What was something you REALLY didn't like about older consoles but no one seems to mind that much?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by 330, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Artificial loading screens are already a thing.

2. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer The real slaphappygamer

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    When there are too many baddies on the same horizontal line, that they kind of disappear. Always hated that.

ry755 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Wait...you're saying this is a bad thing? :creep:

VinsCool likes this.
  4. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    You could do just that if you had a GameShark. Cannot remember what version, but I think it was the "pro" version that had that feature.
    Mario Kart 64 is another one.

Speaking of Mario Kart 64, what I hated the most about it was in order to save ghost data, you needed one controller paks for every course you want the ghost data to save. If you wanted multiple ghost data from one course, then another controller paks is needed. So in short, ghost data needed an entire controller paks to save to with maybe a few blocks to spare. Okay perhaps it isn't my most dislike, but the cost at that time is pretty steep and cumbersome.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Wii U, not being able to flash our NAND backup back to the Wii U without a hard-mod. (We have full control of the system, what's stopping us?)

6. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The fact that game consoles didn't come with USB ports until the PS2. And even the, you couldn't use them for save data or games until hacks came around.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Does the first part really count though? I mean, USB didn't become a standard until 96/97 ish, by then the only consoles released after were the Dreamcast in 98 and then the PS2, which had USB.

It's a bit like saying "one thing I hate about the Atari 2600 is it didn't have 100 person online multiplayer!" Yeah, cuz it didn't exist yet :P

Second part though, yeah, it was kinda annoying the PS2 had USB capability but you couldn't use it for memory card storage. Though I suppose it did make sense at the time of original release, as I imagine people would rather buy a slightly expensive memory card instead of super expensive USB drives back then. The Slim PS2 should've added USB memory card support though, would've been a worthwhile upgrade over the fatty one.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N can't think of anything creative to put here

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Reminds me of when I was a kid, when I tried plugging my brother's PSP into the PS2's USB slot, and being confused as to why nothing was happening.

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...consoles were actually among the first supporters of USB. :unsure:

10. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    having to plug in controllers before turning the console on

11. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    PC's had USB 1.0 during the PS1 era.

Memoir and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Sorry...but that's simply not true.

From this source: "The USB 1.0 debuted in late 1995 and transferred data at a rate of 12 megabits per second.". Wikipedia states it as January 1996, but seeing how USB didn't became a standard for years that isn't exactly wrong (I bought my first own computer in 1999, and specifically picked one that had USB because I had read about it in magazines...things like PC and mouse still used PS2 as default back then).

Release date playstation 1: late 1994 or 1995, depending on regio. And it's safe to say that the design of the thing probably took a couple years before that.

13. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    The Playstation Era... How long had the Playstation been out before PCs adopted USB? I actually remember my first PC (from 1996) Had USB 1.0... So, tell me. How is this incorrect?

14. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Yes,Paid online multiplayer on the 360.And look where it has lead us in the fanboy wars.A majority of people have switched to pc because of this.Consoles would be dead without exclusives,yet it doesnt defeat the fact that they are anti consumer,same with paid online multiplayer and no one has done a thing agenst it but wine and moan.

Last edited by Ominous66521, Mar 19, 2018
  15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    As I said, it took years before it really became the standard. If you were an early adopter (like you were), I guess you can dislike your console for not supporting it, but that doesn't mean it makes sense. I mean...you can complain in this very thread that PS4 and xbox one controllers uses micro-USB connections rather than USB-C, but that neither changes the fact that it wasn't around when the consoles debuted nor that it isn't currently the de facto standard yet.

16. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2015
    Antarctica
    I feel that Nintendo could have done better with the GameCube's system menu.

Jayro likes this.
  17. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    Personally I think the Gamecube, PS2, and the PS3/PSP's menu's were pretty cool. And the GCN and PS2's menu music were so relaxing, if not a little creepy.

18. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I didn't like the NES's lockout chip, that flashes the game on and off if it's not seated properly. Thankfully we NOW know you can disable it by cutting a pin, but back then that knowledge would have been much more useful.

19. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2015
    Antarctica
    The GameCube's menu looked cool, but it wasn't cool beyond looks.

20. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    The PS1 released on 1994. If your 1996 PC had USB you were a early day-0 adopter. PCs only started coming with USB by default in 1997. My calendar shows 1994 2 years before 1996 anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice