What to avoid with a black wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kiriashi, Jan 22, 2011.

Jan 22, 2011
  1. Kiriashi
    OP

Member Kiriashi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I recently purchased a black wii after my day-one wii stopped loading discs properly.

Now then, I know that there is some sort of hardware difference in the black wiis that causes it to brick when performing backuploading with a certain method. But I don't know anything specific; I just heard that some time ago.

So I'd like to know what I should not when it comes to softmodding a black wii.

Thanks in advance!

I also a bit more to say that's not on-topic per se' in this forum section, but I figured it'd be better to keep my questions to one topic than to make one in the backup-loaders section.

Can someone reccomend a back-up loader to me that they use on their black wii? Thanks in advance for this too!

C;

EDIT: If it is of any use, the game in particular that I want the backupluancher to.. launch.. is Excite Truck; disc was left on the floor... and stepped on.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The new wiis only brick if you downgrade them, so don't do that (downgrading has not been recommended for over 2 years now anyway, so shouldn't be an issue).

Use Modmii or the Modify Any Wii guide to mod it and install a USB loader. Don't bother with disc loaders, they won't work on your new wii.

3. Kiriashi
    OP

United States
    Okay so disc loaders won't work.

What USB loader do you reccomend.

And I will check out that guide.

Thankies. :3

4. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    There is no hardware difference that causes a black Wii to brick when loading backups. However, you can brick your black Wii if you try to downgrade it (which you don't need to do anyway). However, the hardware difference you might be thinking of is that a black Wii cannot launch backup discs. The only way to play backups is to use USB loading. Since USB loading is your only option, I highly recommend Configurable USB Loader. WiiFlow is a viable alternative. If you have not done so already, follow this guide or use ModMii to softmod your Wii.

5. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can try all of them if you want. The apps are only a few files on the SD card. If you don't like one, just delete it and try another.

I used to like GX, but it seems like new versions are getting buggier. [​IMG]

6. Kiriashi
    OP

United States

Thanks for the reply. :3 I'm going to try Configurable USBL

7. Kiriashi
    OP

United States
    Alright so I installed IOS236 and now I'm trying to install 249 with cIOSX rev20b installer, but when I click Network Installation, it's stuck at the "Intilizing Network" Screen.

Whar's up?

When I try installing it with WADs it gives me a ret = -2 error. :<

EDIT Woops, didn't mean to double post.

Posts merged

Alright so I installed IOS236 and now I'm trying to install 249 with cIOSX rev20b installer, but when I click Network Installation, it's stuck at the "Intilizing Network" Screen.

Whar's up?

When I try installing it with WADs it gives me a ret = -2 error. :<

EDIT Woops, didn't mean to double post.

8. Lacius

United States
    First of all, the latest version of Waninkoko's cIOS is rev21, not rev20b. In order to use network installation (the easiest method), your Wii must be connected to the internet. In order to use WAD installation, the WAD of your base IOS must be in the root of your SD card or in the folder titled wad. Following this guide might make your life a bit easier and won't require your Wii to be connected to the internet.

9. Kiriashi
    OP

United States

Yes of course, I've met both of those prerequisites when attempting both methods, to no avail. [​IMG]

That guide doesn't seem to help in this situation. Nor does the guide that I've been following, which is linked to in that guide.

10. Lacius

United States
    Assuming you want to install IOS249 using IOS56 as a base (recommended), you will want your IOS56 v5661 WAD to be on the root of your SD card and titled IOS56-64-v5661.wad. You can use NUS Downloader to download it.

11. Kiriashi
    OP

United States
    That is correct. And it is named excatly that.

The only thing left I can think of is to try rev21.

12. Lacius

United States
    Are you sure you are using IOS236 to install it? If so, try using ModMii to download a WAD version of the IOS249 you want on your system and install it with WAD Manager.

Edit: You might also have a stub IOS249. Try using Multi-Mod Manager to delete yours stubs.

13. Kiriashi
    OP

United States
    A stub?

When I ran the USB Loader prior to attempting to install the ios249 it said I had a stub.

Is it not possible to install the 249 ios if a stub is in place?

14. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    No, because its a max'd out version number and can't simply be overwritten. It has to be deleted, and then intstalled in that "empty" slot

15. Kiriashi
    OP

United States
    Haha, that explains a lot. :3

I wonder why it didn't give me an error though, when I tried downloading the ios with the "Network" option. It just froze at the "Initializing Network" screen...

16. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Try deleting your Network settings, re-enter them and perform a connection check. It could also be flaky connection to Ninty servers

17. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    No it's completely possible, but if it isn't installing for some reason though, do what Lacius said and use Multi-Mod Manager and choose the delete stubs option.

If the cios installer still isn't working after that, try using Multi-Mod Manager to install a patched IOS 236

Also, it should be obvious, but just to make sure, for the network installation, you do have your Internet set up in your wiis settings right?

EDIT: double ninja'd? [​IMG]

18. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    One of his previous posts said hes already installed IOS236, obviously this is what you're selecting for the cIOS249 installation?

19. Kiriashi
    OP

United States
    Yes I have 236 installed. And thanks to you and Lacius 249 is installed as well! Yay progress!

Of course my onslaught of questions have not yet been conquered.

Configurable USB Loader now says that ios249 was not found and needs to be isntalled. Errm... I just installed it. With the Network settings (which work now obviously). It said installation success. : /

20. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Don't use CFG (not a fan) so can't really advise on that. I know with Wiiflow you sometimes have to do a "clean install" so new .cfg and .ini files are generated based on your new settings. Maybe try that? Unless a CFG user can advise otherwise