What to Look Out for This Holiday Season

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Sep 3, 2009.

Sep 3, 2009
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I'm bored...so, I'm going to take a look at some of the games I think folks will want to keep an eye out for as publishers make their holiday push:

C.O.P.: The Recruit
    Release: Nov. 3
    Ubisoft / Action-Adventure

[​IMG]

What many folks (I don't include myself amongst them, however) had hoped Chinatown Wars would have been, a 3D, open-world thing. I'm not getting my hopes up too much for this the game -- it's produced by Ubisoft after all -- but it's obviously one worth checking out for fans of GTA-style gameplay. The cityscapes look a bit barren to me, but it could still be fun.

_______

Rabbids Go Home
    Ubisoft / Adventure

[​IMG]

Another Ubi publication, and though the Rabbids haven't done much to speak of on DS thus far, I always hold out hope for those crazy critters. This one looks like it could be a mix of one of those Rube Goldberg puzzle games and adventure. Who knows...

_______

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
    LucasArts / Action

[​IMG]

Personally, I think we've seen enough Star Wars related "stuff" to last several lifetimes, but hey, it's Battlefront...on the DS. I'll give it a go -- no doubt about that.

_______

WireWay
    Konami / Action

[​IMG]

Konami, in my opinion, don't have a much better track record on DS than Ubisoft, but this game looks like it could be a lot of fun. I've really gotten into the recently released Go! Go! Cosmo Cops! (still playing it), and this seems to draw upon similar inspiration. I'll be looking forward to this one, too, when it releases.

_______

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans

Release: Nov. 10
    Namco / RPG

[​IMG]

I believe the Japanese version of this game has been out since April, but for most of us, this will be the first opportunity to partake. I'm not the biggest DBZ fan (I prefer the regular Dragonball, and even then, I'm not that into it), but I likes me some RPGs, and the whole Dragonball thing is growing on me.

_______

Call of Duty Modern Warfare: Mobilized

Activision / FPS

[​IMG]

The first one was decent, World at War was better, and another good shooter is always welcome on DS, as far as I'm concerned. My gut tells me it won't be great, but when the pickings are slim (and you're a pirate), you gladly take what you can get. Am I right?

_______

Phantasy Star 0

SEGA / RPG

[​IMG]

Again, already out in Japanese, but English-speaking folks will finally get a stab at it this holiday. I played some of the J version and dug it, so I look forward to being able to tackle the game fully when it releases for the States.

_______

TMNT: Arcade Attack

Release: Nov. 11
    Ubisoft / Action

[​IMG]

This one's pretty iffy, especially after Reshelled, but it's nice to see a new TMNT brawler come to life. Folks are already squawking about it being in 3D, but I like the look of it. Will Ubisoft mold it into an enjoyable game? [​IMG]

_______

Honorable mentions include: LEGO Indy 2 and Need for Speed: Nitro. But that's gonna do it for this list. December doesn't actually hold much interest, which seems to make sense, considering folks will be doing the bulk of their holiday shopping in November. I think we'll have plenty to tide us over, though, on DS alone. And considering September and October, I think it's fair to say that any threads related to "Is the DS dead" are mere troll fodder. Also, this is, by no means, a comprehensive list, and in the interest of discussion, please feel free to post your own additions you think people should watch out for.

2. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Here's another one

Summon Night X: Tears Crown

3. GhostToast

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    cool, good post. should add to it as more potential hits become available.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Everything looks nice to me outside of Dragon Ball (which I'll never like). I've heard things about COP but now hearing it as a "new style GTA clone" makes it sound good.

5. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    GTA is good i'll give that a go

6. Donato_Dobango

Member Donato_Dobango GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm not sure how I feel about that. I added Rabbids to my Hype Machine hoping to finally have a straight up 2D side scrolling platform game featuring the rabbids and sadly it looks a bit more like Lemmings or Mario vs. DK so far.

Rayman's 2D side scroller offerings were great, I wonder why they won't allow themselves to actually make a decent one for DS. The first Raving Rabbids was like a pale imitation of how good they all could be.

7. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    I wish Konami was still making the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games that was when they were still fun to play.

8. Fabis94

Member Fabis94 Xbawx playa

Latvia
    Sweet, those are some nice games. I was hoping for more, but meh [​IMG]
    Anyways, yeah the Rabbids games are a joke on the DS. For example, the one with the board game and many mini-games. A def shovelware title.

9. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Maybe its me but the whole lego thing died for me after the first/second one,now there becoming the type of games that won't go away....as for the list maybe dragon ball z,Phantasy Star 0 looks good (havn't played the (J) version) and TMNT kinda looks like the good ole nes turtles days not sure but we'll see.....

10. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Too many games coming during school days:(. Wish these had come out over the summer.

11. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Actually gonna tack on another of my own, though technically it's slated for the end of Oct. Either way, this game looks really cool. I'd heard of it, but IGN finally got the first footage, and woah! This game looks great in motion. I was thinking it would be another Orcs & Elves, but this thing moves like butter in real-time, with some particularly impressive fog effects in one scene.

[​IMG]

Check out this video of Fighting Fantasy.

12. andyp350

Newcomer andyp350 Member

United Kingdom
    Im really looking forward to:
    - Professor Layton (not out in UK yet)
    - Kingdom Hearts
    - Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    - Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics
    - Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story
    - Scribblenaughts
    - Space Invaders Extreme 2

13. moodswinger

Member moodswinger GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Harvest Moon: Shining Islands comes out November 10 2009.

14. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    No Bowser's Inside Story! C'mon, that's my single most anticipated game, second going to Scribblenauts.

15. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Guess you didn't bother to notice the whole nov-dec. in the title.....

16. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Cop, COD, and Phantasy star 0 look great. I may give dbz a try. Everything else looks rather meh to me. Thanks irpacynot

17. Dwight

Member Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

United States
    Fighting fantasy looks amazing. Thanks for that post. I now have a game to be hyped for that doesn't start with "s" and end in "nauts".

18. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    fighting fantasy, phantasy star zero, this time is heaven for ds

19. Sanderino

Member Sanderino I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone

Netherlands
    Sounds like good games are coming in Nov. great. [​IMG] But btw, I think Scribblenauts is going to suck for people who don't live in the US&A or in the UK. because some words are unknown for them.