What WAD works well with Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SkylarTheNerd, Apr 12, 2018.

1. SkylarTheNerd
    OP

SkylarTheNerd GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2017
    United States
    A room at the Neutral Milk Hotel
    I know the title is corny, but I like alliteration. Anyways, which WAD installer is the best, in your opinion? I'm trying to get WiiWare titles and channels, btw

2. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Yawmm, wadmii, mmm

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  3. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    just use an emunand with your USB loader, usb loader GX supports it, less chance of accidental brick, more space for saves and stuff and no need to use the main wii menu as opposed to just your loader

SkylarTheNerd likes this.
  4. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    I use Yet Another Wad Manager Mod, although I also have WiiMod Lite sitting on my SD card.

5. Ljonja

Ljonja Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2016
    Bhutan
    YAWMM - Yet Another Wad Manager

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    not just any "YAWMM"
    please, use THIS ONE : https://github.com/FIX94/Some-YAWMM-Mod/releases

It's the most recent release, It has been updated by Fix94 to work on both Wii and vWii.

This version doesn't need cIOS anymore, no IOS236, no cIOS249 etc.
    It just works with IOS58 and AHB access, no more negative error number users don't understand.
    be sure you use the provided meta.xml too.

On the other hand, like said above, You could use emuNAND instead because your NAND is space limited.
    EmuNAND will allow you to install more game at once, prevent banner brick your console, and you can have multiple region.
    it's just a little harder to setup for few games which require Neek, but for these games you can use your real NAND if you don't want to bother with neek. it's just less safe.

Last edited by Cyan, Apr 15, 2018
    SkylarTheNerd and YOUCANTSTOPME like this.
  7. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    Yes, use YAWMM.

MMM is really old - it doesn't even work with Motion-Plus controllers.

8. SkylarTheNerd
    OP

Jun 8, 2017
    United States
    Thank you! You've given me a few things to consider

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's important... Thanks

9. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    There isnt't really much else to consider tbh lol, Cyan gave you the most definitive answer you'll get.

10. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Isn't there still a risk of using an ahbprot enabled app to install system files if said app is launched via the HBC and there isn't an internet connection?

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the internet connection has nothing to do with AHB access.
    At best, the internet connection is related to the cIOS installer itself (because it uses either internet to get WADs on NUS, or the WAD on SD for offline install).

AHB has nothing dangerous, it only allows developers to access hardwares (NAND/Flash content) and memory (IOS RAM address) without the need of a patched IOS to do exactly the same thing.
    cIOS are used to patch an IOS function to allow NAND/Flash access, and patch Trucha bug (signature check).
    AHB is used to patch the SAME function than cIOS, except it's done in memory and the user doesn't require any cIOS installation.

AHB or cIOS have exactly the same risk, though it's not the method to get full access which represent a risk.

Using a Wad manager with AHB is easier, because users don't need to install cIOS236 anymore to get NAND/Flash access. a lot of users never understand the "reload IOS slot" meaning, and what they had to choose. They often thoink they are installing Wads into that slot (ex. "I chose to install cIOS 249 into 236 !" which is wrong)
    It's not more dangerous than using cIOS236 or 249 in regard to possibilities that a user can do to screw its file system. To me, it's even safer because of less cIOS install step needed and the developer only enable needed patches instead of having all functions patched in cIOS.

Nintendont uses AHB, it doesn't have any system file install risk. Same with USBLoaders, WiiMC, etc.
    the risk is the tool itself, not the method it uses to get NAND access.

Last edited by Cyan, Apr 16, 2018
  12. SkylarTheNerd
    OP

Jun 8, 2017
    United States
    I'm deciding between YAWMM and emuNAND

13. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    use YAWMM for all your channel install on real NAND (for example, USBLoader's forwarders)
    try emuNAND, no risk trying it except losing your time and learning things :P

EmuNAND Guide I wrote:
    https://gbatemp.net/posts/6592730

It might miss few things, I'll rewrite it soon.
    let me know what's not easy enough and need precision or full rewrite.

14. SkylarTheNerd
    OP

Jun 8, 2017
    United States
    Awesome, thanks. I don't plan on doing this until much later in the year. I just wanted to know before I got into anything. Luckily, I actually have two Wiis, so I can try both at the same time, and see which works best