Question What the heck does this mean!?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to publish a review and then got this popup from chrome.

upload_2018-3-29_11-44-3.png

Call me dumb if you want but i looked up the word... Embargoes.

upload_2018-3-29_11-45-37.png

So whatever embargoes mean, has something to do with bans. So am I gonna be banned for something? May I point out I never seen this before the many times I did publish reviews. :blink:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An embargo is for games that aren't out yet. When we get a game to review, it comes with one, saying we can't publish the review until X date. I'd imagine that popup is there for magstaff more than anything to avoid us accidentally posting a game review early and putting the site in hot water lol

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ exactly that. Publishers can set an "embargo" date on games where you are not allowed to publish a review before that date. If you violate that agreement, you risk anything from being blacklisted from receiving any more review copies of their games, to the site being issued a DMCA takedown notice or other legal action.

Generally this is not something that anyone except for mag staff will need to worry about, as they receive pre-release review codes for games from publishers.

Reactions: rileysrjay

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay but I'm just a normal member, does everyone get this notice when doing reviews? And how come I never saw this any of the 20 times I did do a review? :unsure:
Because it's new lol, simple enough

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's probably just an added annoyance to user reviewers. Maybe the message should be changed to make it a more general confirmation?
I mean the warning is there specifically to remind us about embargo, so making it a general warning seems to take away the point. I wonder if the message HAS to appear for member reviews, or it can be locked to just official reviews.

Reactions: Scarlet

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just figured it be fore more important people, like you, people who do get early games codes. Not me, who doesn't. :ninja:

“More important people”? lol
We’re all just people posting on a video game forum, it’s not as if this site somehow determines a person’s value based on some sort of perceived ‘rank’.
;)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“More important people”? lol
We’re all just people posting on a video game forum, it’s not as if this site somehow determines a person’s value based on some sort of perceived ‘rank’.
;)
I didn't mean by derogatory terms, I just meant the people who need to have a reminder, the ones getting codes like that. Besides, is not like I'm one of them, so I'm not even talking much better about myself. :P

Fair enough lol, I get confused between the two since it's Member Reviews and User-Submitted News.
Then I guess it's time for a change. MEMBERS!! RISE UP AND FIGHT, We are users no more, we are now members. :ninja:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.