What TV to get?

GamerzHell9137

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well my parents wanna change from their old CRT TV to a new one.
A friend of mine suggested me to get a Smart TV, parents would like 3D and Wifi so they can skype with me once i go to College.

I was checking our stores in town and found 2 TVs with the same price.

LG 32LA660S(Not sure if you get 3D glasses with it)

and

Samsung UE32F6400(You get 2 3D Glasses with it)

Idk much about TVs so mind if someone with more experience with them could help me to choose.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
IMO 3D TVs aren't really all that worth it. They're sort of dead on arrival, with not a whole lot of 3D content out there. You should try convincing your parents to ditch the 3D, that way they can possibly grab a bigger sized smart TV (or if size is limited, a better quality 32")

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D TVs are pretty much dead at this point. They never really caught on and so support for them is seriously dwindling. Few releases offer 3D anymore, and even when they do, the quality is pretty low.

They're probably better off getting a non-3D Smart TV and saving the money/putting it towards something else.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a 3D monitor and it's fantastic. There is a TON of content (3D animated movies, obviously videogames, etc) and if you have a usenet account it is easily leechable. There are two main types of 3D; Passive and Active. You should consider your budget and willingness to upgrade your pc. I am waiting for the Oculus Rift, so I decided to get a passive 3D monitor because it requires zero hardware upgrade, but slashes the resolution in half when watching something in 3D. A 3D bluray (about 15 gigs) still looks great, I haven't even tried any games yet but I'm more interested in the Oculus for that. If you want to maintain full resolution, go to a store and try Active, but be prepared to meet hardware requirements AND expensive glasses. Passive 3D glasses are dirt cheap. I love my $170 24" passive 3D monitor.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
We (Me and my family) recently bought the Samsung UE40F8000 (might be another number in your contry. In Sweden it's F8005 for example).
It wasn't all too expensive, but the quality of the picture is great! Also it has minimal borders and is really thin. The camera pops up when you press on it, and can be pushed down when you're not using it. Skype is preinstalled and it has wifi.
And it's 3D. (We've only tried 3D youtube videos, and it works great! 2 pair of glasses comes with the TV.

Out of the two you listed, I would personally choose the Samsung one, because I've always thought they have the best picture quality. (My own opinion)

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Choose Philips, LG and Samsung are not really good.

Philips looks like real, I mean you watch movies and you have the sensation you are looking for people outside a windows, not looking to people in TV.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well my parents wanna change from their old CRT TV to a new one.
A friend of mine suggested me to get a Smart TV, parents would like 3D and Wifi so they can skype with me once i go to College.

I was checking our stores in town and found 2 TVs with the same price.

LG 32LA660S(Not sure if you get 3D glasses with it)

and

Samsung UE32F6400(You get 2 3D Glasses with it)

Idk much about TVs so mind if someone with more experience with them could help me to choose.

Edit:Mod please change the Thread Name to ''What TV to get?''
Are those both 32"? My experience is you will not benefit a lot from 3D unless you have a really big TV. The effect is not deep enough and you get used to it quickly then you hardly even notice it.
But I guess it might vary from person to person.

Choose Philips, LG and Samsung are not really good.

Philips looks like real, I mean you watch movies and you have the sensation you are looking for people outside a windows, not looking to people in TV.
What, Samsung makes great TVs.

GamerzHell9137

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
3D TVs are pretty much dead at this point. They never really caught on and so support for them is seriously dwindling. Few releases offer 3D anymore, and even when they do, the quality is pretty low.

They're probably better off getting a non-3D Smart TV and saving the money/putting it towards something else.

IMO 3D TVs aren't really all that worth it. They're sort of dead on arrival, with not a whole lot of 3D content out there. You should try convincing your parents to ditch the 3D, that way they can possibly grab a bigger sized smart TV (or if size is limited, a better quality 32")

So to ditch 3D u say... hmmm...

Well the other 2D TV would be Samsung F5300 but i'm not sure if its good like the others, it is cheaper thou (150 Euro/200 $) Tom Bombadildo A bigger screen can't fit.

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wanted to say that Philips are so real that you forget you are watching TV, you have sensation that the people(from TV) are near you, real people.

GamerzHell9137

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Are those both 32"? My experience is you will not benefit a lot from 3D unless you have a really big TV. The effect is not deep enough and you get used to it quickly then you hardly even notice it.
But I guess it might vary from person to person.

What, Samsung makes great TVs.

Yup both 32 inch.
Btw they are ok with no 3D, i asked them.
The things that it needs to have is MPEG-4(I really don't know what that is, if someone knows please explain it), DVB T/C, Full HD and Skype.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yup both 32 inch.
Btw they are ok with no 3D, i asked them.
The things that it needs to have is MPEG-4(I really don't know what that is, if someone knows please explain it), DVB T/C, Full HD and Skype.
MPEG-4/H.264 is what is used by some TV providers to broadcast a DVB signal, the rest use MPEG-2.
So basically if you don't have MPEG-4 support, you won't be able to watch TV from those providers without a set-top box.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Get a demo in the store for both types of 3D technologies: active and passive. When I tried out Samsung's active 3D it made me dizzy and my wife and brother got headaches within a minute. And I consider myself pretty immune to the effects of 3D (never had problems with theater 3D or 3DS).

So I tried out LG's passive 3D and to me it felt much easier on the eyes. Plus the TV comes with 4 3D glasses and they don't require batteries. They're just like a pair of sunglasses. I ended up getting the 32" LG LA6620.

Reactions: yuyuyup

FireValk01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im going to go with an active 3d tv.i ordered a 60" samsung but im still waiting on a working one bc the one i recieved the screen was busted. the glasses you will get with the samsung are going to be battery operated. it will use a cr 2025 battery i believe. but the battery life should be quite well in them. i have active 3d in my laptop currently with nvidia nvision. the lg im not certain of but i think its passive. the passive in general i beleive doesnt give headaches as much. i would probably suggest they go with the passive(if on of them is indeed passive.)

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm really confused with the stuff >.<
I'll take my parents to the local shops to check the Demo TV's there.
It's simple. If the glasses need batteries then the TV uses active 3D. If they don't need batteries then it's passive 3D. Just check which one you and your family is more comfortable with.

Generally the active 3D is more of a pain in the butt. Replacement glasses are expensive and they have to be synced to the TV and batteries need replacing every now and then. You also lose the 3D effect when you tilt your head. None of this with passive 3D.

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy with my 60" Samsung plasma, although I've never bothered to test it's 3D capabilities. However, the firmware is a little glitchy.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
3D is not dead on arrival. I'm using Panasonic 42" 3D TV and its 3D effect is awesome.

I don't know much about those two TV, however i would pick LG over Samsung if pricing is about the same.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3D telly's are sweet but really not worth it unless you intend on keeping that telly for a long time (providing it still works since pretty much everything is made to break just after the warranty is expired these days)

Imho, Just get a smart TV (nonsense imho cause you got a telly for watching TV and playing games on, not browsing the web.. but meh)
You'll be better off with that and possibly also cheaper.

Reactions: migles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c