what type of OS do you use on your computer?

what type of OS do you use on your computer?

• Total voters

dangster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well i dont know if this is the right place but i really need help on a research paper that im doing right now i need a lot of people to vote and if possible please explain why do you use that specific OS?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
At the moment I'm using Win 7.
I got Puppy Linux on a USB drive and me server laptop, Debian on me server laptop and used Gentoo for a couple of years.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Using window 7. Not really interested in mac and linux. I've been telling myself to try out linux for the past 2 years.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I assume Linuz is Linux; if so I prefer Linux for file transfers and everyday use due to the fast file system and better download speeds.
Windows scans every file on a computer, which is quite irritating and can cause slow downloads.

Windows = Good for Gaming; Good for Average User
Linux = Just started getting Games ; No file scanning bs. Quick and efficient for server hosts and those who need to transfer huge/many files.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Well since you're doing this for a paper and sounds like a legitimate question here's what you should write and then hand it over to your school teacher.

I use Windows because i prefer to be free. I am a free man so i'd like my OS to be free to reflect my views. I don't like any other OS because they oppress their people and some rule with an iron fist limiting freedom of choice and shoving propaganda down your throat.

Hand that over to your teacher.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Windows as my main operating system because I enjoy the way it looks, and it's simple for me. I used Windows since I was a kid though, so Windows layout is burnt into my brain at this point. Now, I also have a host computer I use for some Half-Life modifications and a Minecraft server, that is Linux. My host computer started as a Windows XP computer, I lent the computer to a friend and he "upgraded" it to Windows 7, which was not a good idea considering the specs on the machine. I would love to reinstall the Windows XP OS onto the computer but I don't know where to find a Windows XP Home edition CD. As of now though, the host will remain Ubuntu OS(Linux), and it works pretty flawlessly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Between laptops, my toy computers, virtual machines, my towers, my servers and whatever else it gets somewhat complex. All manner of Linux and BSD distros, various versions of windows and more besides all feature on that.

@Narayan if you have a computer around the core2 vintage, ram around 2 gigs (4 gigs if you want to run your normal stuff at the same time) and maybe 20 gigs of hard drive space you can spare then grab a copy of https://www.virtualbox.org/ and go to town. As long as you do not go too exotic (and I would never suggest those for learning on) then most virtual machines will be built to handle them and spare you most hardware related issues.

As for the OP's request... a forum poll, especially for a place like this, is probably not ideal for finding out much of anything save what those inclined to reply to another of these topics (and we have had a few) use. If you need to do proper analysis various big websites will record what those that browse their website (though you can fake it and quite a few do to work around moron web developers your standard web browser sends what browser it is, what OS it is and quite a bit more besides when it connects to a web server*) are using and occasionally release the data.

*it is how things like
vipersig.jpg
work.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Day to day, I use Linux. Occasionally, like right now, I need to reboot into Windows to compile something or test something if it's not possible in a virtual machine.

Like FAST6191 says, you might have better results by finding and using a larger dataset. NetApplications's http://netmarketshare.com is one of the largest out there.

EDIT: got to love how the poll is at 18.2% for Linux and 90.9% for Windows. I mean, it would be stupid if they didn't account for %109.1 of voters, wouldn't it?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mostly use Linux, BSD, or really any open-source OS out there. So I have dabbled in OS's like React OS, Haiku, FreeDOS, Inferno, ect. ect. When I am bored I play around with other OS's to see what they have to offer.
But I pretty much always use Linux myself.

Why do I use Linux? Well two of the biggest reasons is because it's free and open-source, which means I can pretty much mold it work the way I want it to work. As well, I feel restricted with Windows, like I am looking out of a window and not actually out there.

As for working the other OS's, I already said, I get bored and look to see what they have to offer. Since they are all free and open source, I can download them, test them, and many install them. I have used a few like Haiku for a few weeks to months from time to time. I just rarely ever stick with them like I do Linux.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Windows 7 right now and I have Chrome OS on a USB stick. I want to switch over to Chrome OS as soon as I can find a compatible sound card and some decent art apps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s