What type of DVD-R do I use for GameCube backups!?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by sandwichbars, Jun 29, 2010.

1. sandwichbars
    OP

Newcomer sandwichbars Newbie

Australia
    I have may GameCube games and have backed them up through my Wii to my laptop. Now I want to burn the ISOs onto DVDs so I can use it on my softmodded Wii. Yesterday I (shamefully) bought a Memorex DVD-R 20-pack and the discs are absolute crap. I tried it on gcbackup, but it wouldn't load and the system kept on making weird noises so I took it out and threw it away.
    Does anyone know what kind of DVD-R is compatible with GameCube ISOs? Also, can anyone show me a detailed tutorial on how to burn them? Any help is welcome.
    EDIT: I'm using 4.2 firmware. and restored the trucha-whatever...

2. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I believe its the same for Wii ISOs. As its being read by the Wii disc drive, its being worn out so something that's high quality like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden will do. Burn at lowest speed.

Note that if it may be working now, it may "wear off" faster than if you burned at 4x.

3. fartos32

Member fartos32 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I use verbatim. Burn them with IMGburn at 8X speed. never had any problems. DO NOT go to 4X or 2X they give crap quality burns. To check the quality of your burn use this http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ it has a 14 day trial so don't bother buying it. You only need to check the quality of several burns burnt under the same settings to ensure they have a consistantly good quality. Then burn the rest of your backups under those same settings.

Dude. Burning at 4X produces terrible quality burns. I would show you a few, but my computer doesn't seem to like scanning the quality of disks.

4. sandwichbars
    OP

Australia
    ...I like where this is going....
    ...Continue [​IMG]

5. Hakoda

United States
    I'm not promoting this but perhaps it is your drive? Drives vary in which "speed" they perform best at. The reason so many people recommend 4x is because the Wii ISO is something that needs to be done with quality, done too fast and the drive will fail to read it. Perhaps 8x or 6x works but I've never tried it, I'm only assuming off the advice given by other Tempers. Also in general when data is burned slower the drive takes more precision in the job. I've also read to burn discs at half the speed the max speed is of the DVD. So the max is 16x, burn at 8x.

For example if I'd like to rip an ISO I need to do it at 2x or else when I reburn it, my Wii drive won't read it.

As for the OP, we're not going to start a forum fight if that's what your looking for. Some people have different experiences and he's just one of the lucky ones that can burn Wii ISOs faster than most. [​IMG] Perhaps I'm being too soft and should try it myself and put my money where my mouth is. I don't have time so OP, try whatever is better for you.

6. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    On this point, I'd like to add that, before the era of USB Loading, I used to burn all my games at 24x without problems.

7. sandwichbars
    OP

Australia
    @Hakoda: No no, It wasn't intentional, I just got caught up in the moment XD

I wasted 3 (THREE) DVDs using different write sppeds, but gcbackup launcher still doesn't respond past the logo unless I eject the DVD. Should I just invest in Verbatim DVDS (which cost about AUD$30 for 50) instead?

8. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
  9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
  10. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    Exactly what the drunken idiot says. :-) Although I PI/PIF scan a few discs from each different batch I get (even from the same manufacturer/factory) as there can be variance in the quality of discs. 8x or 16x is fine, depending on which discs are used.

11. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
  12. Hakoda

United States
    Okay then that proves it. I'm an idiot and waste my time with 4x burns, 8x it is [​IMG]

13. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Damn, I'm using cheap some 16x DVD+r that I bought from ASDA (Walmart), I burn using imgburn on fastest setting and they all work.

14. sandwichbars
    OP

Australia
    Thank you to everyone who helped me with this troublesome task! [​IMG]
    Too bad F-Zero GX doesn't work...

15. luckwii

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I always use Phillips 8X speed DVD-R for everything. They are fairly cheap, about $10 for 50. They work well for everything I do. I use IMGBurn to burn at 8X speed and have never had a bad burn. I don't see a need to spend the extra cash on Verbatim. Nor do I ever have a need to burn at slower speeds. If in doubt, verify when completed. Again, never had a miscompare with the above mentioned.

16. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    When did you buy your Wii? The new Wiis cant read backup discs.