
EDIT:actually the tablet did not have a recovery feature from what I remember
Usb flash? Some cheaper androids have nothing protecting the internal filesystem and a usb cable, a computer, and one of many apps could allow you to flash the tablet just by plugging it in and replacing the old room with a new one.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never say never but I never brick my smartphone, consoles, and portable video game systems at all as long as I can remember. I followed the tutorial very carefully.

Reactions: CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends if you can get into recovery and what option said recovery has. Some stock ones just have options for wiping data.
If a bootloop was caused by a non root app, that can often be enough.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah it can be a pain. Sadly mine was a permabrick x.x
Ive never Bricked with a jailbreak. All i had to do was uninstall a few tweeks.

Reactions: Seriel

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fucked something up on my old nexus 7, sent it to factory to see if warranty would cover it. They sent back another nexus 7 and said it wasn't covered. When I turned it on, it was on a bootloop so I tried flashing a stock rom back onto it, and turns out, the issue was the memory itself.

pbanj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a bootloop was caused by a non root app, that can often be enough.
Oh I know but a lot of the cheap andriods don't have that. I have seem them that just have reboot. One of the downsides to android is the fragmentation. There is not standards set. Each oem and carrier do whatever the hell they want. Google needs to put its foot down and set a standard set of things and specs that each device needs for it to run android. They kind of have one but its only if the oem wants googles services which a lot of cheap devices lack. Even then the standards are mostly app related like having googles apps be on the home screen.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I know but a lot of the cheap andriods don't have that. I have seem them that just have reboot. One of the downsides to android is the fragmentation. There is not standards set. Each oem and carrier do whatever the hell they want. Google needs to put its foot down and set a standard set of things and specs that each device needs for it to run android. They kind of have one but its only if the oem wants googles services which a lot of cheap devices lack. Even then the standards are mostly app related like having googles apps be on the home screen.
But then the $30 android becomes a $60 android. If you don't want to put in the money, you won't get quality out.

pbanj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But then the $30 android becomes a $60 android. If you don't want to put in the money, you won't get quality out.
Oh I know its why I tell people to stay away from cheap android devices. It's one of the things windows phones have over android, the cheap phones still run great because ms set requirements on them.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of Android, my second brick was a rubbbish £20 Alcatel phone.
I flashed the ROM for the wrong model lol. I probably could have fixed it but it really sucked so I tried to refund it (by feigning innocence, im so naughty :3) and it worked! I then paid a bit more money plus the refund for an £80 Huawei Y5 on half price! :D

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I've bricked was my old smartphone. I attempted to change the boot animation and it didn't like that. Thankfully I always have custom recovery and frequent nand backups

Reactions: Seriel

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i think it was a nokia N-gage i installed the symbian skull virus, but i think i managed to fix it anyway so i don't know if it really counts but it was a pain to get rid of

actually come to think of it it wasn't actually me who installed the virus, it was my brother....so the first thing after that would probably be a PS3 with the first wanikoko CFW that ended up bricking a bunch of people....the joy of rushing blindly into stuff :P

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Insidious611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My fiancee's old iPod Touch 2G is the only thing I've ever bricked. The tools for jailbreaking that are soooo out of date and hard to find good copies of, and her power button was broken so I had to use a special "flash into download mode" ROM instead of the usual button trick, which I think may have been part of it.

Oh, if dropping a screwdriver into the PSU of my XBOX which I was softmodding with the HDD-swap method counts, then yeah, that too. :P

Last edited by Insidious611,

Insidious611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter how many times you read something or do something, things can go wrong at no fault of the user. A tool can error out, something can lock up, or an sd card could die while something is flashing. A good example is when the guide for otp was just starting out there was a script. It had an error in it that caused a few bricks, it was caught and fixed fairly fast, but some users still bricked. That was no fault of theirs.

Just wanted to quote this for truth, because earlier I *almost* bricked my 2DS doing the A9LH tutorial because it froze while restoring the emuNAND backup to the sysNAND at the very end of the tutorial. No fault of mine, just a fluke. Thankfully it froze at 0% so I don't think it had actually written anything. I shut it down (after waiting for about an hour to see if it would do anything), started it back up into Decrypt9 and ran the same restore again and it worked.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bricked a PSP when the first exploits where so unstable, that when executing the image on the Photo folder of the memory stick gave a RED screen, you psp was not able to be downgraded to 1.5 and it would brick it permanently.

Oh man, I never knew that old TIFF exploit could do that. I used it on my launch-model PSP thinking it was 100% safe.

Reactions: pbanj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu