NULL

What to do with an no longer used, working* original NDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Nicro, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Nicro
    OP

Nicro Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    Germany
    The Void
    Hey there,

I have an original (fat) NDS that still works fine aside from a quirk. I don't need it anymore and with it not being in top shape and the old model not exactly being scalperfood, I don't know what to do with it as it does not seem to sell even for delivery cost only. I don't mind not getting any money, but I don't want to throw it into the regular electronics-trash either. Is there still something it can be used for or alternatively can it be properly recycled?
    As for the quirk, you have to put in the games into it in a special manner, pushing them towards the bottom of the DS. The cards still lock in place and none of the pins are bent but there seems to be a tiny bit of wiggle room on that axis making that a requirement.

I can completely understand the answer to this thread being "just throw it away", but I would like to ask for some advise anyway.
    Thanks in advance.

Extrasklep likes this.
  2. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    Give it to a friend or sell it if you really don’t want it, don’t waste it!

3. Nicro
    OP

Nicro Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    Germany
    The Void
    My train of thought exactly, I guess I'll ask around. Problem or more generally benefit is that all handhelds have backwards-compatibility up to the 3DS. Most people I know already have something newer, including myself. Though I have some kids in the family that might want this as a first console. Might be an option.

4. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    Where are you located?

5. Friendsxix

Friendsxix Introspective Potato

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Best Hemisphere
    I use my original DS as a backup alarm clock for days I really have to wake up on time. Being battery-powered, it has a backup if the power gets cut to the charger. Also, unlike the DS lite and later, the screen's light actually turns off a few seconds after you set the alarm, preventing you from getting blinded. :P

Extrasklep likes this.
  6. GaveUpTomorrow

GaveUpTomorrow Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2008
    United States
    For things that I want to get rid of but no longer have a use for, I drop it off at my local salvation army or similar shop.
    This could be a good option unless you have an immediate friend or family member who would rather have it.

7. Nicro
    OP

Nicro Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    Germany
    The Void
    Located in Germany, Just like the little flag under my name says.

8. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Give it to a kid that doesn't have a 3ds, I'm sure you know someone who would really appreciate it.

comput3rus3r likes this.
  9. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    If i where you I would keep the NDS. Just for Nostalgic Reasons alone.

10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Hell, make a Gameboy Macro out of it! :D That's what I'd do!

dpad_5678 and TheLegendofMario like this.
  11. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    You know, people collect these things. I don't own a regular old DS yet... But I also don't feel like I need to buy one currently :D

12. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    My old DS is hidden in my nerdy-stuff drawer, just in case if my 3DS would end its life or something. It's still pretty cool thing.

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE likes this.
  13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Stick a flashcart in it with a load of games and give it to a kid as their first console.

14. cloudmaker

cloudmaker Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2016
    United States
    buy an R4 and play all the DS / gba games you want.

15. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    keep it to use GBA + DS features in some games, like trading 3rd gen pokemon with 4th gen games or accessing the secret bossfight in megaman ZX using megaman zero 3

16. PikachuR77

PikachuR77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    Presumably, your Slot-2 isn't damaged so you can still play games that way.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is possible to play ds roms from certain gba flashcarts.

17. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE Subarashii!

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    Use HaxxStation to and use it as a server:D

How much money for you you to ship it to Alabama?

18. PypeBros

PypeBros Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2007
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Being still developing on the NDS, I'd say the device is very valuable for those who would like, soon or not, to give NDS development a try. There won't be more devices produced, and running homebrew on DSi and 3DS is much more difficult. Maybe a hacking-club next to you might be happy to have it.

If you want to offer it to a kid, make sure he understands the move: he'll get something that will be unable to play moderns games. He shouldn't feel like you missed the point. Note that the clam/shell design of the NDS doesn't make it that robust for kids to use it. 8+ would imho be a minimum for the device to survive.