what type of OS do you use on your computer?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dangster, Feb 27, 2013.

?

what type of OS do you use on your computer?

1. Mac

12.1%
  2. Linux

27.1%
  3. Windows

86.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Feb 27, 2013
  1. dangster
    OP

Newcomer dangster Newbie

Estonia
    well i dont know if this is the right place but i really need help on a research paper that im doing right now i need a lot of people to vote and if possible please explain why do you use that specific OS?

2. The_Hulkster

Member The_Hulkster GBAtemp Regular

If you're doing an actual research paper, you might want to look into doing an actual survey instead of some random poll.

3. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    At the moment I'm using Win 7.
    I got Puppy Linux on a USB drive and me server laptop, Debian on me server laptop and used Gentoo for a couple of years.

4. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    Using window 7. Not really interested in mac and linux. I've been telling myself to try out linux for the past 2 years.

5. jonthedit

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    I assume Linuz is Linux; if so I prefer Linux for file transfers and everyday use due to the fast file system and better download speeds.
    Windows scans every file on a computer, which is quite irritating and can cause slow downloads.

Windows = Good for Gaming; Good for Average User
    Linux = Just started getting Games ; No file scanning bs. Quick and efficient for server hosts and those who need to transfer huge/many files.

6. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Well since you're doing this for a paper and sounds like a legitimate question here's what you should write and then hand it over to your school teacher.

Hand that over to your teacher.

7. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I use Windows as my main operating system because I enjoy the way it looks, and it's simple for me. I used Windows since I was a kid though, so Windows layout is burnt into my brain at this point. Now, I also have a host computer I use for some Half-Life modifications and a Minecraft server, that is Linux. My host computer started as a Windows XP computer, I lent the computer to a friend and he "upgraded" it to Windows 7, which was not a good idea considering the specs on the machine. I would love to reinstall the Windows XP OS onto the computer but I don't know where to find a Windows XP Home edition CD. As of now though, the host will remain Ubuntu OS(Linux), and it works pretty flawlessly.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Between laptops, my toy computers, virtual machines, my towers, my servers and whatever else it gets somewhat complex. All manner of Linux and BSD distros, various versions of windows and more besides all feature on that.

@Narayan if you have a computer around the core2 vintage, ram around 2 gigs (4 gigs if you want to run your normal stuff at the same time) and maybe 20 gigs of hard drive space you can spare then grab a copy of https://www.virtualbox.org/ and go to town. As long as you do not go too exotic (and I would never suggest those for learning on) then most virtual machines will be built to handle them and spare you most hardware related issues.

As for the OP's request... a forum poll, especially for a place like this, is probably not ideal for finding out much of anything save what those inclined to reply to another of these topics (and we have had a few) use. If you need to do proper analysis various big websites will record what those that browse their website (though you can fake it and quite a few do to work around moron web developers your standard web browser sends what browser it is, what OS it is and quite a bit more besides when it connects to a web server*) are using and occasionally release the data.

*it is how things like
    [​IMG] work.

9. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Day to day, I use Linux. Occasionally, like right now, I need to reboot into Windows to compile something or test something if it's not possible in a virtual machine.

Like FAST6191 says, you might have better results by finding and using a larger dataset. NetApplications's http://netmarketshare.com is one of the largest out there.

EDIT: got to love how the poll is at 18.2% for Linux and 90.9% for Windows. I mean, it would be stupid if they didn't account for %109.1 of voters, wouldn't it?

10. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    [​IMG]

jonthedit, NightsOwl and McHaggis like this.
  11. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    Mainly Solaris 11.

12. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Well *clears throat, fixes tie*, Linux is far superior than any other Operating System.

[​IMG]

13. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I mostly use Linux, BSD, or really any open-source OS out there. So I have dabbled in OS's like React OS, Haiku, FreeDOS, Inferno, ect. ect. When I am bored I play around with other OS's to see what they have to offer.
    But I pretty much always use Linux myself.

Why do I use Linux? Well two of the biggest reasons is because it's free and open-source, which means I can pretty much mold it work the way I want it to work. As well, I feel restricted with Windows, like I am looking out of a window and not actually out there.

As for working the other OS's, I already said, I get bored and look to see what they have to offer. Since they are all free and open source, I can download them, test them, and many install them. I have used a few like Haiku for a few weeks to months from time to time. I just rarely ever stick with them like I do Linux.

14. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    Windows, I like playing all games.

15. Litagano Motscoud

Newcomer Litagano Motscoud Member

United States
    I use Windows.

More specifically, Windows 8.

If you want to express your disgust with me using Windows 8, do so now.

16. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit

17. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    This post has been rated Disgusting.

[​IMG]

Ammako, Fishaman P, TyBlood13 and 2 others like this.
  18. snikerz

Member snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Liechtenstein
    I use GC-Linux cause it's the only one that works on the Wii (my only computer)

19. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Packard Bell MB-85: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
    HP G60: Windows 7 Home Premium x86 SP1
    Dell D600: Lubuntu Linux 12.10

20. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I'm using Windows 7 right now and I have Chrome OS on a USB stick. I want to switch over to Chrome OS as soon as I can find a compatible sound card and some decent art apps