What was the point of the WBFS file system?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by leafeon34, Jul 25, 2017.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Back in 2009 in the really early days of USB loaders we didn't load a .wbfs file from an NTFS or FAT32 formatted hard drive. We had to format an entire portion of a hard drive to WBFS (Wii Backup File System). USB loaders have undergone huge improvements in the last 8 years.

But I beg the question, was there any point to the WBFS file system in the first place? As far as I know it was just Waninkoko trying to fuck with the scene. Something he did very well if you read through some old hackmii posts.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    My guess would be easier to handle. Less of a Hassel to format your USB drive.
    Also improvement to these loaders also allowed your SD card to load games and still be supported by the wii it's self with FAT32.

Of course you could probably have a loader that reads an .iso file but the .wbfs seems to shave off any extra unused disc space which is also useful. Not to sure, when I arrived on the hacking scene in 2011 it was the norm to use these .wbfs files.

3. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Was because all we had was wbfs formatted partition to work with

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    There probably wasn't a FAT32 or NTFS library at the time.

5. Sticksandstones

Sticksandstones GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    United States
    Your question:
    Your answer:

GreyWolf is right. Earlier, WBFS was just what was made to support USB loading through Wii before they figured out how to add support for more common file systems.
    That was the point of it back then, but now that we have FAT32 support, WBFS is completely obsolete. It's not uncommon for backups to still be in .wbfs format outside of the WBFS file system, since loaders still recognize these in FAT32 file systems.

6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    The more recent versions of libWBFS were virtualized. They can open FAT32/NTFS/ext2 as if they were a WBFS partition and read the disc images that way. The "disc.nfo" file contains the data that a WBFS partition header would have had.