Nicro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there,

I have an original (fat) NDS that still works fine aside from a quirk. I don't need it anymore and with it not being in top shape and the old model not exactly being scalperfood, I don't know what to do with it as it does not seem to sell even for delivery cost only. I don't mind not getting any money, but I don't want to throw it into the regular electronics-trash either. Is there still something it can be used for or alternatively can it be properly recycled?
As for the quirk, you have to put in the games into it in a special manner, pushing them towards the bottom of the DS. The cards still lock in place and none of the pins are bent but there seems to be a tiny bit of wiggle room on that axis making that a requirement.

I can completely understand the answer to this thread being "just throw it away", but I would like to ask for some advise anyway.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: IC_

Nicro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Give it to a friend or sell it if you really don’t want it, don’t waste it!
My train of thought exactly, I guess I'll ask around. Problem or more generally benefit is that all handhelds have backwards-compatibility up to the 3DS. Most people I know already have something newer, including myself. Though I have some kids in the family that might want this as a first console. Might be an option.

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use my original DS as a backup alarm clock for days I really have to wake up on time. Being battery-powered, it has a backup if the power gets cut to the charger. Also, unlike the DS lite and later, the screen's light actually turns off a few seconds after you set the alarm, preventing you from getting blinded. :P

Reactions: IC_

GaveUpTomorrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For things that I want to get rid of but no longer have a use for, I drop it off at my local salvation army or similar shop.
This could be a good option unless you have an immediate friend or family member who would rather have it.

D

Deleted User

Hey there,

I have an original (fat) NDS that still works fine aside from a quirk. I don't need it anymore and with it not being in top shape and the old model not exactly being scalperfood, I don't know what to do with it as it does not seem to sell even for delivery cost only. I don't mind not getting any money, but I don't want to throw it into the regular electronics-trash either. Is there still something it can be used for or alternatively can it be properly recycled?
As for the quirk, you have to put in the games into it in a special manner, pushing them towards the bottom of the DS. The cards still lock in place and none of the pins are bent but there seems to be a tiny bit of wiggle room on that axis making that a requirement.

I can completely understand the answer to this thread being "just throw it away", but I would like to ask for some advise anyway.
Thanks in advance.
If i where you I would keep the NDS. Just for Nostalgic Reasons alone.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey there,

Thanks in advance.
Stick a flashcart in it with a load of games and give it to a kid as their first console.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
keep it to use GBA + DS features in some games, like trading 3rd gen pokemon with 4th gen games or accessing the secret bossfight in megaman ZX using megaman zero 3

Sayora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Presumably, your Slot-2 isn't damaged so you can still play games that way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is possible to play ds roms from certain gba flashcarts.

PypeBros

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sylvainhb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Belgium
Being still developing on the NDS, I'd say the device is very valuable for those who would like, soon or not, to give NDS development a try. There won't be more devices produced, and running homebrew on DSi and 3DS is much more difficult. Maybe a hacking-club next to you might be happy to have it.

If you want to offer it to a kid, make sure he understands the move: he'll get something that will be unable to play moderns games. He shouldn't feel like you missed the point. Note that the clam/shell design of the NDS doesn't make it that robust for kids to use it. 8+ would imho be a minimum for the device to survive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands