What version PassMe Should I use?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Mchart, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Mchart
    OP

Mchart GBAtemp Fan

Sep 25, 2005
    United States
    Chicago
    By using this method you can find out your DS's firmware version, thus telling you if you need to purchase a passme or a passme2.

-CREDITS TO MAHE FROM THE GBADEV.ORG FORUM-

Original Thread - http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=7961&start=0

Margen67 likes this.

2. ConraDargo

ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Dec 29, 2003
    Sweden
    So only if both screens turns either yellow or dark green - PassMe2 is needed? Pretty neat trick, thanks for telling [​IMG]

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Mchart
    OP

Mchart GBAtemp Fan

Sep 25, 2005
    United States
    Chicago
    BTW, it would be nice if a mod would sticky this, as this is very useful information.

4. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Next to the serial number database, this seems really worthy. Sticky plz.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Mchart
    OP

Mchart GBAtemp Fan

Sep 25, 2005
    United States
    Chicago
    It's useful because it will make Joey shutup on which version passme he should buy.

6. djgarf

djgarf I Am A Raver

Former Staff
    Oct 24, 2002
    England U.K.
    both the screens on my ds turned green (the ds is from the uk mario kart bundle bought on day of release) so i guess a passme1 will be fine [​IMG]

oh and i will sticky this too

*edit* seems someone beat me to the sticky [​IMG]

7. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Pffft, and I'm the Pirate King.

8. squirt1000

squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

Banned
    Jul 14, 2003
    Devon, UK
    Bugger, My UK MK bundle DS spat out the yellow screen [​IMG]

9. MC DUI

MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 30, 2003
    Newcastle, Australia
    Excellent post!

That was the question constantly getting asked that I had no real answer for. Thanks for posting.

10. ConraDargo

Dec 29, 2003
    Sweden
    Today I flashed a "clean" silver DS, using a SuperPass1, that was showing dark green screens in PictoChat.

11. Menacie

Menacie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2005
    I get light blue screens?

12. Beanz

Beanz Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2006
    Brum
    Thanks been looking for some way to tell firmware version before i go out and spend money on the hardware.

Typically though mines a UK silver DS with the NEM ****** serial (bad sign already) and the screens went yellow [​IMG] so its looks like i'm going to hold out for a UK suplier of PassMe2.

Thanks again.

13. camx

camx GBAtemp Fan

Nov 17, 2003
    United States
    colorado USA
    sorry to bother anyone. but for some reason i'm considering a passme for my DS purchased oh, the week it was released.

i have two EZFA 256 carts, the red ones with the white linker that uses the GBA link port to interface with PC USB. i only explain that because this card at one time was very popular and now i really dont see many people (aside from madbob) talk about it. i dont care about playing commercial DS games at all, frankly i plan on buying as many games as i can. i want to do the homebrew stuff, run emulators, etc. if i cant use this cart with a passme i dont want to bother, so can anyone confirm or deny that the EZFA 256 works this way? thanks!!!!

14. Dhaos033

Dhaos033 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Wow thats pretty neat. What is strange is that I get the dark blue/grayish screen, but i just bought my DS a week ago. I guess Best Buy still had some left over from a long time ago?

15. ConraDargo

Dec 29, 2003
    Sweden
    Yes there are still some old silver consoles left on the market, nothing too strange about that.

16. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    A little off-topic, but according to the list on the passme website the EZFA-128 works with passme, so I'd assume the 256 does as well (...at least I hope it does)

Source: http://www.dspassme.com/docs/html/pm_07_flashcarts.html

17. chushev

chushev Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2006
    What are the odds for a FW4 silver DS if i buy a refurbished one from the US?

Edit: And yet another quiestion. I found a deal here that offers a "Pre-Modified FlashMe Firmware" DS. Does this mean that i don't nead a PassMe device but just a SuperCard (for instance) to run any hombrew/roms?

18. skywarp

skywarp GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2005
    United States
    New York
    Yes, that's what it means. Althou a few carts have higher compatibility running through a passme than with flashme, IE EZ3.

19. Mchart
    OP

Mchart GBAtemp Fan

Sep 25, 2005
    United States
    Chicago
    Don't buy from aheadgames. Check out their rating on reseller ratings.

20. camx

camx GBAtemp Fan

Nov 17, 2003
    United States
    colorado USA
    yeah i saw that thanks though Psyfira. problem is the cards have always been confusing, so i never really know if they mean the true EZFA or a knock off name shifted one. i'm going ahead with the superpass i guess, its inexpensive and i guess if it doesnt work i'll go ahead with a 1g cart just for grins.