Hacking What the advantage of Flash carts (GW,etc)over CFW

alepman90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys,
So I left the scene back in July, used to have GW+Emunand and ignored the whole CFW
since GW team was good with supporting their product, but I sold my 3DS with GW last Aug.
last week I received a 2DS with FW 6.0 .
And right now I don't know where should I start wasting another 60$ for GW (since I'm pretty familiar)
or keep my money and switch to CFW??

Attainable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW offers playing .rom files, as well as some new options for cheats.....
CFW can do pretty much everything else though.....probably not worth the 60, but up to you.

Reactions: alepman90

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys,
So I left the scene back in July, used to have GW+Emunand and ignored the whole CFW
since GW team was good with supporting their product, but I sold my 3DS with GW last Aug.
last week I received a 2DS with FW 6.0 .
And right now I don't know where should I start wasting another 60$ for GW (since I'm pretty familiar)
or keep my money and switch to CFW??
.3DS/.3DZ drag and drop rom support so no having to install games which can take a while
True region free support without having to use external sources like changing the region of your emunand or using NTR for out of region game updates/DLC.
Don't have to worry about emunand taking up 1GB to 2GB of space that you could have used for a game or games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can't you play roms (.cia) files through CFW??
Yes, with custom firmware you have the option for .cia based games. With Gateway 3ds you have the option for either .3ds/.3dz and .cia games which you can use to bypass the 300 game install limit that the home menu on 3ds has. 300 games as .cia while the rest are .3ds/.3dz.

Last edited by cvskid,

Vondosaurusrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
huh, no cfw on the n3ds has that, so now that I know I may just go and get myself a gateway soon

Edit: I mean most CIAs come region free but booting .3ds files instead of installing sounds nice + I wouldn't have to open the back of the console to access the microsd

Last edited by Vondosaurusrex,
Reactions: cvskid

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an O3DS/2DS, the only real advantage of Gateway over CFW is the ability to drag and drop .3ds files and play them and the ease of the cheat system. Everything else can be done with CFW as well.

If you have a N3DS, Gateway also offers the advantage of being able to launch 9.6+ games as cias, .3ds files OR retail carts (if you so choose) without needing to fw spoof the file first. In addition you can update your eShop to the latest version (eshop only, not the entire cfw) and be able to access the store normally and even download stuff in the background or sleep mode again (CFW users HAVE to use HANS, and cannot do sleep downloads because of this). With the new seamless switching between Classic and Gateway Modes, the combination of all these features actually makes Gateway a viable option to CFW for N3DS users.

That said even with a N3DS, there is absolutely nothing you can't do with a CFW that you can do with Gateway, it is just a slight bit more complicated. Gateway makes a lot of little annoying N3DS issues trivial.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent