What Version Of The M3DS Real Should I Get?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by KieranD, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. KieranD
    OP

Newcomer KieranD Member

United Kingdom
    Okay, so after looking over options I've decided to pick up an M3DS Real for my DS phat. The problems are that:

- I have no idea what version to get, if there even are different versions
    - I don't know where to buy, remembering that I live in England
    - I want to play homebrew games/ ScummVM DS and media, and don't know what size microSD would be best.

If you could answer any of the three I'd really appreciate it.

2. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    There is only 1 M3 real, however it comes in different packs

1) The standard rumble pack - as it says on the pack - has a rumble pack
    2) Rumble Ram - the rumble has ram in - enough to surf the net but not enough for GBA roms
    3) Perfect / Deluxe pack has 2 plug ins Rumble and the expansion pack, used to play GBA Roms

Make sure you get a US/EUR version if you are buying overseas as they are region locked.

I bought the perfect (from dealextreme.com but it took 3 weeks to turn up) and I buy 8GB micro SD, most are fine, I have had them off eBay as they are cheap - or play.com (their own)

Perfect pack about £40, Rumble about £30

Posts merged

Sorry forgot to add, the prices included the micro SD

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Get the rumble pack
    Its the cheapest and the expansions are for DS lite only, so...

4. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    if i remember correctly, the perfect bundle comes with an extra phat casing so you can just screw the other casing onto the GBA expansion and use it in the phat.

5. Barsoom

Newcomer Barsoom Member

United States
    Get the standard M3. It seems to me that only around 0.1% of games use rumble, and it's optional for those anyway.

No idea about ordering from England but I'd recommend kickgaming, realhotstuff and gameyeeeah (as of a year ago). Never order unless something is stated as "in stock".

For cards, any brand should do. 4GB is a lot, may as well get 8GB though. Get at least a Class 6 (speed). If the speed isn't advertised, don't buy it. Slow cards can stop stuff working.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    +1 for the perfect bundle

7. Golin

Member Golin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd go with the Rumble Bundle since I have not found the need to play GBA games and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald can't migrate onto Pearl/Diamond/Platinum via flashcart to flashcart.

8. KieranD
    OP

Newcomer KieranD Member

United Kingdom
    I'm not really planning on playing GBA games, but definitely GBC/GB games. I think I'll go for the perfect, as none of the others have ways of using the expansions with the DS phat...? Is that right?

9. KieranD
    OP

Newcomer KieranD Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry to double post, but I thought it'd be more noticeable.

@Kittymat:

Seeing how you're the only UK poster, I was wondering if you could post a direct link to the perfect pack on the cheapest/best site you've used, please?

10. Kittymat

United Kingdom
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14165 This is the one I ordered from deal extreme $42 with free delivery

If you want to wait for the GBA pack you can buy the rumble bundle and the GBA pack later

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2728 This is the EUR card
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18873 this is the expansion pack

The wait is about 3 weeks but there is no delivery charge, as for the micro sd I have bought many from eBay, class 6 is only required for very few games - most have no issues running a class 2 (I have the sandisk 16GB class 2)

I can tell you the links I have sent to you get you a real card not a fake - there are several sites selling fakes (Inc Dealextreme - but at least they tell you!). Then get the latest Sakura software and away you go

11. KieranD
    OP

Newcomer KieranD Member

United Kingdom
    I've just remembered that my DS is American (who knew?). So will the first link you provided work with my DS?

12. aphirst

Member aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

Germany
    Yeah, the two types of M3DS Real are "Asia" and "US/EUR". So that one will work. [​IMG]
    Well, both will *work*, since there's no DS-side region-encoding - but you can't run the English Firmware on the Asian M3 (without a serious amount of pratting).

13. KieranD
    OP

Newcomer KieranD Member

United Kingdom
    So if I get the Rumble pack bundle (the one Mat linked to), will there be an adapter for the DS phat, or will I need to get the expansion box thing to get the phat adapter?

Also, will most homebrew work without the adapter? I seem to remember that Anguna DS needs it...

14. Kittymat

United Kingdom
    adapters included, just take the circuit board out of the black (lite) one and put it in to the phat one. Most homebrew works without it, it is needed for GBA roms, and you need some ram for the Browser.

15. mistwolf

Newcomer mistwolf Member

Australia
    Actually, with the pokemon migration works fine if you have the expansion card and Diamond or Peal; I've done it often. It doesn't yet with Platinum but I have no doubt it will in a release or two.

16. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    the rumble bundle doesnt come with any adapters besides the stock DSL one

17. KieranD
    OP

Newcomer KieranD Member

United Kingdom
    That sounds a tad complex, but I assume that there are instructions?

So, in the rumble pack I get:
    -M3 DS Real
    -Rumble Pack
    -Rumble Pack Phat Adapter

Then, if I decide that I want it, I can get the expansions? I think I should go for the rumble then, as I won't know how easily I can replace the circuit board in the phat, and I would be paying an extra $20 for something I might not be able to use.

So, so long as I don't need the RAM for Anguna, DSOrganise or ScummVM DS, then I'm good to go!

If anything above is incorrect, I'd appreciate someone correcting them [​IMG].

18. Styles420

Member Styles420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd recommend going for the full package (with GBA expansion) from the start - then the expansion only adds about $10 to the price, instead of $20+

when you factor in a second shipping cost for the second order, you'd be saving at least $14, which is nearly the cost of the expansion. And it is worth it - in addition to some fantastic GBA games out there, you'll also find some homebrew that just won't work without some extra memory (Quake2DS anyone?). I didn't think I'd need it at first either, but mine was ordered within a week of receiving my M3, and my only regret since is that I basically paid more than twice what I could have ($10 vs $26).

19. KieranD
    OP

Newcomer KieranD Member

United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure that on DX it equals out at $42...

Where did you buy it?

20. Golin

Member Golin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    On DealExtreme you save less than half a dollar if you buy it in the bundle and shipping is free. I'd just get the Rumble bundle and use it for awhile. When you do feel like you want to play GBA games get the expansion pack, but again I doubt it. Save yourself the $17.50.