Hacking What to do? Want to play Pokemon Ultra Sun but must update?

firefist202

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I bought Ultra Sun, but when I click it, it asks me to update my system to 11-4.0-35U, but doing that will remove Homebrew. I run Soundhax on a N3DS, and don't know much about Homebrew. Mainly use it for genning pokemon.
I've heard Homebrew will go away if you update, and its harder to get it back? If so, how would I get it back exactly. I know I can just play it through the region lock player, but that requires me to go into homebrew every time, and I might accidentally update if I forget to open homebrew instead.

How exactly would I get Homebrew back, if I were to update? Just do the same thing as getting it the first time? Appreciate the help.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
But isn't that risky? There was a ban-wave in May, and if another one happens, I don't want to get banned.
It's up to you. You can either install CFW and keep homebrew and play Pokémon US and have an 0.1% chance of being banned online (where you can unban easily in like 5 minutes) or you can keep 11.2 and not play Pokémon US at all, or you can update without installing CFW and lose the ability to use homebrew but be able to play Pokémon.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll just hop into this thread to re-assure the OP. Here's what I do (since Thursday):

I have an unmodified 11.6 SysNAND for real games, real eShop etc
I have B9S bootloader installed, so that I can run EmuNAND
I have EmuNAND with no internet access where I have mainly old games that have been converted to .cia. My EmuNAND also has a different theme so there's no mixing it up with SysNAND.

I didn't really want 11.6 SysNAND. I wanted 11.2/11.6 Hybrid SysNAND, but no-one would help me with that since it didn't conform to their ideology. In the end I installed 11.6 via the official update process because a helpful guru told me that I could still restore a full NAND back-up of 9.0 by using GodTools9, and that since I had only made some small and specific changes to my SysNAND, the official update process would wipe those out and I'd be left with a perfectly clean official complete 11.6. It's pretty nice to have the latest and greatest firmware installed and still be able to use EmuNAND offline. Just to be clear, the update did not wipe out B9S bootloader - which is great.

Note also that with B9S you do need to keep a certain file on your SD card at all times or the machine won't boot at all. By you can just download a new file if you lose it. It isn't machine-specific.

Now, there is a fair amount of talk about Gateway being able to wipe B9S completely, but I don't yet know which specific action causes this wipe. You'd think there would be warnings up with the details of what not to do, but there aren't. Or if there are, they aren't very clear or specific. For now, I'm just not using the GW card until I understand the situation.

There's a page I found the other day detailing the most likely causes for bans. It included sending system information to Nintendo, showing friends what you're currently playing, and running anything dodgy while online. This is why a clean SysNAND and an unlinked EmuNAND for emulation is my preferred solution.

If you are going to follow the guide linked above, be sure to read through it first and understand what you're doing. I didn't bother with the last page which was all about installing various homebrew tools. Any questions, hit me up.

GilgameshArcher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But isn't that risky? There was a ban-wave in May, and if another one happens, I don't want to get banned.
U are already at great risk if U used SoundHax and HB while online, because Ñintendo already have the log of this.
When using HB or games not released in your region, the good advice is turning Wi-Fi off and/or using incognito mode.

Last edited by GilgameshArcher,

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Now, there is a fair amount of talk about Gateway being able to wipe B9S completely, but I don't yet know which specific action causes this wipe. You'd think there would be warnings up with the details of what not to do, but there aren't. Or if there are, they aren't very clear or specific. For now, I'm just not using the GW card until I understand the situation.

afaik using any SYS firmware over 11.2 and trying to boot gateway, since gateway doesn't have firm protection 11.3 and over nintendo make it re-write stock FIRM, so you loose b9s.

if you want higher FW (latest 11.6 at this time) then you need to boot gateway on EMUNAND 11.2 or lower.

I don't use gateway so someonecorrect me if I'm wrong

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
afaik using any SYS firmware over 11.2 and trying to boot gateway, since gateway doesn't have firm protection 11.3 and over nintendo make it re-write stock FIRM, so you loose b9s.

I see. Thanks. I wonder why Gateway don't simply release an update with a fix. Not doing so puts their customers and only their customers at risk.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have an unmodified 11.6 SysNAND for real games, real eShop etc
I have B9S bootloader installed, so that I can run EmuNAND
Unless you're talking about two different systems, your sysNAND is modified. EmuNAND can't have B9S installed, that's on your sysNAND so you can access emuNAND.
It is only updating while in Gateway sysNAND that causes B9S to be wiped. You can boot Gateway mode on sysNAND over 11.2 (if you updated while on Luma) just fine but you'll get a black screen. I tested this myself and made a video.

firefist202

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has there been any recent ban-waves? small or big? Also, If I do get banned, how do I "easily" unban myself? I'm very new to all this.

Last edited by firefist202,

firefist202

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, this might be a very stupid question, but I'm very new to all of this.
Can't I just remove Homebrew, and reinstall it after I'm done the update?
If I just update, is there any way to get homebrew back without installing CFW?
Thanks

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Also, this might be a very stupid question, but I'm very new to all of this.
Can't I just remove Homebrew, and reinstall it after I'm done the update?
If I just update, is there any way to get homebrew back without installing CFW?
Thanks
If you update before installing CFW, you will lose homebrew and won't be able to get it back without buying a game (see https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(alternatives) for the few that work on 11.6) or having to buy an ntrboot capable flashcart for installing CFW (see https://3ds.guide/ntrboot). On your current firmware.you can install CFW for free so you should be taking advantage of that. If you update now you're locking yourself out of everything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you must inform the op that he'd need another system to unban, kinda misleading imo.
No you don't, you can use a public friend code seed.

firefist202

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you update before installing CFW, you will lose homebrew and won't be able to get it back without buying a game (see https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(alternatives) for the few that work on 11.6) or having to buy an ntrboot capable flashcart for installing CFW (see https://3ds.guide/ntrboot). On your current firmware.you can install CFW for free so you should be taking advantage of that. If you update now you're locking yourself out of everything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No you don't, you can use a public friend code seed.

Alright, I might just download CFW. Can someone please link me a video showing me how to install it? The website seems complicated, and I don't wanna screw anything up. Also is it true that getting a CFW won't increase the chances of me being banned?

Also I heard that Public friend codes are rare, and someone has to donate them. True or false?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Alright, I might just download CFW. Can someone please link me a video showing me how to install it? The website seems complicated, and I don't wanna screw anything up. Also is it true that getting a CFW won't increase the chances of me being banned?

Also I heard that Public friend codes are rare, and someone has to donate them. True or false?
Someone does have to donate them but they generally do, they can always be found. You really need to follow the written guide. Videos get outdated and they aren't checked to make sure they don't contain anything malicious (whereas as soon as there's any mistake in the guide it gets pointed out and corrected very very quickly, so it is always correct). If you follow a video you can't get any troubleshooting help, you'll be on your own. Whereas many people here know the guide backwards and forwards and can help you with anything you are confused about or stuck on.

Reactions: Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol