What the hell at my cardbus device?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Dec 22, 2006.

Dec 22, 2006
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I got a laptop as a gift from my friend (fairly old. Intel P4, 40GB) but there was only 2 USB on it so I invested in a cardbus device that gives you 4 extra USB ports. Now, today my 120gb external hard drive arrived and when I plugged it into the cardbus device, it didn't recognise it. However, if I plug it into the laptop's own USB port, it works. Considering the drive is USB powered, does that mean the cardbus device does not draw enough power to power it? It's going to be a pain using the laptop's 2 USB port because they're designed too close together so I can only use one device at a time and one of them is always occupied by a USB Wifi device for wireless internet.

2. Zeros

Newcomer Zeros Newbie

United States
    It definitely sounds like a power issue. You could try a hard drive that draws less power or use a usb cable that has a pass through. That way you can plug both cords into the usb ports and still use your wireless usb stick. Here is a picture of the type of cable I am refering to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...sure+%2D+Retail

This is the enclosure that I use. It came with that cable. Good Luck.

3. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Yeah, the hub won't give enough power to the drive.

- Sam

4. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I'm giving serious consideration in buying a new laptop. Maybe one with built in wifi. I mean, look at how my laptop is trying to go online now.

[​IMG]

And the external drive is conflicting with the pc card. If I try to plug a device into the PC card while the external drive is plugged into the back, the laptop freezes. I really hope that the external drive isn't the problem.

5. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Get a USB hub with an external power source (== its own wall plug) and you should be fine.

6. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Seconded [​IMG] Or see if your current one can take a mains connection and just buy an adapter. Replacing the whole laptop sounds a tad drastic (and expensive)