What was something you REALLY didn't like about older consoles but no one seems to mind that much?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by 330, Feb 9, 2018.

1. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I break all the warranties

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    Being old

2. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    lol. I like everything on older console over the new ones. No OS to load, game just starts. Never needs to be updated. you got 100% working console out of the box. The games were complete and less buggy. Memcard are good because saves are not locked to a console. You got a book and a poster with about every game (nes and snes era), No moving parts (cart console obviously). little to no security, no online DRM. Actual console specific utilization of its resources. What could not be better, Oh 1 thing is not better, blowing in a nes cart to get it to boot. Other then that not much for me.

KiiWii likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom

You know how "music was better when I was a kid" is a false concept because all the dross has long since been forgotten. Same thing applies here. Also http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/ is laughing at that notion.

Is that an issue now? I seem to have profiles that can shuffle themselves around online and on cheap and cheerful USB devices.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/cf2/cf2.htm

Just leaky batteries, capacitors and dodgy connectors.

What does page 45 of the manual say to this question?

So devs were forced to go all http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html ? Why is that better than almost anybody being able to rock up and make a game just like anybody can rock up and type a book out.

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Amiga and C64 are both home computers though, not consoles. C64 at least did have the option of running games from cartridge, though tape was far more prevalent in the European market.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am sure someone, somewhere wrote their dissertation or something on a C64 and something something babylon 5 CGI done with an Amiga. However "games" was the primary thing for most users of such things, and absolutely nobody would be surprised to hear any given one was a games machine, they got tip top versions of games at the time (barring some awful ports I would say the Amiga probably has the best version of any given game in the 16 bit era), the makers of the devices in question clearly cared about games and I could continue these points for a while.
    To that end I don't find it a particularly useful distinction.

Also why does cartridges or not play into this?

6. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Honestly, for me it's 3 things, although 1 is more about the games themselves...

Having to find and buy Memory Cards separately for consoles like the PS2 (which btw could just use the USB ports or internal HDD for Phat one to store saves there and on a LOT more space than 8MBs), SOME controllers (almost exclusively Ninty's though because wtf is wrong with them thinking I want a spaceship-looking controller?:rofl2::glare:) and the last one which is more for games is how clunky movement was for some because of ridiculously stupid SDK limitations Sony and Ninty put in their dev kits just because...

7. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Austria
    handhelds without backlight

memory cards
    controller cables

8. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    not being able to play the freaking scope games on my snes since i got a LCD screen.

DarthDub, 330 and KiiWii like this.
  9. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Yessss! +100

I recently bought aimtraks to combat this on my RPi3.

.. thought I havent tested snes games... yet.....

10. Jack Daniels

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    i can play the games with wii mote and a wii, but i wanna play it on the real snes! i got it working again a few months back to find out about 10 games i used to play bugged me out... no one made a solution for this, even though it got limited bt support by using 8bitdo wireless controllers. i wished someone took the tome to make a way of fixing this... (i know at least one problem that needs attention: for an air mouse or wiimote you'll need an option to calibrate...

KiiWii likes this.
  11. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock

12. Jack Daniels

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    10 fps isn't right... should at least be 24 fps

ThoD and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  13. VinsCool

VinsCool Neges Singula

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    - People leaving discs loose on dirty surfaces.
    - RF connections only systems. (Yes I am aware that adapters/mods exist)
    - Non ergonomic controllers (n64 in particular).
    - Loading times (grown up with cartridges based consoles).
    - The stupid NES design, making cartridges hard to read unless you know your system with a picometre precision (and people blowing cartridges over and over are annoying. It is NOT the thing to do. Contacts not being wearing on are the problem, not the invisible dust that becomes moist, making the contact rust, thus rendering the problem aggravated on the long run).

@TotalInsanity4
    10 FPS? Were they a N64 user?

14. Jack Daniels

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    an old tv (fat screen,cannon tube, CTR) needed 24 fps to proces so everey game console showed a some sort of 24 fps, though they only could do so by repeating the same pic over and over again , and resolution was 240x200? at least that's been the worst resolution i've seen so far... i loved the 1 bit coloured game consoles...

15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    She was "just guessing"

VinsCool likes this.
  16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    ROM cartridges load immediately instead of having to wait for the tape player and/or disk drive.

Also I did use a C64 for word processing years ago. (Word Writer 3 with some dot matrix printer.)

17. Jack Daniels

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    labyrinth on my ZX81, played it for hours... though it sucked compared every other console there was until there was the ultimate destroyer of fun: psx never had a funny moment on a psx/ps2/ps3/ps4/xb/xb360/xbone, it really sucked and not in a nice way.

18. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    i was talking about console not computers.

19. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N can't think of anything creative to put here

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Oh yeah, I suddenly remembered something my dad said to me when he was first setting up my PS2 when I was a kid. He was getting frustrated hooking up all the wires, and the controller wires were getting tangled, so he said something along to the effect of "Wireless controllers will become the norm in the future. Mark my words."

Fair enough. That game came out around the same time I was born, so, my sources may be a bit secondary on it. :P

This is gonna sound really really stupid, but, as someone who grew up on a PS2, I actually have a strange affection for loading times. Yes, they can totally break a game's flow and leave you staring at a blank screen for 15 seconds, but there's just something melancholic and peaceful about some loading screens (the early ones, the ones with no music or fancy animations in the background) that I can't help but appreciate them. I sometimes miss seeing the phrase "NOW LOADING..." appear in the corner of my screen. I'm dead serious.

Maybe, in 10-15 years, we're going to get indie devs who purposefully put artificial loading screens in their games. It could work if the game happens to be story-driven, and the loading screen is a way of creating suspense or leaving the player on a cliffhanger before the next scene loads.

That, or I'm just being a nut.

20. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Hay guys! I'm just going to come next to you, and bump a little into your NES/SNES/N64 or pretty much any older cartridge based console. WHOOPS, did I freeze your game? Sowwy!

330 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice