FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whoo two of this sort of thread in one day. I try to restrict myself but this got to me

So my cousin was round and brought his kids, in the age old distraction method of put on TV we found there were some kid channels in among it all, or should I say advert deployment methods. I know it is the run up to Christmas but damn.

Anyway one of the adverts was for the following toy
http://realconstructiontoys.com/

Back when I were a lad, and ever since, if a kid past about five has shown any kind of interest in making stuff they always got a real tool kit. I did once get talked to for using my dad's saw when I was 6 or so -- I had used his tenon saw because it felt like a good size to me rather than the big saw. Going by the kid on the advert and assuming that is the intended range then in about two years that kid will have a moustache better than mine.

Now building with foam is fun for all the family (see video below) but that did get to me, I know Doug Stanhope did say this generation will be the pussiest that has ever lived but I never really got it until now.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ha, I was always a tomboy, and that commercial would have peaked my interest. Although, not at such an old age as the "kid" in it. Maybe preschoolers (5-7). But then again, I love my swiss army knives (just spent two hours cleaning and polishing my usual swiss army knife) and will probably give one of my adopted nieces her first SAK when she gets older (of course with the permission of her parents).

Then again, I had a parent horrified at the thought of me carrying a tiny SAK anyhow. I'm like, dude, I just used it to trim nails, and open packages...not murder a person.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"Kid wood" sounds all kinds of wrong :unsure:

While the kid in the video looks 14, this product is actually aimed at ages that I really wouldn't trust with a hammer and saw. Even back in the days where men were real men and women were real men and kids were real men, kids would have to play with toy tools for years before they were given access to a workshop, and the fact these toy tools and kid wood (hurr hurr) actually let you build something makes this a step forward and not a step back.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was given a full tool kit at 5 years old, and I was not the exception at the time or since then. Power tools beyond power hand drill and jigsaw did not happen for a few years after that, though I imagine a scroll saw might have happened had my dad believed in them. Sure I have the scars to prove it but I also have all my fingers. Or if you prefer a transcription of a conversation I once had
"Why did you give him a saw? He will hurt himself"
"Probably, he'll only do it once though"
"Ah, OK"

Also yeah I was making this and was thinking I really did not want kid wood in my search history, though probably not as bad as that kids pix internet meme a few years back. I also realise I forgot to check how much they sell replacement dyed foam blocks for.

monzamess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone found a market (or so they think) and now kids can build useless floppy foam junk. Doubt it will go very far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling on you