What to do against n00b-rom-requests?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Dragonlord, Oct 7, 2003.

Oct 7, 2003
  1. Dragonlord
    OP

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Featured Posts:
    Switzerland
    We all know that a lot of rom requests happen here and there and we've also discussed possible ways to solve them.
    Perhaps I found out why those mesures don't work.
    Entering the main page (with login, newest roms and the latest new roms) you have there thos topics like "NEW: Rom XXX bla bla bla". If those n00bs arrive at that page they just see this and a lot of screenies from roms and the new rom release list.
    I don't wonder they run into the forum to post a request for the rom XYZ they just have seen there.

You should perhaps place right next to each rom news entry displayed on the first page a Red-Letter-Alert like 'No Download or Requests for this Rom here!".

I guess this might really help.

2. Hexidecimal

Member Hexidecimal GBAtemp Ender of Worlds

Featured Posts:
    United States
    That's a pretty good idea

3. Bridgy84

Member Bridgy84 Yub Nub

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Ya i agree with that it will save some of those nOObs from getting ripped apart when they rom request. [​IMG]

4. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    It wouldn't really look good if it was posted all the time on the front page but it's probably the best way of doing things...

5. Myke

Member Myke so tasty!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    honestly, I think they will still ask "well since I can't download it here, where can I download it?"

a noob is a noob is a noob, who doesn't read the rules.

6. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Another thought to that is like a welcome page. Like:

"Welcome to GBATemp! If you look below you, you'll find the latest ROM releases and other news about GBA and the forums. However, please do NOT request for the ROMs themselves. This forum must stay legal, so we can't supply you with the ROMs. If you look in our IRC channel, #gbatemp, you might something otherwise... [​IMG] . If you're new, always remember to read the rules first, and thanks for coming to GBATemp!"

Wow, that was pretty elaborate for something off the top of my head...

7. cruddybuddy

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Yes, this noob problem has gotten WAY out of hand! It's like I can't breath anymore! Thousands of people have told me that they refuse to visit gbatemp because of the terrible noob population and all of their silly questions. Something HAS to be done about this RIGHT NOW!

8. Dragonlord
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Switzerland
    That's too long... a n00b can only read half a sentence before he clicks 'close'... You have to hammer this important info at him before he can even click away the winddow... and again... popup-windows don't work... take me as example (Mozilla/Firebird rules).

9. Maks

Member Maks -----MAKS-----

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    We could just lock down and allow no new members, this would halt the n00b population completely, just a sugestion

10. valhalla076

Member valhalla076 GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Austria
    I have said this before and I will say it again...

The more you try to n00b-proof the system, pardon the use of the term, the stupider the n00bs become. Not because they are stupid, just a perception, because you cannot imagine how they could do XYZ after you took all the time to come up with idea ABC to stop that.

In short, all I am saying is that no matter how hard you try to stop this, someone will always ask for ROM's, flame, etc. All you can do is punish them accordingly and eventually they will learn. This is what we have Mod's for. I think that you all forget how you were when you were n00bs. We all have done things like this before and we suffered the consequences, it is like that these n00bs as well.

*WHOOT!!! 100 posts!!! [​IMG] *

11. Dragonlord
    OP

Featured Posts:
    Switzerland
    Well... then I skipped the age of beeing n00bish... I always tried to find out what's allowed in a new place and what not. Ever heard of the nice proverbe (it's german, i translate it) "ignorance doesn't protect from punishment"? It's like heading into a country you've never been and you start doing something that's prohibited. You get punished for it... bang... no mercy. Thus if you inform yourself first in real life... damnit... do it in cyberlife too.

12. valhalla076

Member valhalla076 GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Austria
    I am not saying to let them run wild and free through out th forums. That is not what I am trying to say at all. My point is that ther needs to be a good balance between tolerance and hate. If we over n00b-proof the system and place all sorts of "don't do this" and "don't do that" messages all over the forum and website we are going to turn away and turn off alot of people. So I guess my point that I am trying to make is this:

No matter how hard you try, the n00bs will still do silly n00bish things. So you can sit around all day long thinking of ways to stop the latest n00b issues, or you can put that time to better use and play video games [​IMG]

Besides, eliminating the n00b problem will eventually eliminate the n00bs, which will in turn elliminate the site due to lack of new growth and new members. *IMHO*

13. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    But if n00bs don't request roms then we can't rip them apart anymore. What are we going to do with our spare time then?
    j/k
    Well I think it would look ugly have a piece of text saying something like 'There are No Roms on gbatemp'. I say just leave it as it is. I'm sure we can deal with n00bs that ask for roms.

14. GbaDoctor

Member GbaDoctor GbaTemp MaD fOrGeD DoCtOr

Featured Posts:
    Italy
    i've just posted somthing about this, in the staff area. i'm waiting the other mods for a reply, so we can see how we can do.

15. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    /me dreams of what goes on in the staff area [​IMG]

16. PhaTdrU

Member PhaTdrU GBAtemp's Phattest Member (o_O)

Featured Posts:
    Indonesia
    this n00b problem has been mentioned a thousand times before and i have yet to see any real good solutions (no offense guys). may be this new system will help us stop n00bs from rom requesting, but i highly doubt it......

17. Myke

Member Myke so tasty!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    stop giving out acounts =)
    or say something like If you request roms or rom links your account will be automatically deleted..and actually do it

18. alfre

Banned alfre Banned Member < it's true now

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands