what was the biggest game letdown for u this year

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by CJL18, Dec 29, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Sonic Boom was dead on arrival so that's not exactly a huge disappointment considering we already know the turd was coming.

2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I agree 100%! Personally disappointingness doesn't equal bad. As destiny was more disappointing then sonic boom bu was also by far the better game.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    They release fight sticks for games like Street Fighter even though they're inferior, simply because some people are still used to the old arcade layout for fighters.
    It was a nice gesture by Nintendo to release GCC support for Smash, since there is a large following of fans from the two previous generations that are used to that layout. But I don't for a second think it would have REALLY mattered. People like myself who are used to the gamecube controller would have just learned a new layout. I probably could use the Wii60 controller just fine with a bit of practice, the 3DS Smash proved that well enough. I'm quite proficient on my 3DS without having to plug a gamecube controller into it.

4. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    Bravely Default. Crap story, grindfest. Didn't enjoy it at all.

5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    god forbid you for call the almighty arcade sticks inferior. not really
    in the vast experience I have with the relationship between people and technology I have learned that normal people isn't willing to change anything, even if is more useful/easy/whatever, just because they are used to the old methods.

remember Windows XP?? people where preparing his torches and pitchforks because they changed the start menu and now they can't let it go to the point that in Windows 10 they restored the start menu after the mayor revamp that was the start screen in Windows 8.
    and if you are gonna argue that that was a radical change, every mayor change was as radical as the start screen in Windows 8
    taskbar and start menu?? sure you didn't had that back in Windows 3.1.
    ribbon menu?? now no one can find anything in the old menu bar of Office 2003.

/offtopic
    ko, my letdown was Destiny. I was promised a Borderlands without memes and I got a Borderlands without Borderlands.

6. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    The arcade stick is still optimal for fighting games. The only other controller I'd say is potentially a viable alternative for 6 button fighters is a fight pad

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Except it's not in the slightest. Properly using a controller is much more optimal than using the gigantic ungodly arcade sticks. Fight pads are basically just a horribly laid out controller, so while they're easier to learn to use they're no more or less optimal than a standard controller.
    They exist simply out of preference because fighters only ever used to be played in arcades. There's not actually any advantage to them.

8. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    using the triggers feels pretty unnatural with the 6 button set up. The stick can be easier to enter more complex commands too, but I can see some argument for a controller possibly being faster

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Mario Kart 7. I know it was released in 2011 but I only got to play it this year so it counts :P

10. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Narcissism in its existensiality

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    Watch_Dogs, even though I enjoyed it.

11. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    timbuk2, kamtucky
    Castleian for Game Boy.
    But I just played it yesterday, so it's okay.

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Psycho!

May 5, 2013
    United States
    haha, I had that game. I don't think I ever got past level 2.

13. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Why was that a letdown?

Probably Mario Kart Super Circuit for me. The game sucks.

14. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Divinity: Original Sin.
    The text itself is so damn boring it really ruins the experience.

15. Jiehfeng

Aug 15, 2012
    United States

It wasn't as good as Ubisoft said so and it's a very repetitive game, like assassin's creed.

Trevor Belmont likes this.
  16. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Destiny of course, it was ok, but it wasn't anything special. I played it on PS3 and as much I wanted the gameplay to hit me with a 2004 moment, it fails very much in that department.

17. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    The biggest letdown for me was Dragon Age Inquisition. I even upgraded my PC for this specific game...

Having grown-up with CRPGs, especially those from Bioware, this game was an abomination. It is not an RPG. It is an action game with cutscenes and a dialog wheel. Bad action, bad story, and horrible dialogs and voices... 5 hour content filled with mmo quests to pad the time to the 100s... A useless timesink.

Not to mention that despite using one of the best engines around, its graphics suck, and it is unoptimised... And its mouse and keyboard controls are hell...

Overall, a really bad game, and the last one i get from Bioware...

18. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    Actually, so far the whole "next-gen" has been a letdown. The only good consoles to own right now are the 3ds and the Wii U. Especially if you have a PC to play most multiplatforms anyway...

19. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Well I do admit that's somewhat true, the PS4 isn't really a letdown. It has a lot of upcoming exclusives and that what Sony does best. If you wanna talk or think about a let down, we give that to the Xbox one.

Trevor Belmont likes this.
  20. Jiehfeng

Aug 15, 2012
    United States

So... So far the PS4 isn't a letdown, cause it has upcoming exclusives? What?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted