• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What was the point of revoking net neutrality?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Net neutrality promoted competition among broadband ISPs, and after it was repealed the biggest ones worked quickly to consolidate power. Now we've basically got only two major broadband ISPs in the US, assuming you don't want shitty unstable DSL anyway, and so these corporations got exactly what they wanted. No need to worry about throttling speeds for the smaller/local ISPs, because they no longer exist.

Until the de facto duopoly was in place, we didn't have data caps for home internet in my state. We do now though, courtesy of Comcrap.

Last edited by Xzi,
  • Sad
Reactions: Henx

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Until the de facto duopoly was in place, we didn't have data caps for home internet in my state. We do now though, courtesy of Comcrap.
I only pay $11 more per month for unlimited data through Comcast. It's worth it to me, since I seed my MediCat USB torrents 24/7.

Reactions: Xzi

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Net neutrality was not just about ISP choice. Something they could do now (but luckily have not) is throttling certain services like Netflix and sell you fast access in a video streaming package or similar. It's pure ripoff.

Reactions: Jayro

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea, I didn't see any changes. Comcast had caps before and after the Net Neutrality changed.

Imo Net Neutrality died when Binge On was okayed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4OywilYauQ