What was your 3DS game of the year?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by emigre, Dec 24, 2012.

Dec 24, 2012
  1. emigre
    OP

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    2012 has been a pretty good for the 3DS with some rather exciting games for the system. There have been actually good games released for the system which allowed for a change in attitude from "EVERYTHING IS IN 3D," whilst playing crap games to "this game is actually pretty fun."

Now before everyone posts Kid Icarus Uprising and wanks over it, let us remember the notable titles that got released this year, Virtues's Last Reward, Crashmo, Mutant Mudds, RE: Revelations, the Miracle Mask, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, MGS3, Tales of the Abyss, NSMB2, Cave Story (again), Rayman Origins and Paper Mario. Hopefully we'll get some diversity in the answers now

For me, the standout game was VLR. It was without doubt the standout game on the 3DS. I've played KI, MGS3, Mutand Mudds, Tales of the Abyss and Revelations but VLR was a phenomenal gaming experience. The twenty-five hours I spent on it were an absolute blast. The story was fantastic and the characters were memorable. And it is very rare when I can say that about a game. The only complaints I had with game were with the bugs with game such as the game just crashing on me and the lack of the english dub in the E version

xwatchmanx, porkiewpyne and gamefan5 like this.

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Kid Icarus: Uprising hands down.

MGS3D is my runner up since it was my first play-through of MGS3. Crouch-walking through Dremuchij with the slider up to max 3D and headphones plugged in hearing the birds chirp was the most immersive experience I've had in in any game.

But reading all the praise for VLR, I really should buy it. I pretty much forgot most of the story in 999 so I probably should replay that first.

3. ComeTurismO

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    The only 3DS game I played right now was Sticker Star, tomorrow is Christmas, so i'll be getting 7 3DS games from my brother-in-law. He traded his 3DS in because he got a headache, so he said he might give them to me. I would rate them, but for now, i'll say Paper Mario Sticker Star. If I like any of those games, i'll probably change my opinion, but I find Paper Mario Sticker Star, a master piece.

4. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Netherlands
    kh ddd

Evilman and Jiehfeng like this.
  5. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    2 games for me.
    Virtue's Last Reward and Kid Icarus Uprising. Hands down.

6. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    I'm not sure really. Either KI:U or VLR, both are awesome games.

7. gamer765

Member gamer765 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I thought the OP specifically asked people not to spam Kid Icarus votes and to remember other noteworthy games released this year. Seems people cant really read...

8. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Three people said Kid Icarus. Those same three people also noted some other games. I don't see the problem, especially considering Kid Icarus is actually a great game.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  9. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Resident Evil Revelations. I normally cant stand the spin-off res evil titles (Hell, most new res evil games have been pretty shit) But revelations was just a great 3DS experience. The graphics surprised me, the online mode was great, the story was alright (as are all the stories as of late) and I had a blast using Gyro controls on the system.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  10. fafaffy

Member fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Zero Escape: Virtues last reward. It's by far the most clever game of the year.

11. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Oh man, so many great games. My 3DS really earned its money these last twelve months. I don't think it'd quite be right to honour just one, so here in these spoiler marks you can find my top five of the year. Enjoy!

Warning: Spoilers inside!

And there you have it, my top five of the year. And for the record, the reason why games like Virtue's Last Reward and your other faves aren't on this list is A) Because I'm poor, and B)....well, I don't need a B, because the A was so great. Although honourable mention goes to Rayman Origins, Zen Pinball 3D, Colours 3D and Pullblox as close contenders for this list.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  12. TyBlood13

Member TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

United States
    my top 3 are:
    3. Paper Mario SS
    2. Kid Icarus Uprising
    1. NSMB 2, easily the hardest Mario game in the past few years (if you want everything, of course!)

13. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    KH 3D
    Pretty much that's the only game I bought for the 3DS in 2012 lol

riyaz likes this.
  14. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    Zero escape: virtue's last reward.

The game was way better than i thought it would be and was much better than 999 and kept me interested throughout with no dips in the story or the puzzles, outstanding game that deserves to be 3DS game of the year in my opinion.

15. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Kid Icarus!!!! It's unmatchable, nothing comes close to it.

Runner Up - Resident Evils Revelation - good gameplay & story, best 3DS graphics game showcasing what the 3DS is capable of if hard work is put in.

Third - Uh it's up for grabs between MGS 3D and Paper Mario sticker star.

16. EZ-Megaman

Member EZ-Megaman Likeanator

United Kingdom
    Tales of the Abyss was released last year, so I don't really think it counts. It's the game I spent the most time on (really, over, 300 hours and I replayed the game, which I don't usually do),
    I'd have to say that Kid Icarus Uprising was great too, but it was kinda short for me, and my internet sucks, so I haven't been able to play online.
    I'm currently playing Sticker Star, which is also pretty fun, but I'm not playing it excessively, like I am with the other two games.
    KH 3D had fun gameplay, but I got tired of the story. It did last me a good amount of time, though.
    I'd say that Tales of the Abyss would be my favourite, but if that doesn't count, then it goes to Kid Icarus by default. I should pick up VLR after playing 999 (even if they aren't directly connected), though.

Black-Ice likes this.
  17. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Kid Icarus
    Kid Icarus
    Oh, and I forgot to mention Kid Icarus!

(I loved NSMB2, Sticker Star, and Tales of the Abyss)

18. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    But you liked Kid Icarus more?

19. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Kid Icarus Uprising was short? Don't tell me you got fooled by the trick ending.

And Tales of the Abyss came out February 14, 2012 in North America. So I would say it counts.

20. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Virtues Last Reward rapes all other game, and if you say otherwise you're wrong.

porkiewpyne and XPro like this.