Unfortune

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
Why did they patch the boot1 thingy so that we can't get BootMii as boot2?

They lose money!

Heres how it works:

Person with BootMii as boot2:

Bricks wii by accident --> Has a NAND backup --> Restores NAND --> Win!

Person with only Preloader and not BootMii as boot2:

Deletes IOS60 or something (something I see a lot on GBATemp
rolleyes.gif
) --> Black Screen --> Tries to boot Preloader --> Doesn't work --> Sends Wii to Nintendo for like 65$ --> Nintendo most likely sends the dude a new Wii --> In the end, NINTENDO LOSES MONEY.

WTF?! WHY ARE THEY SO STUPID??

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
THUG LIFE.
that's why.

basically, the people aren't even supposed to know about boot1 and boot2 and whatnot.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nintendo doesn't lose money on paid repairs.
And those other cases where people get a new Wii for free when they bricked it but still got warrenty well that's almost like stealing ...

Timmy5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They Don't lose money on repairs they can do
sounds like you are losing money.

Besides they lose more money if they dont block you because of pirates.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Timmy5000 said:

One could argue that piracy, or modding the Wii is costing Nintendo a lot of money. However, many people who wouldn't have bought a Wii to begin with, bought one so they could mod it. Then there's hardware sales, such as the Wii Motion Plus, which is required even for pirates who wish to play Wii Sports Resort. Most of the games people pirate wouldn't have been purchased by those individuals anyways, so there really wasn't a lost sale. Even then, most thrifty gamers buy used games, which don't help the developers at all, but only put money in the pockets of the second-hand game shop they bought that used copy from. So for every bricked Wii, every purchased Wii (destined for modding), and all hardware that is purchased for these reasons, Nintendo is selling first party hardware to a market share that otherwise might pass on the Wii altogether.

In the end, it's third-party developers who are really losing money. I also feel it's important for those who pirate to understand the importance of purchasing new copies of games they enjoy. Sure that new copy might sit on the shelf while you play your backup on a USB loader, but you are supporting GOOD games, and therefore they will continue to be made. For instance, I am going to buy Muramasa: Demon Blade, because I want to throw money at a game that deserves success, and will hopefully create a market for similar "unique" games to follow.

But Nintendo really is making a lot of money from modders/pirates, but only in terms of hardware sales.

playingsolitare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Preventing boomii being installed as boot2 is unlikely to hinder anyone from modding their console, it just increases the risk of it getting it bricked.

Secondly, most people who pirate never intend on buying the software anyway, so Nintendo isn't losing that much money. I mean it's not a 1:1 ratio of pirated apps to potential sales maybe 10% loss of sales. Anyhow, there's tons of research done on this topic, if you're interested read this book http://thepiratesdilemma.com/download-the-book

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are making lots of Yen
smile.gif
Nintendo has come along way from a Playing Card company.

Now the have the audacity to update Boot1 !!! How dare they patch holes in their software!!!! Write them a letter telling them how pissed you are that they patched Truncha.

Leave Luck to Heaven

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
Timmy5000 said:

One could argue that piracy, or modding the Wii is costing Nintendo a lot of money. However, many people who wouldn't have bought a Wii to begin with, bought one so they could mod it. Then there's hardware sales, such as the Wii Motion Plus, which is required even for pirates who wish to play Wii Sports Resort. Most of the games people pirate wouldn't have been purchased by those individuals anyways, so there really wasn't a lost sale. Even then, most thrifty gamers buy used games, which don't help the developers at all, but only put money in the pockets of the second-hand game shop they bought that used copy from. So for every bricked Wii, every purchased Wii (destined for modding), and all hardware that is purchased for these reasons, Nintendo is selling first party hardware to a market share that otherwise might pass on the Wii altogether.

In the end, it's third-party developers who are really losing money. I also feel it's important for those who pirate to understand the importance of purchasing new copies of games they enjoy. Sure that new copy might sit on the shelf while you play your backup on a USB loader, but you are supporting GOOD games, and therefore they will continue to be made. For instance, I am going to buy Muramasa: Demon Blade, because I want to throw money at a game that deserves success, and will hopefully create a market for similar "unique" games to follow.

But Nintendo really is making a lot of money from modders/pirates, but only in terms of hardware sales.

+1

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
This purely shows how much more smarter hackers are compared to Nintendo. However for every professional hacker, say Waninkoko, you get about 2000 noobs who screw up using his apps.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo doesn't lose a penny get real
tongue.gif
If people hear that you cannot mod your wii without the risk of brickin it, lots of new people will not even get into it. They would lose a lot more money if those people never buy games anymore.

oops_ur_dead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They dont give you new Wiis when you send them in for repairs, they give you a refurb. Which means that they wouldn't have sold that Wii anyway.
Not to mention the melt cost of a Wii is probably no more than $10.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's also in Nintendo's interest to curb piracy not because it has a drastic effect on them personally, and not just because it will take money out of the developers pockets. If a publisher knows a system is notorious for piracy they will stop publishing titles for it. Eventually the quality of games for that piece of hardware gets depleted and people stop buying said system. I'm to lazy to look, but I swear it was only a few weeks ago PSP & DS both made some big kind of PR move to say how they are going to really try to get strict on piracy. It's not because sony and nintendo are hurting directly, it's pressure from publishers.

Saying why would Nintendo block something that, say what you want, helps or at least aids piracy, is like saying a mall loses money for hiring security.

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
Timmy5000 said:

I agree with this guy 110%.
I couldn't have said it better.

But hey.., I thought Nintendo would not fix a System if they thought it was modded?
lol, I have 2 dead Xbox 360 that have been modded and have the E 74 error will Microsoft fix them for a small price?

Thank for any info!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi