what tv is best for retro gaming?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by HappyBuddy98420, Feb 28, 2014.

1. HappyBuddy98420
    OP

HappyBuddy98420 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2014
    United States
    thats on amazon?

2. snake2

snake2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    As long as it has composite input you should be good.

3. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    If you're only going to use it for retro gaming, I think a good option is to hunt down a good CRT TV (such as a Sony Trinitron or similar). While they are bulkier and consume more energy, they'll provide a more authentic experience, and will have less visual delay and motion blur (which is a plus even for non-retro gaming). And if you take a look around, you'll see that there are a few people still selling them on Amazon.

4. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    An SD TV for old consoles like the NES, Sega or SNES.
    HDTV for Wii, PS3, Xbox 360 and so on.

Any brandmark is ok I guess.

5. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    "Best" would probably be a professional CRT monitor, like the Sony PVM series. The most common one you'll find available in a usable size would be the 20" PVM-20M4U, usually in the $200 range +/- $100 depending on condition. There's a 25" version that's much less common, which would be a lot better, and a lot more expensive. I have read that, although there are PVM's bigger than 25", they're not really any better than standard consumer-grade Trinitron televisions. Don't know if that's true or not, and they're pretty rare anyway.

"Normal enthusiast" solution would be a good quality TV from the last years of CRT, with composite, s-video, and component input. I prefer conventional curved screen types, but a lot of the TV's from those last years were flat screens. With a good JVC, Sony, Toshiba, etc, that shouldn't be a problem. But on cheaper brands, the flat screen CRT's actually had a cropped display, so beware.

Also I would add that the Wii looks best on a CRT, provided it has component input AND is genuinely capable of 480p display. I have a 36" JVC that can do this, and the Wii looks amazing on it, much better than on any HDTV.

edit: I think you're better off hitting a few pawn shops and craigslist than trying to find something on amazon.

/

6. javanni9972

javanni9972 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2014
    United States
    I would prefer a standard definition tv especially on the NES for games that requires the zapper