What to do when I delete SD card contents by mistake

pumpkinpies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all - so I unintentionally deleted the contents of the sd card that I had in my hacked wii.

I reinstalled what I though was a backup of the sd card but now when I turn it on, bootmii doesnt start when it did before and the apps installed on the sd card dont work anymore (emulators, usb loader).
So my question is what do I do from here ?

Do I just go through the process of hacking it again to get it back to working order ? Do I need to uninstall the hack first and then redo the hack ?

Just hoping I havent screwed it all up and can get it back to working hacked order.

TIA

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

- BootMii needs two Folders:
One in "apps" with the BootMii Configuration Editor Files
and
on the Root of your SD Card the Folder "bootMii" with the Configuration File.
You can get the Files here -> HackMii

For the Emulators:

- Which ones please ?

For the Apps:

- Which ones please ?

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

pumpkinpies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi I just checked my second wii and it does not have a bootmii folder in the "apps" folder and works just fine so not sure if that is the problem here.

I think the problem is that I lost the original configuration file that was created when I first hacked the problem wii.

So now bootmii doesant work and neither does the apps I use which are mainly usbloader gx and the emulators for NEW, SNES, and N64.

Plus i dont think I have the boot.elf file that was created when i first letterbombed the wii, not sure if that matters or not.

Last edited by pumpkinpies,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
U never "undo" a hack to resoftmod it, u just install hacks to overwrite older inferior mods. You can check if your softmods are up to date by generating a syscheck report and posting it here, or even better just drag and drop your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/
Modmii.github.io

In your particular case, if u just save your emulators and other apps back onto your sd card, it will probably work mostly as it did before even without updating your mods. You can get a lot of just for fun apps like emulators and usb loaders from modmii classic's download page 2. Or the homebrew browser might work too, or there's always manually downloading each.

For bootmii to start as launch u need to save the bootmii folder to the root of your sd card. If u have bootmii installed as boot2, it will start when powering up. If u could only install bootmii as IOS and not boot2, and u want bootmii to load at startup for some reason, priiloader can be configured to do this.

Get the bootmii sd files from Modmii's download page 2, or from here http://static.hackmii.com/bootmii_sd_files.zip

@Alexander1970, if u can try to avoid sharing the bootmii files and instead link to the hackmii site that is probably better. Thx dude!

Edit: btw there are obviously data recovery tools that could be a potential solution here, like getdataback but example, but probably not worth the effort when the files can easily be redownloaded.

If u had roms and stuff on the SD card that may be harder to re-download, modmii won't help u get that stuff, but still they're not hard to find

pumpkinpies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks - yes i had bootmii installed as boot2 and it ran on startup. But now it does not do that, the system starts and i get a black screen for awhile and eventually the wii home page will start. So something has gone missing/wrong.

I do have the apps back on my sd card as I had before. They show up on my home screen as I had forwarding channels installed but when I go to start them the wii just hangs and goes back to the home screen. They also dont show up when i go to the homebrew channel.

so the best route of action is to run modmii ?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The forwarder channels will show on your home screen / system menu even if there's no sd card or hard drive plugged in. If this is the case, or if the devices are plugged in but are missing the app in question, in will fail to load and return u to the system menu as u described. Forwarder channels each have a unique path to a boot.dol or elf file, so there's no easy to way to know exactly where they are pointing, but I would start under the assumption that they forward to the app's standard path. For example, if you have a nes emulator channel, chances are good it forwards to /apps/fceugx/boot.dol.

So yeah, sounds like maybe you are still missing some apps, which you could re-download from modmii classic's download page 2 or elsewhere.

First thing u should really do is confirm apps are launching properly from the hbc, then after confirming that u could troubleshoot your forwarder channel issues.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I just go through the process of hacking it again to get it back to working order ? Do I need to uninstall the hack first and then redo the hack ?
No, no & no!
They show up on my home screen as I had forwarding channels installed but when I go to start them the wii just hangs and goes back to the home screen.
You only have the was channels installed, but you are missing the actual files in the apps folder, only then they should work, and appear in the Homebrew Channel as well.
They also dont show up when i go to the homebrew channel
You need to copy the homebrew files/emulators to the apps folder in your sd card.

pumpkinpies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow i cant believe this - i spent the better part of my afternoon trying to troubleshoot this and all this time it was just a faulty sd card adapter !

transferred the sd card to a different adapter and all is fine - sorry to waste everyones time !

one other little minor problem i seem to be having though is that I am trying to load N64 games from a usb drive using wii64 and it keeps giving me an error "error opening directory "usb;/wii64/roms" and i definitely have the roms in that directory - any idea what this could be ?

pumpkinpies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes i can load roms for NES and SNES emulators just fine. it also holds wii and gamecube games and they load just fine.

It is just wii64 giving me the error. and yes it is FAT32.

pumpkinpies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so i re-downloaded wii64 and now i can get that to load off of a usb drive so we are good there.

now for some reason i cant get usbloader gx to load games off of a usb drive. i tried re-downloading that as well but still no dice.

it will read the usb drive and display all the games but when i choose one the screen goes blank for a bit and eventually goes back to the wii home screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over