What to buy?!

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Jaxtaylor, May 17, 2007.

May 17, 2007

What to buy?! by Jaxtaylor at 8:33 PM (887 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Jaxtaylor
    OP

Newcomer Jaxtaylor Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hey all, was wondering if someone would be so kind to help me out please - looking to buy a flash card for my NDS so I can play some...homebrews and emulators and have been looking around trying to decide which one is best for me. Everyone I ask seems to just send me to a FAQ somewhere, each of which seem to say the card they are talking about is the best around!!

It seems the most popular cards i've seen is the EZFlash V and the M3 Simply.

I'm assuming, I can place roms, apps, mp3's and the rest of it all onto these cards like any other external media, put it in my DS, and it all works. Is it honestly as simple as that? What's all this waffle of Passme? And am I going to be needing a Slot 2 card?

And on top of all of that, where's the best place (UK preferably) to purchase this card?

Thanks in advance.

J

2. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I would recommend the R4DS. It is the same as M3 Simply but it gets updates faster and has more support. When I say they are the same I mean they are made in the same factory and have the same circuit boards etc.
    You can read my R4DS review here, the GBAtemp official one here.
    I would recommend buying the R4DS or any other flashcarts in the UK from either SuperCardStore or CheapMod

- Sam

3. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    First off, lets establish your needs.

Do you want to play gba "homebrew" *wink wink*?
    Cause if so, you'll need slot-2 solution unless you go for the EZ-V 3-in-1 combo.

Now if you go with a normal slot-2 option, you'll need either a pass device or a flashed unit.

Leading flashcards presently:
    Slot-1: R4, M3 Simply, SCDS One (yeah..I know its still a leading option right?)

Slot-2: M3 Lite, G6 Lite

In its own category: EZ-V 3-in-1. Read the reviews on it and you'll know why [​IMG]

4. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Choosing a flashcart is a complicated business so first let's establish some things.
    1) Do you want it to use external memory (MicroSD) or internal memory?
    2) Do you want it to have cheat support?
    3) What is your price range?
    4) Do you want to be able to play GBA games on it?

- Sam

5. Jaxtaylor
    OP

United Kingdom
    Aha...ok...

1) I'd prefer External
    2) Not really bothered about cheat support
    3) Well, I suppose around £60 (based on what I've seen so far)
    4) Yes, I would like to be able to play GBAs on it.

[​IMG]

6. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Assuming you have a Nintendo DS LITE (i.e. not the original, Silver DS).

Then get:

R4DS + 1GB Kingston Japan MicroSD (Plays NDS stuff, DLDI Homebrew, Memory card is good for about 20 games)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1459 (The best price, but slow shipping of ~2 weeks)

£24

EZ-V 3-in-1 Expansion (Play GBA stuff, Opera Browser, Rumble Pack for some games)

http://totalgba.com/products_ez5.php (scroll down and its the 'Buy Now' with Free Insured Shipping to the UK)

£12.95

Giving you a grand total of:

£36.95

Which gives you some spare change too [​IMG]

If you have an original DS, then you can go ahead and purchase the R4DS and play NDS stuff. But you'll have to hold out till the full-size GBA shell is available for the EZ-V 3-in-1 Expansion.

This should pretty much have you covered for everything and is a v. popular combo.

Edit: It seems that DealExtreme is going through one of its random downtimes. Don't worry they'll be back up again soon just keep trying every once in a while.

7. Jaxtaylor
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank you, you wonderful amazing people. I love you. If you ever need a kidney... x

8. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    So, you goin with Xeijin's plan or you going another way? And remember, if you ever have any troubles using your new gear, you know what site to ask on [​IMG]

9. Jaxtaylor
    OP

United Kingdom
    Definitely going with Xeijin's plan - thanks guys. Will certainly be in touch if I get into any trouble. [​IMG]

10. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    If you require more space, I recommend the M3 Lite. Otherwise the 3in1 is perfect [​IMG]